• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ULEWZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2023
    Georgetown TX
    Hate to say on a gun forum but in the time since retiring ham radio has gotten more of my time and money than guns.
    I have hoa restrictions on my property, so my ham radio gear just sits in a box. Use to have a Force 12 C4 beam on my 38 foot tower, but alas, no more. My extra class license is just a nice to have now.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have hoa restrictions on my property, so my ham radio gear just sits in a box. Use to have a Force 12 C4 beam on my 38 foot tower, but alas, no more. My extra class license is just a nice to have now.

I have HOA restrictions too, but just have a 20' vertical in the backyard that can't be seen from the road.
    It's no beam, but I've made hundreds of contacts in Europe, Japan, Russia, and South America.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I have HOA restrictions too, but just have a 20' vertical in the backyard that can't be seen from the road.
    It's no beam, but I've made hundreds of contacts in Europe, Japan, Russia, and South America.
    I'm also under HOA restrictions. I'm using an inverted vee at 25 feet. I plan to raise this higher and use the roof gutters as an antenna as well.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Got my technician license and will be testing Monday for my general license. Programing with chirp is much easier the on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chirp is a huge time saver. Makes it nice when you travel to pre-load the repeaters where you are travelling through to your radio.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Anybody ever try the slinky dipole antenna? I even have a brass slinky but never got around to try- HOA and is pretty flat around here. Might just go for it and wait for the warning letter and play dumb.

I've done it as my first try at an antenna in the attic. Didn't work well at all since the attic roof insulation has metal foil backing turning the attic into a Faraday cage. Outside it worked better, but had to use PVC pipe to keep it from drooping onto the ground.
    Finally got a 20' vertical and nobody could notice it.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Do a few practice tests on QRZ.com before taking the General Test. Good luck!

I’m using game radio prep app and it has been very helpful in getting me ready. The practice test aren’t the same questions and answers over and over again. I like that it changes up questions and even redoes the order of the multiple choice answers so you can’t just memorize the questions and answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    HOA other restrictions are supposed to allow exemptions for television antennas. Some of those huge television antennas with an antenna matcher and a bit of redesign can blend in many places.

I have my ham license and have using it more on the project list.
    I'm in a HOA and have a 100 foot wire antenna at 30 feet. It isn't easily noticed from the street due to the roofs and trees. The fiberglass mast will likely get extended to 43 feet soon. Using an Acom amplifier and a tuner I'm able to work 12, 15, 17, 20, 40 and 80 meter bands. I've never been on the 160 band so I don't miss having it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Urban and suburban restrictions make me think of the antenna that would raise up from inside a flag pole on Hogan's Heroes.

TAxo3_.gif

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Urban and suburban restrictions make me think of the antenna that would raise up from inside a flag pole on Hogan's Heroes.
    A flag pole antenna was on my list of options to get on the air if it became necessary. An HOA would have a very difficult time telling a vet that he couldn't fly an American Flag. Fortunately the HOA didn't present a problem.

Top Bottom