ARJ Defense ad

Revolvers Vs. Auto-loaders. Which is smarter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Why would anyone carry a revolver over a semiauto? They have low capacity, high weight, and really aren't more reliable. They are also slower to reload and bulkier for IWB concealed carry, which is the most popular form of carry for a reason! I don't understand the revolver guys that are stuck in the past, and they call 1911s old-fashioned!
    Capitol Armory ad

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why would anyone carry a revolver over a semiauto? They have low capacity, high weight, and really aren't more reliable. They are also slower to reload and bulkier for IWB concealed carry, which is the most popular form of carry for a reason! I don't understand the revolver guys that are stuck in the past, and they call 1911s old-fashioned!

Reliability is unmatched

They make up for moderately low capacity with power and bullet selection. The vast majority of self defense shootings do not require more than 2-3 rounds anyway, and revolvers are only slow to reload for the untrained.

They do NOT weigh more (Ruger LCR is 17.1 oz, and the Sp101 is 26 oz, while a S&W M&P Shield is 18.2 oz and a Glock 19 is 23.7 oz, and those are unloaded weights.).

They are not bulkier, the shape of a revolver tends to contour to your body better than a semi auto.

People carry them because they want to. That is the only reason they need, and they don't need to justify that reason to anyone.

Oh, and you seem to have forgotten to mention the sub compact, low capacity semi autos that are popular now. Are you trying to tell me that 6-7 rounds of 9mm or .380 are better than 6 rounds of .357 magnum?

Last edited:

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.

Asks the guy who carries a revolver OWB...internet fish much? LOL

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Reliability is unmatched

They make up for moderately low capacity with power and bullet selection. The vast majority of self defense shootings do not require more than 2-3 rounds anyway, and revolvers are only slow to reload for the untrained.

They do NOT weigh more (Ruger LCR is 17.1 oz, and the Sp101 is 26 oz, while a S&W M&P Shield is 18.2 oz and a Glock 19 is 23.7 oz, and those are unloaded weights.).

They are not bulkier, the shape of a revolver tends to contour to your body better than a semi auto.

People carry them because they want to. That is the only reason they need, and they don't need to justify that reason to anyone.

Oh, and you seem to have forgotten to mention the sub compact, low capacity semi autos that are popular now. Are you trying to tell me that 6-7 rounds of 9mm or .380 are better than 6 rounds of .357 magnum?

Correct!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I'm with Savage20 with the perspective that revolvers aren't for self defense.

Range toys only.

As to their being more reliable than semi autos: I had a Ruger SP101 fail to revolve while I was shooting it double action as one of the cartridges had a bulge in it. No, it wasn't the revolvers fault, but something like bad ammo can stop them in their tracks. Yes, it can happen in semi-autos too, but too think revolvers are 100% reliable is just not so if other factors come into play and they do..

As to the idea you only need 2/3 rounds. That's not 100% true in each and every self defense situation. There are numerous stories of shootouts requiring many rounds shot before the situation was resolved. Give me high capacity every time.

The era of revolvers being "THE" go to EDC has passed, but the diehard have a hard time accepting that.

What to do?

Carry a revolver if that pleases you. Certainly, it's a matter of choice, but it's not superior or even the equal of a semi-auto in overall self defense application.

I'm sure some were upset and loudly lamented when muskets were over shadowed by rifles.

The acceptance of superior technology is hard for some to accept.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    =Oh, and you seem to have forgotten to mention the sub compact, low capacity semi autos that are popular now. Are you trying to tell me that 6-7 rounds of 9mm or .380 are better than 6 rounds of .357 magnum?

Perhaps not, but I will agree that a 7-shot 9mm/.380 is not better than a 7-shot lightweight .357.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Range toys only.

As to their being more reliable than semi autos: I had a Ruger SP101 fail to revolve while I was shooting it double action as one of the cartridges had a bulge in it. No, it wasn't the revolvers fault, but something like bad ammo can stop them in their tracks. Yes, it can happen in semi-autos too, but too think revolvers are 100% reliable is just not so if other factors come into play and they do..

As to the idea you only need 2/3 rounds. That's not 100% true in each and every self defense situation. There are numerous stories of shootouts requiring many rounds shot before the situation was resolved. Give me high capacity every time.

The era of revolvers being "THE" go to EDC has passed, but the diehard have a hard time accepting that.

What to do?

Carry a revolver if that pleases you. Certainly, it's a matter of choice, but it's not superior or even the equal of a semi-auto in overall self defense application.

I'm sure some were upset and loudly lamented when muskets were over shadowed by rifles.

Consider yourself trolled.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Range toys only.

Which is why you check your ammo. Like you said, that's not the gun's fault. As far as function goes, revolvers are more reliable. They are better in some situations as well. Say you are attacked and have to shoot to defend yourself. Let's just say the guy is literally on top of you, and the gun's muzzle is pressed up against him. Either type of gun will fire for the first shot. The second shot? Well the revolver will. The semi auto might have trouble since you now have something stopping the slide from freely returning to battery.

There's also the case of bad ammo. If you get a bad primer, a SA/DA semi auto might give you a second chance to strike it with the hammer, but that's it. Other semi auto designs will have to have the round manually ejected in order to continue shooting. A revolver will just go to the next round regardless of whether the round before it fires. See where I'm going with this? A revolve does have it's advantages.

That's not true 100% of the time, more like 95% of the time. Many of those shootout stories your talking about involve the police, not civilians defending themselves. The difference is that the police have to stop the BG, we don't. We are to shoot to defend ourselves and get away. Our safety is our priority, not stopping the BG. High capacity is fine, use it if you want it, but it is not a, absolute necessity. It's peace of mind.

I don't think you fully realize how many "young" people like and carry revolvers. You cannot really claim that they are "diehards", because they were either children, or not even around during the time of revolves being the main EDC gun.

Semi autos and revolvers have their advantages and disadvantages. Neither one in superior to the other, and it is purely personal reference as to which one you carry. I know that the acceptance of that fact is hard for some to accept since they feel they need to vehemently defend their choice as the best choice, but I'm sure we can work past that and respect each other's choices as equal.

Personally, I like both.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Perhaps not, but I will agree that a 7-shot 9mm/.380 is not better than a 7-shot lightweight .357.

Ok then, you agree that a revolver is at least as good as a sub compact gun with a lower capacity. Since those guns are so popular now, that also means that a revolver is just as good as a large number of popular "modern" CCW guns, and therefore is not outdated.

Thank you for your understanding. :)

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Firearms are tools. If a revolver is your tool of choice then it's the best you can use.
    Revolvers have been around much longer that semi-autos. Why? Why when the mega magazine wonder nines arrived does anybody still have a revolver? Simply because one can depend on a revolver. All those moving parts in a revolver are locked inside and protected. The biggest moving part of a semi, the slide is out there. Drop a revolver and it most likely will just be scraped up. Drop your semi and its a single shot paper weight. Allow something like a tiny bend in a magazine lip and again paper weight. The revolver is a fun to shoot reliable power packing package that will serve you for many years. When was the last time you saw a 1st gen Glock for sale? Don't hold your breath waiting for the revolver to die off.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ok then, you agree that a revolver is at least as good as a sub compact gun with a lower capacity. Since those guns are so popular now, that also means that a revolver is just as good as a large number of popular "modern" CCW guns, and therefore is not outdated.

Thank you for your understanding. :)
    Looks like he got you too

Top Bottom