• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Hello all,
    I recently got gifted a pretty crappy Chinese SKS that is CAKED in cosmoline. I don't know what the guy who owned it before was thinking.

I've been trying to clean it but the bolt was this ugly orange color and the firing pin only moved after working it with CLP, a mallet, and pliers for an hour. I tried to hammer out the firing pin retainer to no avail, it barely budged and my hands hurt like crazy. I have a bench vise and I don't think I'm THAT weak. I've been watching YouTube videos while I try to clean it and I think my sks is as bad as it gets. I can provide pictures of needed.

Is it important that I get all the cosmoline out? Is slam firing that big of an issue? The firing pin moves in the bolt now with more ease but doesn't drop with gravity.

Thank you!
    Firing pin should easily move back and forth in bolt and yes slam fire is a big deal.
    ARJ Defense ad

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Coleman fuel is naphtha, a/k/a Ronsonol, the stuff you put in Zippo lighters.
    I used to use Varsol to remove Cosmoline, but nobody seems to carry it any more - I'd substitute diesel fuel oil.

Eli
    The Coleman fuel currently marketed is white gas, consisting of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, pentane. they claim to add a proprietary blend of corrosion inhibitors
    Naphtha is a less than specific, or generalized term, for a distilled mixture of hydrocarbons, primary trimethylbenzene.

Elenah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Houston, Tx
    You ain’t from around here, are ya?
    Not at all. Here's my current progress my hands hurt. I need to go to the gym and do only arms so I can gunsmith. Ignore the fact that my setup is a random bin.

PXL_20230802_010536363.jpg

Elenah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Houston, Tx
    So again I'm a noob, but how difficult is blueing steel? The receiver & barrel is pretty scratched up, does stripping and blueing hide/cover that?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    So again I'm a noob, but how difficult is blueing steel? The receiver & barrel is pretty scratched up, does stripping and blueing hide/cover that?
    It's definitely not a process for amateurs and the cost of rebluing a SKS would likely exceed the value of the rifle itself. I've seen way worse condition rifles than yours. Very heavy pitting and they still function fine. Oil it up, reassemble it, and just enjoy it for what it is. If you want a nicer looking rifle later on it would be cheaper to buy one than to restore it.

Top Bottom