• ...and so much more!
  • Which kit/machine to buy

• Total voters

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    Of all the starter kits for reloading, who makes the best and most complete kit? Or is there one? I have a friend who is think of starting and I don't want to lead him wrong. I'm a Dillon fan but I don't think they make a true starter kit, that's the reason for the question.
    Capitol Armory ad

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    all the good name brands have good kits for the first timer some have better scales or more stuff with them but all are pretty good it don't matter if it's lee, or rcbs or whatever just make sure there is a good loading book and read it well before you start, also make sure the scales are good and accurate.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I found a rcbs rockchucker kit for $40.00 in the local paper one day sitting at work bored. The guy really just wanted to talk guns and deer hunting for an hour and he threw in some other stuff.. But that is what I learned on and came with everything needed to actually start. Throw in a tumbler, cutter, and some small other parts. RCBS is quality for sure and the newer rock chucker kits although more expensive come with a very sturdy solid made press. But as others said most name brand kits have good parts also.

My vote though is look for a local kit that is used and get new dies sets for your caliber especially if you are just going for pistol bullets or .223 - .308 .. Unless you are shooting competition all the high end stuff is a waste of money IMHO.

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks everybody. I'll pass this information on to my friend. He lives 2,000 miles away so I can't help but with information and I didn't want to daint things with my preference of a Dillon. More choices the better.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    A quick search from my local reload store website has these prices advertised; (they don’t sell Dillon)

Single stage starter kits:

• Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger Kit $104
    • RCBS Partner Press Reloading Kit $169
    • RCBS Reloading Starter Kit $281
    • RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit $323
    • Hornaday Lock-N-Load Classic Kit $324
    All these kits include some of the basic start-up necessities such as scales, priming tools, powder measures, and some case prep-tools.

Dies are extra and costs range depends on rifle or pistol, caliber, manufacturer, and type. For pistols, Hornaday and RCBS 3 die pistol sets and Lee 4 die pistol sets all list for around $40.
    Recommended add-ons:

• Reloading manual around $20 (included with the Hornaday and RCBS kits)
    • Dial caliper around $20
    • Bullet puller around $15 - $25 depending on type and brand
    • Basic tumbler and cleaning/polishing media kit around $75

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    So is Dillon the only one that offers a setup that is complete with dies of your choice and just needs to be adjusted
    to the load you want? That being the Square Deal. It doesn't sound like Redding, RCBS, Lee, Lyman or Hornady offer that.
    Sounds like they all are plus dies and initial setup. Am I reading that right?

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    yes dillon is the only one that comes with the dies but only in the square deal b but some one looking to start and do different calibers should go with a good quality single die press and the add on's skinman listed are just about must haves. for sure get a dial or digital caliper for measuring case length and over all case length on loaded ammo once your loaded most guns are length specific for feeding function. the loading books will have length data with each loaded caliber.

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    I added a poll but I'm not sure I did it right but it's there. I can't tell which one is the favorite. This should help me.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    OK, as to which one is more complete. I would have to answer that the Dillon EZ-Buy kits from brianenos.com are the most complete. However, they cost 10x what a Lee classic kit costs and come with a fully outfitted progressive vs a basic single stage. So, comparing the two seems odd.

I was also looking at kits recently. For your reference here is a chart that compares some of them. Keep in mind I have never used any of these so this is only a comparison of what is included and I cannot speak to the usability or quality of each kit.

The following are the specific kits compared:
    Dillon 550B EZ-Buy Kit from BrianEnos.com in it's default configuration
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit
    Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit
    Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Deluxe Expert Kit
    RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

press-comparison.jpg

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    You can get the Lee kit that is set up for 9mm at Cabela's. The 4 die sets is only $35 if you want a differant caliber.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I started with the Lyman turret starter kit.

I wish I would have gotten a cheaper one and just bought the things I needed. I'm not a big fan of turret presses any more. . . at least I think I'm getting some variances in OAL that I could have avoided with a good single stage press.

The more you reload, the more you have an idea of what you need. If you shoot lots of pistol's. . . . get a progressive and don't look back. Otherwise, its not worth it.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Any basic kit is probably very good to start with. I prefer RCBS for my rifle reloading just because I like their customer service and gaurantee. As you gain experience in reloading you upgrade your equipment. I have two beam scales that I will never use again because my electronic scale is much faster and easier to set up. I also use the RCBS powder measurer which is very accurate and eliminates the need to measure each load. Several other items have been added or upgraded to make my reloading easier.
    Last summer I purchased a Dillion 550B press with a .45 ACP caliber conversion. The guy also had the Dillion 550B accessory package which included a beam scale, metal primer tray, case lube, blue fabric cover for the press, reloading manual, and some others items. I bought it all for $250. The press has never been used, but it is 14 years old. I contacted Dillion prior to the purchase and they told me they had made three changes over the years to the 550B press. They offered to send me the parts to upgrade my press for free and assured me the press would still have a complete factory warranty. I feel bad because I have had this press for over a year and it is still in the box. I currently reload my .45 ACP on the Dillion Square Deal B press with good success. I will have to add some more length to my reloading bench in order to incoorporate this 550B. My point in this response is that no matter how you start out, if you stay with it; you will probably end up with totally different reloading equipment in the end. Good luck with your search.

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    ordered a lee classic 50th kit and went to bass pro bought the .308 dies so now im looking for a good powder and bullet combo

Top Bottom