May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    STI Trojan - The Best 1911 for the Money

T8.jpg

Stats
    Manufacturer: STI
    Model: Trojan 5.0 (Full Size 1911)
    Price: $1100 MSRP
    Calibers: 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .38 Super (Others Available on Custom Order)
    Barrel: Ramped Wilson / Nowlin Style Barrel with Standard Rifling
    L ayout: F ull-Size Government 1911A1 High Grip Frame w/o Schwartz Safety
    Stippling: STI "Chain Link" Front | Checkered Mainspring Housing
    Guide Rod: Full Length One-Piece Steel
    Spring Rate: 11 - 16# (9mm - .45 ACP)
    Safety: External Extended RH Safety with High Grip Friendly Grip Safety
    Capacity:
    .45 - 7 Rounds Standard, 8 - 10 with Aftermarket Magazines
    .40 - 8 Rounds Standard
    9mm - 9 Rounds Standard, 9 - 10 with Aftermarket Magazines
    .38 Super - 9 Rounds Standard

This is a tall claim, but I believe strongly that the STI Trojan is the best 1911 you can buy for the money. It's a completely US made, hand-built pistol made using quality materials made in-house by STI in Georgetown, TX.

T9.jpg

The STI Trojan 5.0 is a standard full-size 1911 built on a government spec frame and slide. The slide and frame are milled from forged steel bar stock by several stages of CNC machining. They are dehorned and finished by hand prior to fitting, where a single gunsmith will fit the slide and frame by hand. Every STI I have handled, as a result, has had a phenomenal slide to frame fit. Very little, if any, deflection and a slick action. The slide glides like glass over the frame and helps to build a quality handling experience.

T10.jpg

Yin-and-Yang 1911s ... pictured are my standard blued Trojan 5.0 in .45 ACP and my hard chromed Trojan 5.0 in 9mm Luger. Both are phenomenal pistols and definitely keepers. The hard chrome finish is an extra add-on that I highly recommend for hard-use pistols for IDPA, IPSC, and other competition events. The finish is extremely durable and greatly resists corrosion and holster wear. It's an additional cost, but definitely something to consider.

T6.jpg

Normal to modern 1911s, the STI Trojan features a Commander style skeletonized hammer and a beavertail grip safety. The beavertail makes for a more comfortable and controllable shooting experience, while the lightweight hammer aids in reducing lock-time. The safety is single-sided and extended for easy manipulation and a great index point for placing your thumb. The rear sight is an adjustable STI rear sight.

T1.jpg

The STI Trojan 5.0 does not have a Swartz safety. The Swartz safety was a safety designed by a Colt employee to prevent accidental discharge by blocking the firing pin from traveling forward when the grip safety was not activated. In the days of superior machining and improved hammer design it's become less and less of a necessity. Removing it gives a more simplistic mechanism of action, and thus, a more reliable one.

T4.jpg

One topic of discussion with 1911s is the type of guide rod that is installed. I personally think the full length guide rod is a superior system. By creating a more linear spring compression you will get better life out of the springs and an improved response in spring rate. The downside is that the guns are "more difficult to strip" which I find to be nit-picky. In all honesty, both systems work and neither is prohibitively difficult to maintain. You don't need any additional tools to take apart the full-length system in the Trojan.

T2.jpg

The barrel used in the STI Trojan 5.0 is a stainless steel, fully supported unit with Wilson / Nowlin style lugs and a ramped barrel. While most .45 ACP 1911s on the market use a throated barrel profile, STI sticks with the ramped design. The ramp is hand polished to a mirror shine which helps to improve feeding. The barrels offer great case support compared to a Glock or other "combat" style of pistol. This extends brass life, increases safety, and allows you to run marginally hotter loads if you so choose.

T5.jpg

STI creates a nice semi-aggressive front "STIppling" that has a good look to it. It's nice to have some front strap texture to help mitigate gun movement during recoil. I personally find the 20 - 30 Lpi checkering to be far more aggressive and far more suitable, but the STIppling offers more than just the plain smooth front strap found on other pistols.

T7.jpg

The Trojan, like all STI guns, has a great factory trigger. I've owned numerous STIs and shot a wide range of them and have always enjoyed their triggers. Sure, you can always make one better with some tuning, but for a mass produced pistol, they certainly aren't as hit and miss as say, Kimbers. It's got a little slack, a nice crisp break, and an adjustable overtravel stop integrated into the plastic trigger. Why plastic? ... it doesn't get hot, it's lighter than any metal, and it offers sufficient strength. It also has increased lubricity compared to a metal component which helps to reduce trigger drag at the frame.

One part of the pistol that STI does really well is the materials and production of the trigger components. I think this lends to the pistols having a very long lasting and repeatable trigger feel. Some other manufacturers use a lot of MIM (Metal Injection Molded) parts that are then finished and machined. STI starts with bar stock, and not just any bar stock, but high grade materials like titanium (for the struts) and S-7 tool steel (for the sears). The sear, hammer, and struts are all gold wire EDM (Electric Discharge Machining) cut. The co-usage of incredibly hard materials and finite machining processes is the measure of a great trigger setup.

Also pictured are the nice STI cocobola grips. They are a bit slick for hard use work, but they look good! I plan on replacing them with some VZ Operators or other suitable grips.

T3.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Isn't STI right by the airport off I-35 in Georgetown? If so, I think my sister lives within' 1/4 mile of STI. I'd sure like to visit them and fondle some of their pistols. Those guns are real beauties!

GKC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    I was talking to my local gun smith today, initially asking about the cost of doing some work on one of my 1911s, and we got into a discussion of the budget 1911s. He said that if someone wanted an inexpensive 1911, he would recommend the STI Spartan, since they use the frame and slide made in the Phillipines but STI internals (I have no idea if that is correct...but that is what he said.) As for the STIs all made here, he highly recommended them....after all, they are made in Texas!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm confused. They say their made in Texas but do slides and frames come from the Phillipines? Not a problem but just wondering. Seriously consideringn a full size, not sure just which one yet. What kind of warranty to they have?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm confused. They say their made in Texas but do slides and frames come from the Phillipines? Not a problem but just wondering. Seriously consideringn a full size, not sure just which one yet. What kind of warranty to they have?

The STI Spartan addressed by an employee of STI:

"Actually, its built on a Armscor Frame… We build all other parts here and send them as a kit to the Armscor to be assembled and finished. We have a separate area over there where we have trained 6 gunsmiths to build the guns our way to our specs using our parts. Essentially we made the pistol cheaper in price by saving on labor. When the pistols arrive here they are then test fired and checked over 100% to our quality standards."

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Oh, man, I totally hate you for doing this review. There's a Trojan at the gun shop up the road that has been calling my name every time I go past. I try to keep it out of my mind and here you are showing me all the glorious internals.

{sigh} Guess I need to go dig out that pittance I keep hidden from the wife and see how close I am this week.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

The Trojan is 100% built in Texas. The frames are cut from billets in the CNCs located in Georgetown.

The Spartan is their "affordable" 1911. It's an Armscor gun and is nothing like the Trojan IMO.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ^^ Apparently you have you run both the Trojan and Spartan.
    Care to describe any differences?

The front strap stippling on the Trojan is nice/unique looking. Does it provide good grip compared to LPI work?
    For comparison, I really liked the stippling on Sig's Scorpion.

If the Trojan is for non-carry, non-comp use, would you recommend the hard chrome option?

Top Bottom