• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    Hello everyone- looking at a bolt action ruger 22 that I can use to teach my children to shoot, as well as have some fun myself occasionally. I have been drawn to the Ruger model 8351 as it has everything I’m looking for.

I found one last week on Texas gun trader and on my way to meet the seller to buy it, he backed out.

Wondering if anyone in here has direct experience with the mod 8351 or could recommend a better ruger model for education and general use.

Many thanks ahead of time.
    Venture Surplus ad

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have a ruger american .22lr. Not that specific model. I got it because it uses the same mags as my 10/22s. It's pretty accurate for me with cci standard and Aguila super extra. I have no issues taking it out to 100 yards with my 2-7 rimfire scope

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    No experience with the Ruger. But take a look at the Savage MKii Precision. Check different Walmarts and you can get them for about $300. They come with a Boyd's AT1 stock that has adjustable length of pull. Great for various sized shooters. Comes ready for a scope. And I shoot mine mostly at 100 yards. Or more.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    No experience with the Ruger. But take a look at the Savage MKii Precision. Check different Walmarts and you can get them for about $300. They come with a Boyd's AT1 stock that has adjustable length of pull. Great for various sized shooters. Comes ready for a scope. And I shoot mine mostly at 100 yards. Or more.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much - I will have a look at the savage as well.

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    I have a ruger american .22lr. Not that specific model. I got it because it uses the same mags as my 10/22s. It's pretty accurate for me with cci standard and Aguila super extra. I have no issues taking it out to 100 yards with my 2-7 rimfire scope

Good info. I think 50 yards max is about our max range for teaching new shooters. Have you ever tried the ‘quiet’ 22 or ammo from cci? I think it’s 720fps. Would that be a good 25 yard practice round?

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    That Ruger should be a Great gun has me thinking??
    Also look at the CZs
    Excellent - TY very much. I will look into CZ.

My main interest in the ruger was all of the aftermarket support that I’m finding. Seems like an endless line up upgrades ect. I also see magpul has a stock/chassis specifically for the ruger 22 line.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    The CZ’s are great. My son’s will shoot 10 rounds inside a dime at 50 yards using any ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Excellent - TY very much. I will look into CZ.

My main interest in the ruger was all of the aftermarket support that I’m finding. Seems like an endless line up upgrades ect. I also see magpul has a stock/chassis specifically for the ruger 22 line.
    Most need no upgrades for performance just styling or fitment if you desire.
    I've had most all makes but after a 10-12 year hiatus I'm currently loving my heavy barrel CZ.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Good info. I think 50 yards max is about our max range for teaching new shooters. Have you ever tried the ‘quiet’ 22 or ammo from cci? I think it’s 720fps. Would that be a good 25 yard practice round?
    I have use it, mostly in pistols. It's quiet with a can for sure, but not without. I do t think the velocity drop will benefit you in any way. I could be wrong.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If you want something quiet, you're better off getting a suppressor, and using CCI SV or equivalent.

In my experience cci quiet isn't the most accurate. The quiet semi auto was even worse. I get SV to group .5-1" at 50 yards, quiet was triple to quadruple that

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    If you want something quiet, you're better off getting a suppressor, and using CCI SV or equivalent.

In my experience cci quiet isn't the most accurate. The quiet semi auto was even worse. I get SV to group .5-1" at 50 yards, quiet was triple to quadruple that
    Yes - might do that in the future. Was hoping for a bolt action with threaded barrel for now for the kids to learn on, and then maybe later do something like that. Looking for a ruger 22 bolt action with threaded barrel that’s used os harder than I thought.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Yes - might do that in the future. Was hoping for a bolt action with threaded barrel for now for the kids to learn on, and then maybe later do something like that. Looking for a ruger 22 bolt action with threaded barrel that’s used os harder than I thought.
    Easy option, ruger precision rimfire. Meant for optics but you can put iron sights on there easy enough.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    The only ammo I found that is "quiet" without a suppressor is the Aguila super colibre. They are kinda cool to play around with but not very useful from anything.

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    The only ammo I found that is "quiet" without a suppressor is the Aguila super colibre. They are kinda cool to play around with but not very useful from anything.

Thank you for the info. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for those.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    My Savage FVSR came with a threaded barrel and is very accurate with CCI SV for me. With the silencer on it is also very quiet. You can hear the hammer fall and pfft!

e6Ef891.jpg

mNg6aQu.jpg

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    My Savage FVSR came with a threaded barrel and is very accurate with CCI SV for me. With the silencer on it is also very quiet. You can hear the hammer fall and pfft!

e6Ef891.jpg

mNg6aQu.jpg

Looks a little under scoped................j/k.....

I love my FVSR....even with the standard stock.....wtf is that one yours? I like it....

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Some place called Rhineland Arms used to sell them. Not on their site any more though. It is much better than the plastic fantastic it came with. I tried a Boyds but didn't like it. Always liked solid walnut though!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom