• ...and so much more!
  • glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    For you techsperts, I'm looking for a printer that is not HP that works when I need it to. I don't print much, and that is probably the problem. HP ink dries up if you don't use it and replacing the cartridges after only getting a few pages is expensive. Any recommendations?
    Texas SOT

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    For you techsperts, I'm looking for a printer that is not HP that works when I need it to. I don't print much, and that is probably the problem. HP ink dries up if you don't use it and replacing the cartridges after only getting a few pages is expensive. Any recommendations?
    Yeah, I got sick of the ink jet revolving door, then my all in one wouldn't feed paper any longer. We got a Canon color laser on sale, around $220, and it does duplex, is WiFi, and love it so far. Have not priced toner replacement as it should last us a while.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I switched to a color Laserjet. The ink never dries and makes great copies. But a bit more cost up front. And mine is an HP.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I got a HP Laserjet 5-6 years ago and have replaced the ink once during that time. Much of my printing is done on a 10+ year old Brother with one toner replacement during that time.

Last edited:

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    I haven’t had a printer in several years. I copy whatever I need to a thumb drive and take it to Office Depot or some such. It’s a few cents per B&W copy and secure. Just don’t forget your drive when you leave. I’ve only had to do that 5 times over the years.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Epson eco tank Printers might be just what you’re looking for.

I got tired of the HP printer cartridges. Also that’s what drove me to the Epson eco-tank’s

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I just replaced my HP with a brothers laser jet a couple months ago and am very happy with it. It prints quick, and it doesn’t tell me that it’s out of ink every time I use it(which isnt often) like the HP did.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

I got tired of the HP printer cartridges. Also that’s what drove me to the Epson eco-tank’s
    I've got 2 different Epson Ecotank printers at my house (one for regular, one for sublimation). They are great, but if you don't print something at least once week or so, you'll have the nozzles get clogged.

A laser printer is best for someone who doesn't print much or want to screw with head cleaning if you get clogs.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Epson Ecotank. Mine is an ET-2800. Purchased through Amazon with black refill bottles for less than $300.00. I'm very happy with the performance and ink usage over the last eight months or so.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I am assuming that you want color capable therefore you need either an inkjet (all of them are a pain) or a color laser (and cartridges are very expensive). Just threw away a HP color inkjet and have had a Samsung color laser that was cheaper than the replacement cartridges. For B&W I like Brother, for color I will go to the local UPS store. Anything that uses ink to print tends to dry out and clog up.

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Brother monochrome laser. Nothing fancy, just prints.
    This is what I went with and couldn't be happier. It just works. It's sad that that's all it takes to be considered impressive, but it is. Most printers are junk, ink jet is a blatant scam, and even the ink tank printers can have issues with ink drying out. I rarely print color so monochrome was kind of a no brainer. If I need to print in color, it's easy enough to order prints on Walmart's website and pick them up when I go.

Last edited:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County

I have an Epson et-2720 eco-tank and it doesn't dry up. I do have to run it through the cleaning cycle at times for color prints since I mostly print black. Wireless and no issues using after-market ink. I see the et-2800 is about $200 now.

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    Thanks for the answers, everyone. I've ordered replacement ink cartridges for the HP printer I now have, which should last a week before they dry up. By then I'll have found a new laser printer.
    Here is the deal on HP printers. They got in legal trouble for not allowing 3rd party cartridges, so they had to relent. BUT they get around it with their ink program. If you agree to that, it changes printer's firmware to again require HP only.

I was gifted an HP AIO, the included cartridges were very short lived. So next I bought a standard black that didn't last much more. Next was an XL cartridge that was more a medium than XL.

So did a bit of reading, found info above. Luckily I had never signed up for ink program, so decided to see if virgin firmware would accept 3rd party cartridge. Ordered this hush puppy off ebay and it's been working fine, have printed maybe double what a std HP cartridge would do and still shows > 50% on level. I rarely print color, so only did the black.

But I just did a quick search and HP is getting sued again for their sleazy tactics. Seems they try all sorts of tricks to get you to update the firmware hoping you won't notice the fine print locks you back into HP.

I'm not agreeing to squat, so hopefully HP doesn't manage to slip scammy firmware onto my printer. It really is a good AIO.

Short vid of Lou Rossman on HP printer issue:

He did a much longer vid about HP, but this clip is the gist of issue.

Ink in the cartridge drying isn't the big problem, it's the nozzles that get dry/clogged. I still use a physical calendar, so every time I print, I mark a P on it. No P for about 3 weeks, I print a document I made up that's a paragraph about 4 lines that I print on scrap paper just to prevent nozzle issues. That ebay cartridge has been in it > a year, no issues.

I was researching for a new printer before I was gifted this one, otherwise I would have gone with Brother.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Knock on wood, but we've been using a Brother MFC-L3770CDW for a few years now (probably phased out by now) and have had no issues with it. Connects to the network easily enough (WiFi or ethernet), prints in color, doesn't go through cartridges like there's no tomorrow, etc...

Top Bottom