• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    I just got back from a vacation to Pensacola/Pensacola Beach, FL.

While driving in Pensacola Beach (wife and kids in car), I stupidly made a last-second left turn from the non-turning center lane. Although I checked my mirror and looked over my shoulder, I didn't notice the Sheriff's vehicle at the intersection.

He pulled me over and asked if I knew why, so I figured it'd be best to fess up politely and get it over with - he asked for my license and went back to his vehicle, presumably to run my license/plates. He was polite and professional.

He returned and told me that he'd have to cite me for the offense, and asked for my registration and insurance, which I told him was in the glove box. He then asked me if there was a weapon in there (Florida - no duty to inform unless asked...he asked).

Me: No, officer, but I do have a Texas Concealed Handgun License, and I am carrying on my person right now.

Officer: Can I see your CHL?

Me: Sure thing - here you go.

Officer: You carrying anything else?

Me: No, officer - I looked up Florida's carry laws before I came here, and would like to make sure that I didn't fail to inform you of the concealed weapon I'm carrying.

Officer (Now more friendly than polite and professional): Nope - you're good unless I ask - by the way, how do you get a permit in Texas?

Me: I gave him the quick and dirty version.

Officer: Sounds good - are you military or law enforcement?

Me: Retired military.

Officer: Well, I'll give you a verbal warning on this, but be more careful while you're here (hands me back my licenses, registration, and insurance card).

All in all, I got out of a ticket that I really deserved. This was my first time getting pulled over since I've had my CHL. I didn't stumble over any of my answers, made eye contact with the officer, and kept my hands where he could see them.
    Guns International

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    It's nice to hear stories of the "nice" encounters with LEOs on traffic stops. I have more good than bad, and yes it does seem that once they learn that you ARE carrying, they seem more reluctant to write that citation.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Had to travel to Florida in '04 to take care of some Hurricane damage at my FIL's fish camp way out in a rural area.

No sooner had I got there, a sheriff's patrol pulled up as I was opening the the gate.

Asked me who I was, and what business I had.

Showed them my key to the gate lock, told them what my purpose was, and they promptly gave me a case of MRE's and a case of bottled water.

Before they left, they asked me if I had any firearms with me.

Yes, I replied: "A .22 Revolver and a .40 caliber Pistol".

Sheriff's deputy: "Shoot that Twenty-Two all you want, but the neighbors might complain a bit if you shoot that Forty."

Me likes Florida.

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    If there is one thing I might do differently next time (aside from the totally illegal turn), I think I'd hand the officer my CHL along with my drivers license and inform him that I'm carrying. Regardless of whtether there is a duty to inform, I think the officer would appreciate knowing it up front.

scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    If there is one thing I might do differently next time (aside from the totally illegal turn), I think I'd hand the officer my CHL along with my drivers license and inform him that I'm carrying. Regardless of whtether there is a duty to inform, I think the officer would appreciate knowing it up front.
    +1

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I'm curious, how do you hand over your registration when it's pasted on the windshield??

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    What I handed over as my registration was the form that came along with the sticker - I beleive it said something about needing to be carried in the car or available upon request - I didn't even think about telling the officer that it was pasted on the windshield.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    What I handed over as my registration was the form that came along with the sticker - I beleive it said something about needing to be carried in the car or available upon request - I didn't even think about telling the officer that it was pasted on the windshield.

I just looked at my papers that came with the sticker, it only mentions that it needs to be carried on commercial vehicles.

Thanks Mike.

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    Nice info, Johnny - good to know. I just got to Texas last summer so I'm used to the "registration" being in the glove box. I guess it doesn't hurt to keep the form in there.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Nice info, Johnny - good to know. I just got to Texas last summer so I'm used to the "registration" being in the glove box. I guess it doesn't hurt to keep the form in there.

On the down side, your name and address is on the papers as well as any proof of insurance info...thieves like that. Keep paper in your wallet.

Top Bottom