• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    I'm an hour south of Dallas off I-45. We have a local club down here that focuses on metal silhouette shooting. It's out in the boondocks along the southern Navarro County line, maybe halfway between I-45 and I-35. Nearest town is Wortham. Has berms from 25 meters out to 500 meters. You basically have to bring your own target stands if you want to shoot at paper. The good silhouettes are usually locked up because even in a small club there's always some yahoo who has to shoot holes in them with his 7 Mag at 100 yards, but there are always some beat up old targets to shoot. Small facility located in a cow pasture but the firing line is covered concrete pad with a few solid shooting benches. Firing line is maybe 30-40 yards long. No on-site personnel unless there's a match going on. They give you a combo to the lock on the gate. Maybe 100 members from all over the state at $100 per year. If I go during the week I almost always have the place to myself. Great for working up loads. Guests are allowed, just keep an eye on them especially if they're kids. Sometimes you have to go shoo cattle off the range.

Most weekend matches are small, with everything from .22 and pistol caliber lever guns up to full power rifles and black powder. It's pretty humbling to see some old geezer knocking down rams at 500 meters offhand. PM or email me if you want membership info.

Here's a pic of the place looking out toward the 500 meter berm from the firing line:

144240819.gif

And a view down the firing line (shows about 1/2 of the line):
    144240817.gif

Last edited:

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    Updated info: We had our annual meeting this morning,the first time attendance was announced as mandatory. It seems we had someone, probably a non-member who got ahold of the gate combination, who came in and intentionally shot 3 cows. Cost the club $3500 and could have easily P.O'.d the landowner enough to run us off. It looks like some calves went out by the targets and somebody just wasted them. No way it could have been an accident with three killed. Another grown cow was shot in the hoof.

As a result we are going to increase the level of self-imposed security. You have to have your membership card on you, preferably hanging around your neck, whenever you come out. If you give the combo to a guest or anyone else who shows up without you, he gets filed on for Criminal Trespass with the Sheriff and you get kicked out. A camera will be taking pictures of each vehicle coming and going, and while shooting. You must sign in every visit. You should approach anyone you don't know and ask if they signed in, but don't get in a fight over it. Just record their license number if they don't sign in.

You can bring family or guests but you're responsible for them. After 2 visits, the guest should join or you should pay a $6 fee per visit. This doesn't apply to immediate family.

And because of the $3500 loss, dues are going up after today, from $100 per year to $175. The exception is that if you take part in the regular weekend matches, you can still pay $100. The thought is that the regular match shooters will pay more than $75 in match fees over the course of the year (usually $20 per match). You must attend 6 matches to get the discount. I don't know if they'll charge you $175 now and give you a refund later or how they'll be handling that.

A bulldozer was out this a.m. building a couple new berms for short range pistol shooting, cleaning out any encroaching brush, etc. Members will be responsible for carrying off all trash, old targets, etc - if you bring it, you tote it out.

Motex66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Mo-TX
    Sent an email. I would like to find out more about this range. Used to shoot IHMSA. Would like to get back in some form of silhouette shooting.

i live south of Dallas.

John in Texas

Top Bottom