• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Will try the vinegar on some surface-rusted Hornady pistol dies that were recently given to me. Does it matter if it is cider vs white vinegar?
    Texas SOT

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Clean off the rust. Use anti-corrosion spray (it will neutralize the corrosion cells). DON'T COAT WITH OIL. Use wax instead. Suggested waxes: MinWax furniture wax or Renaissance Wax (used by museums). When water (from humidity) gets on oil, the oil floats away from the surface. Waxes are higher molecular weight and don't float off.

You can also get some ZeRust bricks from Amazon and put one in the cabinet or drawer where you store dies. It puts out a vapor that kills corrosion cells. (Corrosion is an electrochemical process, just like a battery. As long as a cell is in place, it will corrode. ZeRust and other anti-corrosion materials are attracted to the cells and then block air from it, effectively killing it.)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't like using vinegar to remove rust as it tends to cause flash rusting while you're drying the parts off. I like to use phosphoric acid. Not only does it dissolve the rust, but it leaves a thin coating of iron phosphate on the surface which inhibits corrosion.

You can get it at Home Depot or Walmart as Metal Prep for about $18/gal, or as Milkstone Remover from a farm supply store.

Last edited:

db_tanker

Pig Whisperer
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    Willis, TX
    So I have some dies that were rusted up that I got from my brother in law - RCBS 6.5x55's - that were pretty dingy.

Soaked 'em down with some evapo-rust for about 2 days (I was lazy) and they look pretty good.

D

Ab17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    Driftwood
    If you really want to waste some time search corrosion test gun oil and head down the rabbit hole. I’m not sure if salt spray testing is really a valid measure of how well something works in normal conditions but I had eezox and that’s what I put on my dies when they had to get moved to the garage.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Soak in vinegar, use an old tooth brush or a small brass parts brush for stubborn spots, rise with water, blow dry with a gun and then lube. GTO.

Hogflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2023
    Central Texas
    Hello all,

I was going over some load notes and notice some rust starting to form on some of my gages / dies and my Forster press I bought a couple months back.

What the heck is going on. Before it gets worse is there a certain spray I can use to keep the rust off and keep them lub at the same time.

Any feedback would be awesome...

Thanks,
    Just make a habit of wiping down every thing you touch, when relaoding, regardless of
    the weather outside. Yep silicone is good thing, have some industrial grade machinist
    oil from shop i use, mixture of different lubes, never had a problem with it.

Top Bottom