Texas SOT

Selling to first time buyers

Kobiash1

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I buy and sell guns on the “ guns for sale “ . I always look at who is wanting to buy something. Is anyone else Leary to sell to first time Texas Gun talk members? And what do you do to vet a buyer?
ARJ Defense ad

Brains

One of the idiots
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've only sold one gun in my life, and it was a mistake. And not so much sold as gifted to a family member, who then sold it. *sigh*

But in purchasing a few used guns, I think it's usually pretty much a gut check on the person showing up to buy. I've been sized up by sellers, they deemed me worthy, and completed the sale. It's really about that simple. If you get a strange feeling about someone, don't transfer or make them go through an FFL. The law in Texas is pretty straight forward, you pretty much give them the benefit of the doubt. Someone will be along shortly to quote the laws, or you can research them yourself. ;)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If someone's just joined, yeah - I'm gonna be real leery. To the point of likely not selling to 'em unless I can check them out via FB page, etc., or we have mutual friends.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I buy and sell guns on the “ guns for sale “ . I always look at who is wanting to buy something. Is anyone else Leary to sell to first time Texas Gun talk members? And what do you do to vet a buyer?

Here we go again.

Three questions:
1. Are you a criminal?
2. Do you live in Texas?
3. Do you have green money?

Don't have to ask about age, my eyeballs still work. Note, nothing said about DL or LTC or BOS. You have done due diligence by asking. If they lie, shame on them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Here we go again.

Three questions:
1. Are you a criminal?
2. Do you live in Texas?

Don't have to ask about age, my eyeballs still work. Note, nothing said about DL or LTC or BOS. You have done due diligence by asking. If they lie, shame on them.
This and the gut check.

Let's be honest here. Just because a member has been around a while or has a high post count doesn't necessarily mean they are more legal that a new member.

Kobiash1

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It amazing to me how someone can be irritated by posting a post. If you respond that’s your problem. Thank you everyone else for taking their time to responding like an adult. So if he put his hand in a buz saw, on a post and then he does it again on other post , who has the most intellectual mind?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some folks on here have an FFL and a need to protect it. They have different ideas for a reason. Most just want to see green to repurpose it. Don't get your knickers in a knot over someone trying the start the BOS stuff again.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here we go again.

Three questions:
1. Are you a criminal?
2. Do you live in Texas?

I don't see the point of asking the questions...

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I don't see the point of asking the questions...
It's not about the answer but how they answer. This helps with the gut feeling that something may be off.

If they lie it's on them but they may also give you a sign that they are lying.

Charlie

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I've read correctly, a seller is not required to ask or verify anything regarding the buyer. If the seller knows there is a reason not to sell to an individual (such as out of state resident, not of age to buy a firearm(s), criminal background, etc., then the seller should not sell).

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I like that we have a feedback option here for this exact reason. To view other members experiences with someone. Unfortunately about half of the people I have done transactions with don't leave feedback. Maybe I just suck and they didn't want to put that out there? Anyway I think it helps. As for new members I am also leery, but a couple of times have sold to new members and didn't have any problems.

Charlie

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I usually ask to see a Texas Drivers License picture of the buyer (no info seen or recorded by me) and that should be a good indication the person is a resident. If they have forged something, not my problem.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's not about the answer but how they answer. This helps with the gut feeling that something may be off.

If they lie it's on them but they may also give you a sign that they are lying.
3 better questions:

Are you a man of liberty?
Do you understand natural law and the principle of non-aggression?
Do you fear God?
Here we go again.

Three questions:
1. Are you a criminal?
2. Do you live in Texas?

I usually don't ask any questions. If I don't like their looks, I just walk away.

If I had to list them, these would be my 3 questions:

Do you fear God?
Do you understand the principle of non-aggression?
Are you a man of liberty?

But I digress, they're all the same question.

Every Day Man
Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gearhead_Gunsmith