• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    That's right, a Model 10-7 that was previously owned by Bubba. I was hoping to get a letter of authenticity but, I didn't get one. It seems that Bubba had an old 5 inch Model 10 and he didn't like the finish. Maybe Bubba had heard of the "frying pan finish" on some Glocks and wanted to duplicate it. Whatever the reason, Bubba applied several coats of spray paint or, my guess, one very heavy coat. I wasn't really concerned about the revolver, I had my eye on the grips. You can only imagine my disappointment when I got the gun home and discovered that the grips were not real ivory.

One thing about Bubba working on a gun, he cuts the value down the where it becomes a great deal for someone, such as I, that like to gamble and tinker. Mechanically, the revolver is just what you'd expect from an old Model 10. Smooth action and tight lock up, inside the chambers and bore are great. With it being a 5 inch gun, I expect it was an old police gun, no markings, though.

I'm going to take it apart and give it an acetone bath and see what lies under the paint. The grips look to have been in decent condition before the paint job. I'd like to be able to rescue the grips but I'm not sure how to remove the paint without destroying the wood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get ready to feast your eyes on my new Bubba Edition Model 10. Stand by and later I'll post some after pictures. I'm hoping for an improvement. OK, Here's the Before.

1071.jpg

1072.jpg
    Target Sports

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    1.) Send it back to Smith & Wesson to restore the original blue finish.

2.) Restore the grips to their original factory finish

3.) Put on a Tyler T-Grip

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Well, after an acetone bath and scrubbing with a stiff brush and some bronze wool, it doesn't look too bad. It had some wear near the muzzle and some freckling on the side plate but, not enough to get out a can of Krylon. It's nowhere near perfect but, to me, looks much better than it did. I put on a pair of period correct grips that did come off of an old police Model 10. They have a lot of wear but look right at home on this old gal.

I didn't give much for it and I don't plan to sink any money into it. It will be a fun gun to shoot, a truck gun, a throw around gun, that I won't need to worry about. I'm sure that it will be a good shooter, never had a Model 10 that wasn't. For less than $225, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Now, here's the After.

1073.jpg

1074.jpg

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    That's right, a Model 10-7 that was previously owned by Bubba. I was hoping to get a letter of authenticity but, I didn't get one. It seems that Bubba had an old 5 inch Model 10 and he didn't like the finish. Maybe Bubba had heard of the "frying pan finish" on some Glocks and wanted to duplicate it. Whatever the reason, Bubba applied several coats of spray paint or, my guess, one very heavy coat. I wasn't really concerned about the revolver, I had my eye on the grips. You can only imagine my disappointment when I got the gun home and discovered that the grips were not real ivory.

One thing about Bubba working on a gun, he cuts the value down the where it becomes a great deal for someone, such as I, that like to gamble and tinker. Mechanically, the revolver is just what you'd expect from an old Model 10. Smooth action and tight lock up, inside the chambers and bore are great. With it being a 5 inch gun, I expect it was an old police gun, no markings, though.

I'm going to take it apart and give it an acetone bath and see what lies under the paint. The grips look to have been in decent condition before the paint job. I'd like to be able to rescue the grips but I'm not sure how to remove the paint without destroying the wood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get ready to feast your eyes on my new Bubba Edition Model 10. Stand by and later I'll post some after pictures. I'm hoping for an improvement. OK, Here's the Before.

View attachment 303470

View attachment 303471
    Hopefully bubba didn't do surgery to it's insides. Those old model 10's are hard to beat.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Bubba didn't do anything that was permanent. Well, maybe the grips but, I have a friend that says he has saved grips that were painted. He offered to work on these for me. Since he has experience, I just may take him up on his offer.

Internally, the gun looks like new. The bore is shiney, rifling is sharp, chambers are shiney, lock up is tight, action is smooth. I doubt if the side plate had ever been off of it until I disassembled it.

It's nothing special, just an old revolver. I got it at a deal and I enjoyed working on it to see what was under the paint. I'll shoot it and I expect it to preform like any other Model 10.

My nephew has no revolvers so, I may give him this one some day. He needs some steel to go with all of the plastic he has.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Well, after an acetone bath and scrubbing with a stiff brush and some bronze wool, it doesn't look too bad. It had some wear near the muzzle and some freckling on the side plate but, not enough to get out a can of Krylon. It's nowhere near perfect but, to me, looks much better than it did. I put on a pair of period correct grips that did come off of an old police Model 10. They have a lot of wear but look right at home on this old gal.

I didn't give much for it and I don't plan to sink any money into it. It will be a fun gun to shoot, a truck gun, a throw around gun, that I won't need to worry about. I'm sure that it will be a good shooter, never had a Model 10 that wasn't. For less than $225, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Now, here's the After.

View attachment 303515

View attachment 303516
    Cant go wrong with a classic model 10.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands

Now, here's the After.

View attachment 303515

View attachment 303516
    You can still see that case coloring on the hammer and trigger. That’s a great ranch gun. Load some snake shot in there and you’ll be all set.

Top Bottom