• RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    We need one so here we go.:tankman:

I'm back in the mood to do some scale modeling again after many years. To start off I've decided to get my old Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I tank running again after it's sat for over 20 years. These are awesome kits, part scale model and part RC that have to be built and painted. They have twin gear drives, full torsion bar suspension and operating turrets and guns. With the Tamiya battle system you can fight with them too. You can get cheaper Chinese made versions on Amazon but the Tamiya kits are far superior in scale and function.

Tamiya recently came out with an M1A2 so I think I'll be getting that kit soon, I also want to eventually build an M4 Sherman, possibly a firefly with the 17 pounder so I may end up buying one of those cheaper Chinese models and mixing in some scale and Tamiya parts with it. We'll see, at any rate I plan on getting that M1A2 soon, I'm excited about that kit.
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ank-m1a2-abrams-full-option-kit/TAM56041.html

So here's some ancient build photos of my Tamiya Tiger I. I built this well over 20 years ago and only ran it a few times. It's been sitting in the man cave as a static display model collecting lots of dust. No more, time to get her running again! I just ordered two 7.2 volt batteries for it and some Tamiya gearbox grease so I should be ready to do some T-34/85 hunting in a few weeks. :loaded:

I can't believe how long ago this was, damn I'm getting old.:facepalm:

All aluminum 88mm gun barrel. I spent a lot of money on custom parts that were made in Germany. Zee Germans love their scale model tanks, sadly most of these parts are no longer made. I don't think many people build scale models anymore.
    CwobAH5.jpg

Almost all of the tools, fittings and track cables are all steel and brass, made in Germany by a company called Wecho.DE, don't think the guy is around anymore.
    dunwO9r.jpg

These are the smoke grenade launchers, I cut brass tubing for the wiring sockets and made all of the wiring and attach points.
    z1udDEx.jpg

Here's a look into the hull showing the twin geared drives and torsion bar suspension.
    mICL9co.jpg

nJHDCB3.jpg

Lots of brass photo etch went into this build.
    6pNA1cz.jpg

Assembled bogies and metal drive sprockets along with aftermarket metal tracks.
    MxU9jwN.jpg

This was the point in the build where It was ready for mechanical testing (running).
    CkuHdzT.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    If you could shrink yourself down and fit inside the hatch you could then lock them closed with these fully functional latches. I also built periscopes and added glass to the gun sight and viewing slits.
    SMqgH1x.jpg

Cupola periscopes for the commander. I added glass to these too.
    O3GTGlr.jpg

Smoke grenade mounts.
    4jqsdXM.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    And here's where we are today.

Doing some chipping and weathering and cleaning off all the dust.
    6fCN8jP.jpg

Adding in a little whitewash and dirt, scratches etc.
    MeNswx9.jpg

UEakG9T.jpg

She's a big girl. weight is about 12 to 13 lbs with batteries.
    2zl6TBk.jpg

buRSWo8.jpg

After years of sitting the top deck has become permanently attached which is going to be a problem. I need to get at the gearboxes, I'll think of something.
    gZahdU3.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I've been digging through my model stuff trying to find this Kubelwagen, I think it may have been part of the stuff I sold off though. Makes me mad, I'll have to find another one.

I had done a lot of work to this model converting it from static to RC.
    oZUNeHZ.jpg

Scratch made Jerry can mount.
    NZXHibp.jpg

jSVpy1s.jpg

QZ9Ik9l.jpg

4o25TnD.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    This is the giant RC tank battleground at the incredible AAF Tank Museum in Danville, Virginia, the next time I visit I'll be taking my Tiger with me. With the Tamiya battle system it's laser tag with RC tanks, if your tank is hit it gets shut off.

8DXvUt1.jpg

ddqchXP.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Your work is quite impressive as well.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Thank you sir, my uncle got me into modeling when I was a kid and I never grew out of it. I've always been fascinated by WWI and WWII and reading all of the books and literature to build the kits keeps me in that world.

Lot's of model projects are hiding around my house. I need to start completing some of these.
    va1SC65.jpg

Sg9CyX2.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I learned from some guys that were insanely talented over on many model forums over the years. Some of the guys worked in the movie and prop industries, incredible talent. I'm not even close to the level those guys are at.

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Very awesome. I'm into RC trucks and went into Alamo City Hobbies on Saturday in SA. They had several tanks there. Was almost tempted to get one, but didn't know much about it. They are cool though.

ETA: I want a 1/10th scale Killdozer.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Very awesome. I'm into RC trucks and went into Alamo City Hobbies on Saturday in SA. They had several tanks there. Was almost tempted to get one, but didn't know much about it. They are cool though.

ETA: I want a 1/10th scale Killdozer.
    The tanks a re a lot of fun especially if you get the battle system. Some of the dozer models have functioning hydraulics and can do actual work. I've seen some really expensive ones, too rich for my blood.

Top Bottom