• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kk365ss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    Dime Box
    I recently bought this rifle and have used 5 different brands of ammo and grains of bullets from 125gr. to 180 gr. . Can;t get this thing to group closer than 3".
    I even changed out the trigger to a drop in 3.5 lb. pull. Better than the factory 6 lb. pull trigger but still can't group very well. Any tips or suggestions?
    Hurley's Gold

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Tomorrow I’m sending my Saint Edge 10.3” pistol in 5.56 back to SA, because it’s severely over-gassed.
    I bought it, instead of building my own, with a hope of getting top-notch for extra $$$$.
    It was a mistake!
    Just sayin’.

Last edited:

CarlS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2023
    Austin
    I've got a 716i and have been happy with 3moa from decent x51 surplus and just under 2moa from FGMM. I wouldn't be happy with the performance your saint is getting either but my point is that these "budget" AR10 type rifles shouldn't be expected to give 1moa. Seems that extra inch off of groups comes with close to a $1k price increase.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well you can always buy a proper precision barrel. My DB10 is an 18" factory rifle that came with a cmc trigger. Here's a typical 5 shot group with better than average reloads. It has shot a 1.25" 5 shot group at 100 yds with Hornady black SSTs. If I'm shooting m80 or similar military fodder it's a 2+ moa gun.

Attachments

• IMG_20240131_214221885_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20240131_214221885_HDR.jpg
      179.5 KB · Views: 25

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If there is nothing wrong with the rifle, keep trying different ammo or try reloading. What kind of optic are you using? Could it be loose or the wrong paralax. Is your eye in exactly the same position each shot? Cheek weld the same? Are you relaxed?
    All those make a difference.
    I have seen rifles that shoot many loads acceptably accurate. And some that will shoot only one. You just have to find, or make, that one. My Valkyrie is that way. It shoots only ONE bullet and load as accurate as I want, and I load it myself. Only other round even comes close is American Eagle 75gr.. And I know others that never found an accurate load for theirs.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thanks to all. I'll probably end up with a different barrel. Any suggestions?

Faxon makes a fine barrel. Don’t take offense, but have you grouped better with the same caliber in an AR pattern rifle? Iron sights or appropriate optic.

I ask because ARs can have a lot of slop all around simple due to the design. There are ways to tighten it all up, and that helps a lot. I know when I tackle a new platform, it usually takes a few hundred or more rounds to get everything to seat and really start wringing out accuracy. I spent a few thousand rounds over a year going from MOA to 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups reliably with a bull barreled CZ455 and 4-16x44 FFP MRAD optic.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I honestly think most mass produced AR 10s are not MOA rifles. Closer to 2" w off the shelf fmj. I've had good luck with Hornady black but I admit mine probably has less than 200 rounds down the pipe. My buddies older generation Armalite is about a half inch tighter than mine but runs a ss featureless barrel. Wouldn't hurt to let someone else shoot a few groups and it may settle in after another 100 rounds.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    First check would be the crown, a small ding goes a long ways to messing up accuracy.
    My Armalite's crown was off center, and cut with a dull tool.
    As soon as I recut it, things got much better.

Also check barrel to receiver slop.
    A thermal fit makes things much better, and few off the shelf ARs have that.

And most AR10s are over gassed, so you may consider an adjustable gas block while you are at it.

Don't cheap-out on scope mounts, seen some real wimpy ones out there.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    How many rounds have you shot out of it?

Some guns require a couple hundred rounds for break-in. My 300 Blk AR was that way. I shot it often and it just was all over the place. Then all of a sudden I was shooting sub MOA with it. Around 1/2 groups. Had a similar issue with a 308.

All that to say, just keep shooting it. But by 300 rounds it should start to tighten up on groups. If it does not, check your scope mounts. I would echo the comments about different ammo. Some guns are just that way.

And its also the reason I reload for all my rifles. You can load test rounds to find an optimal load.

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Just got the upper back from SA.
    Hope to get it to the range next weekend. I’ll keep you posted.
    IMO, if a gun needs “break-in”, it’s probably due to a poor quality or a lack of design.
    I agree on finding optimal load(s).

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I think you’re mistaken on break-in. CMMG, FN Herstal, and a couple others required it. Those are all quality makers and weapons.

Hoping this new barrel gets you rolling.

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Meanwhile, this video should eliminate all my suspicions regarding the ammo.
    Apparently, this Indumil ammo is GTG.

Top Bottom