• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    If you're not concerned about preserving the finish, I recommend Evapo-Rust. It's generally not necessary to leave the item in the solution overnight, like the manufacturer recommends. I generally leave parts in there for 10-15 minutes at a time.
    I had read about that. I’d prefer to not have to reblue.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I had a similar issue. Advice from @msharley was to soak in tranny fluid (not Bud Light) for a couple days then use a copper wool pad line “ChoreBoy” and light rub out the rust. I also used a piece of flattened copper tubing to get the cracks. Worked great. Rust gone but there is still pitting See pic below and good luck

IMG_3727.jpeg

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    non-synthetic transmission fluid soak for minimum of 24 hours, then 0000 steel wool very lightly rubbed over just the rusty area. Touch up with cold blue solution - it'll take multiple applications and a lot of patience, and it won't look like an old school deep hot blue, but it'll look better than rust or bare metal spots.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Transmission fluid and depending on how heavy the rust. 0000 steel wool... OR brown paper bag cut into squares. The paper bag is tough fiber mesh that will clean off lighter surface rust.

Top Bottom