• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    I am looking for a general purpose rifle. (If there is such a thing). I already have an ar15 and a bolt action in 556. I don't know much about rifles so be gentle. Without breaking the bank. :)
    Thanks
    Lynx Defense

Bamban

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Anderson Mill Area
    M1a, 308 can be an all purpose cartridge. Lots of ammo selection. With my M1a hunting rifle I've shot 110 VMax on small critters, 175 SMKS on hogs, and in the service rifle double lugged guns, I've shot 168 Hybrids and 185 Juggernauts at 1000 yard NRA matches iron sight.

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Any bolt rifle from. $400-$1000 in 243, 25-06, 6.5 creed, 270, 7-08, 308, will work for an all around rifle and won't break the bank. Those $400 rifles can be had on sale in the $300s.
    If someome tells you every rifle has it's own purpose. RuN!

Last edited:

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    oof - I'm guessing you are going to receive a lot of (wildly) different answers for this....

What does 'general purpose' mean to you?

Do you want a rifle for target practice and hunting?
    - If so, hunting small animals, medium animals, large animals?
    Do you want/prefer a semi-auto, bolt action, lever action... ?
    - Magazine, tube fed, single shot?

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    You have 223 for small animal/target practice/longer range stuff. Most any 30 cal will fit the bill, OK for hogs or deer. Be sure to get something that has a decent ammo availabilty. 22lr is still 5 cent/rnd for bulk stuff. CF will be 1$.rnd. min. I consider big bore stuff and pistol cal carbines to be 'specialty' stuff. And if you don't have a shotgun?

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Go to the range offer to pay for ammo if you can shoot their rifles. shoot many...Then you can make an informed decision. ANY well maintained rifle in almost any caliber will serve you well.
    I have yet to see some one NOT offer to let you shoot their gun just by saying "hey, what kinda gun are you shooting?"

Joe

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon

Might be a bit pricey, I don't know since I haven't priced them since I got mine.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Given all modern considerations, the .308 is hard to beat for all around.

In Texas, a .243 can do just about anything a .270 can; if you need more there are magnums.

Remember some Western Mountain States mandate .30 cal or better for large animals like elk, even if that seems silly.

If we have a collapse of society, ammo will be everyone’s critical concern and there is more .308 already existing, plus being made than everything except 5.55/.223 & .22LR.

But do you have a good SHOTGUN ?

Good Luck !

<>

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

Given all modern considerations, the .308 is hard to beat for all around.

In Texas, a .243 can do just about anything a .270 can; if you need more there are magnums.

Remember some Western Mountain States mandate .30 cal or better for large animals like elk, even if that seems silly.

If we have a collapse of society, ammo will be everyone’s critical concern and there is more .308 already exsting plus being made than everything except 5.55/.223 & .22LR.

But do you have a good SHOTGUN ?

Good Luck !

<>
    op didn't ask about shotguns he asked about rifle recommendations!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The AR is pretty dang general purpose if not configured for niche stuff (like a 24" varmint hunting upper with a 5-20 x 50 optic) - you can always get a bigger caliber upper (and maybe need mags for that caliber, maybe not) like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, .350 Legend, .300 Blackout, .450 Bushmaster, etc.

BUT we're talking an excuse for a new gun, not another upper

So to keep it budget friendly AND be a good rifle still - Ruger American Centerfire in .308 - the round is available anywhere that sells ammo, .308 bolt guns don't scare soccer moms as much as AR's, and a .308 will kill anything in North America so long as you utilize judicious marksmanship. Recoil is moderate, ammo cost compared to less popular / larger caliber rifle rounds is reasonable and you have a yuuuuge array of choices. And the Ruger American is a good, cheap bolt action rifle.

Or you could get a Savage Axis, or Remington 700 that either isn't part of the recall nonsense, or has been fixed. All solid choices.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A rifle in .308 or .30-06 would be great. For "general purpose", stay away from magnums. You just won't shoot it enough to be good at it because of the expense of the ammo and the pain in your shoulder. Savage makes a great bolt action at a low price right now. Remington has been popular, but the factory quality went to crap and the new owners are just starting to turn out OK rifles again. Ruger is always a good choice, but bolt action is not their most popular. I favor the Winchester Model 70 series as being accurate, tough, and safe.

Lever action guns are fun, but nothing gives you the distance and accuracy of a good bolt action with a good scope. Plan to spend at least half as much on a scope as you spent on the rifle. You will never regret buying a good scope. Seriously.

Someone mentioned .22, and EVERYONE should have a .22, but I wouldn't consider that a "general purpose" rifle. I would say build your collection in this order (based on what you already own):

1. Bolt action rifle in .308 or .30-06 with a really good quality scope
    2. A .22 rifle - probably a Ruger 10/22
    3. A lever action rifle in .22 or .30-30. Winchester or Henry or an old Savage 99. They're light, they're fun to shoot, and they look great.
    4. Something fun that you don't own. M1 Garand, .300 Mag, .45 Colt, etc.

Watch out for those calibers that are suddenly popular for a year or two and then go away. You pay top dollar for the rifle, you can't find the ammo (or if you do, it's super expensive), and once it's popularity fades, you can't sell the rifle.

As you build a collection, remember that the firearms that don't work out for you can be traded to help buy new stuff. When you find one that is really, really good (i.e., so fun to shoot that you can take it out every weekend, or such a tack-driver that it's the most reliable firearm you have), then KEEP IT. If you find that a particular gun hasn't come out of the safe for 3 years, or it just isn't as accurate as another rifle of that style, then that one becomes trade bait. Someone else will find the love for it.

Top Bottom