• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Read more at Truth about Guns. In another posting on this forum Washington Gun Law channel suggests this may be last one likely to pass such a law. The others are too 'blue' read anti-2A.

South Carolina is inching closer to implementing a law that would enable residents to carry guns openly without a permit, a discussion that seemed to have hit a standstill but is now actively progressing in the state legislature. This movement comes after a decisive vote in the state House, marking a pivotal step forward for the permitless carry bill.

In a recent session, the House demonstrated strong support for the bill, with an 86-33 vote predominantly split along party lines; the majority of Republicans voted in favor, while Democrats largely opposed the measure. (What’s new?!?) Simultaneously, the Senate engaged in discussions regarding the bill, albeit delaying a final vote to address amendments related to the judicial election process.

Anticipation is building around the governor’s office, with expectations high that the bill will be signed into law.
    Guns International

Attachments

• scflag.jpg
      scflag.jpg
      22.8 KB · Views: 13

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I'm most likely a minority voice on this, but some type of rudimentary check/education/range proficiency makes me feel a little more comfortable.

Some real yahoos out there- some shouldn't have cars, let alone carry.

Guns-for-all is swinging the pendulum too far.

Less than one-half of one percent of convictions in Texas ranging from aggravated assault with a deadly weapon to robbery were committed by adults with a valid License to Carry (LTC) who are 21 years or older. link

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Read more at Truth about Guns. In another posting on this forum Washington Gun Law channel suggests this may be last one likely to pass such a law. The others are too 'blue' read anti-2A.

South Carolina is inching closer to implementing a law that would enable residents to carry guns openly without a permit, a discussion that seemed to have hit a standstill but is now actively progressing in the state legislature. This movement comes after a decisive vote in the state House, marking a pivotal step forward for the permitless carry bill.

In a recent session, the House demonstrated strong support for the bill, with an 86-33 vote predominantly split along party lines; the majority of Republicans voted in favor, while Democrats largely opposed the measure. (What’s new?!?) Simultaneously, the Senate engaged in discussions regarding the bill, albeit delaying a final vote to address amendments related to the judicial election process.

Anticipation is building around the governor’s office, with expectations high that the bill will be signed into law.

Any idea what the implications may be for nonresidents if SC?

When it comes to their gun laws, SC has often been a strange bird. It is one of the few States in the entire region where I was prohibited from carrying based ok their system.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Any idea what the implications may be for nonresidents if SC?

When it comes to their gun laws, SC has often been a strange bird. It is one of the few States in the entire region where I was prohibited from carrying based ok their system.
    Hopefully just like all the other ones, open to all non prohibited persons

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I'm most likely a minority voice on this, but some type of rudimentary check/education/range proficiency makes me feel a little more comfortable.

Less than one-half of one percent of convictions in Texas ranging from aggravated assault with a deadly weapon to robbery were committed by adults with a valid License to Carry (LTC) who are 21 years or older. link

They have that rudimentary check, education and proficiency thing you want with guns for motor vehicles. And vehicles still kill tons of people every year. It does not stop people from being stupid or careless.
    Worried about the random freak accidental chance of being shot from carlessness? You have LOTS more to worry about than guns. Check the CDC's website for "cause of death statistics". Accidental shooting is way down the list.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I figured as much.
    They have that rudimentary check, education and proficiency thing you want with guns for motor vehicles. And vehicles still kill tons of people every year. It does not stop people from being stupid or careless.
    Worried about the random freak accidental chance of being shot from carlessness? You have LOTS more to worry about than guns. Check the CDC's website for "cause of death statistics". Accidental shooting is way down the list.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    And permitless carry is working just fine.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Well it passed, now SC my birth State and LA are members of the club. No excuses other than politics to keep other states from joining. Looks like anyone that is eligible is legal. So Texans can carry there without a permit. I like that the state will provide free training for those still wanting to get their CWP. Let's keep the movement spreading. The more gets us closer to being able to get rid of unconstitutional gun control.

Last edited:

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg

Minority? Yes. The right to bear arms not infringed. If you want training go for it, do not require others to have your permission via classes.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Has South Carolina finally passed Constitutional Carry? Washington Gun Law President discusses that very topic today what the State of South Carolina has done and NOT done for their citizens. While this is certainly a step in the right direction the bickering between the two chambers has left this bill with some major dents in it.

Yes, there are some serious shortcomings in the law. One will hope that in coming years SC will eliminate/change the law. Texas didn't have a perfect CHL law in 1995 and we had to struggle until 2021 to get constitutional carry. Not going the whole way is the risk adverse nature on elected officials especially in election year.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa

You can be comfortable without any anti-2A (aka unconstitutional) laws (eg mandating checks/education/proficiency)

because— There is absolutely NO evidence that gun crime or gun violence or risk to innocents has risen in any of the 27 (now 28) states that have constitutional carry.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    You can be comfortable without any anti-2A (aka unconstitutional) laws (eg mandating checks/education/proficiency)

because— There is absolutely NO evidence that gun crime or gun violence or risk to innocents has risen in any of the 27 (now 28) states that have constitutional carry.
    It's 29 now

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Has South Carolina finally passed Constitutional Carry? Washington Gun Law President discusses that very topic today what the State of South Carolina has done and NOT done for their citizens. While this is certainly a step in the right direction the bickering between the two chambers has left this bill with some major dents in it.

Yes, there are some serious shortcomings in the law. One will hope that in coming years SC will eliminate/change the law. Texas didn't have a perfect CHL law in 1995 and we had to struggle until 2021 to get constitutional carry. Not going the whole way is the risk adverse nature on elected officials especially in election year.

Here a few details from the new law by Bearing Arms.

The new law will allow you to carry a handgun without a permit or required training.

While the law gives more freedom to legal gun owners, it also increases penalties for people who illegally carry, such as convicted felons.

“Understand the laws, because there are potentially stricter penalties if you violate those laws and carry in places you shouldn’t carry,” said Airey.

Can someone read the bill with a 'legal eye' and determine if non-resident can carry without any sort of permit from their home state. That would be ideal.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Here a few details from the new law by Bearing Arms.

The new law will allow you to carry a handgun without a permit or required training.

While the law gives more freedom to legal gun owners, it also increases penalties for people who illegally carry, such as convicted felons.

“Understand the laws, because there are potentially stricter penalties if you violate those laws and carry in places you shouldn’t carry,” said Airey.

Can someone read the bill with a 'legal eye' and determine if non-resident can carry without any sort of permit from their home state. That would be ideal.
    My interpretation is any one 18 and older that is legal to possess a firearm can conceal carry. Nothing says you have to be a resident of SC.

Top Bottom