Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Another project I won't finish so someone who can do this rifle justice needs to own it.

This is an Ultra-Light model custom rifle made by MG Arms and based on a Rem 700 action. (If you've ever been to Carter's Country on Treaschwig here in Houston, it's that custom maker with their shop right across the street.) It's chambered in .340 Weatherby. I've taken it back to MG Arms and let them check it over. They tell me it's some of their early work and mechanically sound. It weighs ~6 pounds (a little under, I think) without a scope or mount. Folks who have attended TGT Family Reunions may remember it; for a couple of meets, I let anyone shoot it who asked.

While mechanically perfect, the cosmetic condition is potentially problematic. The rifle came from the estate of a man with more money than sense who loved expensive guns but was perfectly willing to let them rot and rust. (Some of the horrors I saw at his estate sale still give me shudders.) However, he was a short man, a bit over 5 feet. This rifle has a normal length of pull and I have no doubt he got the snot knocked out of him the first time he fired it. After that, it seems it was never used. It shows lots of rack wear, as in abrasions to the stock and finish abrasions on the top of the barrel, exactly the sort of thing a rifle would show when it belongs to someone who just threw it into a rack every time he moved. The owner obviously liked the work of MG Arms, though. His estate included two other Ultra-Light model rifles almost identical to this one but with the length of pull being about 11 inches, iirc. Those would have fit him much better and they showed lots of use. Not this rifle. The bolt lugs don't look like they've turned to lock up the action enough to begin wearing in.

So, not a cosmetic beauty but a very useful rifle...if you want a .340 Weatherby. I had planned to load it down to .338 Federal levels to do some hunting but I'll never get that chance so I need to pass this along to someone who can use it.

The red dot sight has been removed and is not included.

Included with the rifle are reloading tools and supplies to download it to pussycat levels. The two boxes of factory ammo include 18 rounds and 22 empties; those cases were fired in this rifle. I'll include a jug of a powder suitable for reduced-power loads. If you're an experienced handloader, the SR4759 pictured is ideal. If you'd prefer a jug of 4895 pulldown powder, I can do that. And if you want to make sure you can't make any mistakes, I could provide a jug of Trail Boss. All in, when you add up the retail prices, that's about $2000 worth of new reloading tools and supplies. All you need to add is a shellholder and large rifle magnum primers. I'll be looking around to see if I have any primers and if I find them, I'll include some.

I'm open to breaking up the rifle and reloading supplies but only if the rifle sells first. PM me and we can discuss the particulars if you're thinking that way.

$2500

Lemme try a different tack. Buy these reloading supplies and ammo off me for retail prices and I'll throw in the rifle for free.

$2000

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail12.jpeg

thumbnail2.jpeg

thumbnail3.jpeg

thumbnail4.jpeg

thumbnail5.jpeg

thumbnail8.jpeg

thumbnail7.jpeg

thumbnail10.jpeg

thumbnail11.jpeg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conditions, provisos, and other language designed to cover my butt -

I can take more pictures for anyone who needs them to make a decision. Just let me know what spot(s) you want me to focus on.

Questions in this thread or by PM are welcome though I may not reply promptly.

The person who commits to buy it has every right to inspect it at delivery and nix the deal; I would not be in the least offended. I will not re-negotiate the price at delivery but I don't mind completely unwinding the deal and taking the rifle back home.

First "I'll take it" in this thread, followed up promptly with a PM to discuss particulars, gets it.

A note to help prevent disappointment: The first "I'll take it" in this thread means exactly that. If you think you want something but are only 90% sure, you can send me a question or post it here. But if I'm away from the computer for 2 hours and someone else jumps in here and posts "I'll take it" before you do, they get the gun, not you. That's disappointing to a potential buyer and I don't like it when it happens. To prevent that scenario, if you're 90% sure you want something, go ahead and post:
    I'll take it...

...conditional on the question I'm sending you. PM inbound.
    Other folks can also post "I'll take it if the deal above me falls through." I have no problem keeping track of multiple potential buyers as long as they get in line in a single publicly visible place. In the past, people have created animosity/drama by accepting offers through multiple sources, e.g. in the thread or PMs or email or a phone call or a text, etc. That method has the potential for lots of hurt feelings because multiple people believe they are first in line. I am completely intolerant of creating even the slightest impression that a sale is, in any way, less than above board.

This thread, using the "I'll take it" language, is the place to commit to the purchase. Nowhere else.

I won't post anything for sale here that's also listed elsewhere. If I feel this won't sell here, I'll close the ad before listing it elsewhere.

I'm in Spring, north of Houston. If you're willing to meet me halfway, I'm willing to drive to meet you in a public place to make the sale within ~100 miles.

Terms are cash only, daytime only, F2F only (no shipping), and no trades. A quick look at your LTC is preferred but a TDL works, too. I won't try to copy the info. I hope I don't have to ask and that you'll volunteer that you are NOT a prohibited person.

Since I'm not in the business of selling guns, I will not do a bill of sale nor will I do a "bill of transfer." :)

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have no idea what load this references. The folks that built this rifle also offered custom load development for clients and there's every possibility that this is for some handload they specified to the original owner. Or it could be a factory load. I simply don't know.

thumbnail9.jpeg

And these are the reloading supplies, powder, and factory ammo.

thumbnail13.jpeg

thumbnail14.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Am I missing the pistol reference somewhere? Interesting setup as pictured, GLWS.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    That's what I get for cutting and pasting and not proofreading carefully enough. I think I've fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    @benenglish you might want to specify this is a MG Arms manufactured Ultra Light rifle.
    The title had me thinking it was a NULA rifle until I saw the picture.
    GLWS
    Good advice. I've edited the title and text of the ad to better reflect the maker and model.

Your post prompted me to look up that model on their website. The base, no-options price of this rifle, if I bought it from them new, is now at $4725. That's wild. But, as hard experience has taught me, custom rifles are only worth that kind of money to the original owner, the person who specs it out and gets exactly what they want.

Top Bottom