• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pkfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2023
    Dallas
    a bit new to texas. i've seen some people say it's "saved" them from getting a ticket, does it show up on your DL? also does being military/veteran have any gun purchase/selling benefits?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've seen some people say it's "saved" them from getting a ticket, does it show up on your DL?

That's an old wives tale, I've gotten tickets after being pulled over in uniform! If it's revenue time, you're gonna get a citation!

Your TX DL can have 'Veteran' on it if you ask and provide proof, usually in the form of your DD 214.

As mentioned, many places offer military discounts (some with stipulations). I just use my retiree ID card, or my TXSG ID...

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    That's an old wives tale, I've gotten tickets after being pulled over in uniform! If it's revenue time, you're gonna get a citation!

Your TX DL can have 'Veteran' on it if you ask and provide proof, usually in the form of your DD 214.

As mentioned, many places offer military discounts (some with stipulations). I just use my retiree ID card, or my TXSG ID...
    Well it has kept me from getting tickets.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've avoided at least one ticket because of it. Got the cop talking about pistols and he stopped caring about my inspection sticker.

It's also failed to get me out of two tickets, so YMMV. And yes, when they run your DL they'll see whether you have an LTC or not. Have to have a Texas DL to have a Texas LTC, and they use the same photo.

It's a defense against prosecution for the stupid "Gun Free School Zones" law.

It's also a time saver when you're purchasing from your LGS. You still have to fill out the 4473, but they don't have to submit it and wait for a response.

Also, the signage prohibiting unlicensed carry has ambiguous requirements - some say a simple gunbuster sign will do, others say there's some vague wording requirement...but 30.06 (prohibiting licensed concealed carry) and 30.07 (prohibiting licensed open carry) signs have specific wording and letter height requirements, and signs that aren't valid can be ignored (though a verbal request to leave if you're carrying can't).

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    Medical City Spine Hospital, 11990 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX 7524
    Have to have a Texas DL to have a Texas LTC, and they use the same photo.
    That's incorrect. I got my TX concealed carry permit with an out of state Drivers licence. I moved here during covid in September and couldn't get an oppointment to obtain a Texas Drivers License utiil the following April. I received my LTC in December of the year (five months before receiving a DL) I moved to Texas. I had to get two passport sized photos and send them to Austin because I didn't have a photo from a DL on file.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Medical City Spine Hospital, 11990 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX 7524

That's incorrect. I got my TX concealed carry permit with an out of state Drivers licence. I moved here during covid in September and couldn't get an oppointment to obtain a Texas Drivers License utiil the following April. I received my LTC in December of the year (five months before receiving a DL) I moved to Texas. I had to get two passport sized photos and send them to Austin because I didn't have a photo from a DL on file.

Interesting. They're supposed to require a Texas DL - since the LTC card is accepted as proof of residency for voting.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I did my renewal for ltc and dl both online yesterday.
    Got the info in the mail Saturday, both expire next December.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I renew as soon as I get the notice to renew. I remember one time I went and did the renewal class time. Then I found out the law changed on Sept 1 and wouldn't had to.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    a bit new to texas. i've seen some people say it's "saved" them from getting a ticket, does it show up on your DL? also does being military/veteran have any gun purchase/selling benefits?
    In answer to your first question: It's up to the officer on whether they issue you a ticket. I hand over my LTC along with my DL, and have been thanked for doing so. While it doesn't show on your DL, they will know when they bring up your information on the computer. I have found that just being courteous goes a long way.

Top Bottom