• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Because not everyone's completely familiar with all shotgun options...

I don't mess with slugs, because I don't know what kind of choke my 870 has, or if a slug would damage it. Plus, I'm happy with .00 buck. But if I were to decide to shoot some slugs, I'd need to look up which kind to get because it's just not a regular concern for me.
    Ditto the most all of what you said. However, as a youngster growing up in a shotgun only state, I fired many a slug through a smooth bar H&R full choke single shot with no damage. After all, the land of the slug is softer than the steel of even the barrel being full choked. All one has to do is look at the rifling on a slug to understand that it's like fletching on an arrow it's the air that makes it spin for accuracy I had never heard of a rifled shotgun barrel until saboted slugs came out.
    Gun Zone Deals

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ditto the most all of what you said. However, as a youngster growing up in a shotgun only state, I fired many a slug through a smooth bar H&R full choke single shot with no damage. After all, the land of the slug is softer than the steel of even the barrel being full choked. All one has to do is look at the rifling on a slug to understand that it's like fletching on an arrow it's the air that makes it spin for accuracy I had never heard of a rifled shotgun barrel until saboted slugs came out.

See, there's the difference between you and me. My experience with shotguns is 100% scattergun. I've never shot slugs, was taught by people who had never shot slugs...it's an unfamiliar bit of knowledge. Other stuff that I'm more familiar and experienced with, I've got more expertise on.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    See, there's the difference between you and me. My experience with shotguns is 100% scattergun. I've never shot slugs, was taught by people who had never shot slugs...it's an unfamiliar bit of knowledge. Other stuff that I'm more familiar and experienced with, I've got more expertise on.
    It can be kind of a long story but my father would only hunt raccoons. My first deer hunting was at about 13 or 14 years old and I was taken by a couple of Amish neighbors. I had a Winchester model 37 16 gauge and was given 2 buckshot and 2 round single projectile rounds referred to as "pumpkin balls” since then, I have only ever seen those being sold at gun shows as collectibles tor cartridge collectors.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Because not everyone's completely familiar with all shotgun options...

I don't mess with slugs, because I don't know what kind of choke my 870 has, or if a slug would damage it. Plus, I'm happy with .00 buck. But if I were to decide to shoot some slugs, I'd need to look up which kind to get because it's just not a regular concern for me.

I have a Mossberg 500 in .410 with a 24" full choke barrel. Due to the choke, I've never shot a slug through it. Right now, I'm having it cut down to 20", which should give it a Modified or IC choke. I'm looking forward to trying slugs from it....if I can find any....

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I have a Mossberg 500 in .410 with a 24" full choke barrel. Due to the choke, I've never shot a slug through it. Right now, I'm having it cut down to 20", which should give it a Modified or IC choke. I'm looking forward to trying slugs from it....if I can find any....
    Slugs are about the only thing I can find for a .410 When I had the Judge I had sone slugs as well as Buckshot, but not sure if I still have any. If I find some I'll let you know.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    "Fins" on rifled slugs are to allow them to safely be fired through any normal choke, without causing any damage, or excess pressures.
    The "fins" won't create spin. In fact, rifled slugs through a rifled barrel tend to corkscrew when they are spun.
    Taofledermaus has a good video about it.

Joe

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    If you are, “going to have it cut down”, I assume you’re going to have a gunsmith/ shop do it. if so, consider just having rifle sites installed if it’s going to be a slug only option. Probably for a couple extra dollars have it threaded for the Accuchokes.
    Cutting 4 inches off will leave you with a straight cylinder bore.
    Like I said, above, in a previous post, I’ve fired mini slugs, through full choke without a problem. The lead rifling of the slug, being so much softer than the steel of the barrel creates no problem just look at the depth/height of the rifling on a slug, and it’ll make sense.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Op never said anything about which type of slugs he's using, considering he was looking at a 590a1, it's pretty safe to say he's just wanting a shotgun to shoot rifled slugs

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    "Fins" on rifled slugs are to allow them to safely be fired through any normal choke, without causing any damage, or excess pressures.
    The "fins" won't create spin. In fact, rifled slugs through a rifled barrel tend to corkscrew when they are spun.
    Taofledermaus has a good video about it.

Joe
    Thanks for the info, Joe, I’ll look into that. I just remember those fins, causing against the spin as being a selling point when the slugs came out and the pumpkin balls went away wish I still had one of them at least.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Rifled shotgun slugs have been around for over 100 years by this point

brenneke-history.png

While the "rifling" does impart spin, it's not actually stabilizing anything, it's all drag, similar to a nerf dart

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I agree with Lonesome Dove. Unless your deer hunting in a shotgun only state, I’ve never seen much use for a slug gun either if you’re dealing with a Remington or a Mossberg etc. where you can change the barrels, most of them have available the 24 inch barrel with “rifle“ type sites.
    If you’re looking for an extended length deer season, Mossberg makes a .50 cal black powder barrel. You just changed the barrel and use 45 ACP slugs in a Sabot. Very accurate and gives you an extra week or so of deer season as it qualifies as primitive weapons.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Slugs are about the only thing I can find for a .410 When I had the Judge I had sone slugs as well as Buckshot, but not sure if I still have any. If I find some I'll let you know.

Found some Winchester slugs yesterday. When I get my shotgun back, I will try them at the range.

If you are, “going to have it cut down”, I assume you’re going to have a gunsmith/ shop do it. if so, consider just having rifle sites installed if it’s going to be a slug only option. Probably for a couple extra dollars have it threaded for the Accuchokes.
    Cutting 4 inches off will leave you with a straight cylinder bore.
    Like I said, above, in a previous post, I’ve fired mini slugs, through full choke without a problem. The lead rifling of the slug, being so much softer than the steel of the barrel creates no problem just look at the depth/height of the rifling on a slug, and it’ll make sense.

Yes, I'm having a gunsmith do it. Putting the bead back on for now since it's mainly a backyard varmint/HD gun. But, I may add an old red dot I have lying around later. I figure the recoil of the .410 is gentle enough for a rifle-rated dot.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Found some Winchester slugs yesterday. When I get my shotgun back, I will try them at the range.

Yes, I'm having a gunsmith do it. Putting the bead back on for now since it's mainly a backyard varmint/HD gun. But, I may add an old red dot I have lying around later. I figure the recoil of the .410 is gentle enough for a rifle-rated dot.
    You are correct regarding the recoil. Any scope that can handle, magnum rifle recoil, although different, can handle shotgun recoil.
    One odd little fact about scopes. Aa scope that can handle .50 BMG recoil can get torn up by putting on an air rifle.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I want a slug gun because I want one, Enough said.
    however, I do enjoy finding creative ways to destroy the invasive swine, which is just one way I intend to use it.

Top Bottom