• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    So with recommendations from other members here, I tried Dot Torture today and it was pretty fun! Using my beretta, I got 47/50 on my first try, a failing score, but I still think I did well.

IMG_7201.JPG

I just missed 1 on dot 3, and 2 left-handed shots on dot 8. This was my first time shooting left-handed so it felt really really different. I kept anticipating the recoil, and I would pull the trigger for what seemed like forever and not know when the gun would fire. At least 4 or 5 times, I pulled the trigger and the gun didn't shoot (because I thought I pulled all the way, but not actually far enough).

Tried it again with SW SD9VE and did much worse, 37/50. Now I know why it's torture, because you delay gratification until you get all 50, and when you don't, you get impatient and start missing. That's what happened here. But it was also the difference in gun, I'm not as used to this one, and missed all 5 left-handed shots. So I spent my last 50 rds practicing left-handed.

Who else shot this drill and what was your score first time? How many attempts did it take for you to pass this drill?
    Hurley's Gold

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Great job! What distance did you shoot it?

The great thing with dot torture is you can change a couple of variables (speed, distance, or both) and push yourself even farther. Start at 3yds? Try pushing to 5yds, for example. That or stay at 3yds (or wherever you started) and push a bit faster.

As an aside, here's a good YouTube channel I recommend checking out for tips. There are a lot of other great people out there that really get into the fine detail. I find Ben does a great job of keeping things simple and pragmatic, while avoiding falling down the rabbit hole on any one detail:
    https://www.youtube.com/@BenStoeger187

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Great job! What distance did you shoot it?
    Thanks man, I started with 3 yds as recommended, I mean they want you to have 100%, def can't do that at 5 yds right now. I'll def be trying to go further out in the future, but also, Lucky Gunner Ammo has 17 diff drills to practice so I'll be trying a few of those in addition to this one (first video of their playlist). Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check him out. Today is Easter so the range is closed, but I'll go next week, have to test my new reman ammo I received too. How far can you pass Dot Torture?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's been years since I've shot dot torture. Last I can remember was maybe 7yds and on the shot timer, really trying to push both speed and accuracy.

If you ever want some more drills, the late Todd Green had a bunch. The nice thing is, many of them have benchmark scores or times to measure yourself against. Some even had PDFs of custom targets (for the given drill) you could print out on a regular 8.5x11 piece of paper.

Top Bottom