Target Sports

Ranges around ATX that allow me to shoot armour plates?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ywwuyi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2024
    Austin
    I have some plates which I purchased back in 2021, currently downsizing my life so I want to dispose them and they are probably expired anyway (also wanted to test if they can indeed save my life from a 5.56 shot); any ranges around Austin that could let me shoot these lovely plates?

ywwuyi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2024
    Austin
    Unless UHMWPE *AND* stored in super high temps, nothing in body armor, especially plates, degrades over time.

What are they? I may be interested in them

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, they are made in China, GA-3 and GA-6, so similar to IIIA and III plates in the US. One of them is PE and the other ceramics + PE.
    If you are still interested (given the fact that it's in a different standard) I'd still want to test it's doing what it's advertising - I shoot one 2 years ago and it performed well, but I'm really unsure if the PE degraded.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I have some plates which I purchased back in 2021, currently downsizing my life so I want to dispose them and they are probably expired anyway (also wanted to test if they can indeed save my life from a 5.56 shot); any ranges around Austin that could let me shoot these lovely plates?
    The expiration is only a manufacturer recommendation meaning they want you to buy new after five years of use but those vests should be good for life as long as you maintain them. I still have my vests from my 98 service and still fit comfortably.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Don't test it like these guys did:

A Florida teen was fatally wounded while he and a friend took turns wearing body armor and shooting each other, police said. Christopher Leroy Broad, 15, died the evening of April 3 after being rushed to a hospital, according to police in Belleview, a community about 60 miles northwest of Orlando. link

Top Bottom