Hurley's Gold

STI Tactical SS-which size would you get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I'm wanting to dive into the 1911 world. Always wanted a Kimber covert, but due to the sometimes not always positive reviews on Kimber, I never got one. Everyone seems to love STI and after what I have seen, I'm leaning that way. I am liking the new Tactical SS, but not sure which to pick, 5,4or 3? Not really planning on carry for it, so I'm thinking the 5, plus I've heard 1911s are better at the standard length, wives tale?
    Guns International

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I'd go for the five inch as a first 1911. You're getting off to a good start with STI. Excellent pistols from a terrific company. Take the plunge, the water's fine.

Obligatory warning: STI pistols can be habit forming!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Agree w/the others - start w/the 5". Unless you're intending to carry, there's really not much reason to go w/a shorted barrel, IMO.

Just remember one thing....LOTS of the keyboard commando's have opinions on shit based on what they've read elsewhere. I *own* Kimbers, and wouldn't hesitate to own another. Having said that, it IS my personal opinion that STI provides the best bang for the buck in any .45 out there right now.

Check w/budsgunshop.com before ya buy - they're usually pretty competitive if they have 'em in stock. Otherwise, I'd go w/Dawson Precision here in Texas - they're competitively priced AND a great bunch to deal with!

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would go with the Glock.

LOL In all seriousness though, you can't go wrong with an STI. They have the best customer service in the business.

Unless you have any real need for the shorter ones, I would just stick to the 5" to keep it easy. Easier to shoot, longer sight radius, etc.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've been eyeballing an STI Tactical myself. Damn it looks and feels nice. Trying to talk myself into and out of the cash at the same time. Cypress Armory was all too happy to put it in my hand, and it took a fair amount of willpower to hand it back and say I wasn't taking her home ;)

I justified my actions by telling myself I know literally zero about the 1911 platform, beyond reading up on the 'net. I realize the only way to really learn it is to buy one though, and I'm trying to decide. Go cheap and potentially be turned off by a finicky piece? Go a bit more expensive and really know for sure?

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    5" since primary purpose is range. But get yourself a good belt and holster. You may find that 5" carries well for you as well.

STI is a fine choice. I need to run by Cypress. Last time I stopped through he had just begun shooting and trading Wilson's. Good to learn he's stocking STIs now.

My first STI - a 2013 Duty One 5.0 Bushing Barrel in .40 short&weak lands in my hands Thursday.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom