• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    1. No. If a truck says it gets 22 mpg, it may be 24, it may be 12. Tons of variables, don't pay much attention to that number.

2. More than 2. Reduce concussion, audio report, visual signature (flash and debris both), reduce recoil.

3. Yes and no. Not exactly, but kind of. It depends on the silencer.

4. Not exactly. Case by case basis.

5. Close. Most are designed for specific pressures in conjunction with bore size and necessary functions for the host type. Pistol silencers are often larger than rifle silencers.

6. Depends on the silencer. Some yes, some no.

7. Nope. If you don't want to be on a list, you're too late my friend.

8. Yes, kind of, but that's a misleading statement. The report from the muzzle is the loudest part, which the silencer takes care of. Action and supersonic crack are two other noises. A bolt action removes one of these, but is normally only more quiet to a specific spot in space. (IE, shooter's ear)

Quick Disconnect vs. Direct Thread is only an argument with people who are inexperienced. It's like trying to argue about a Glock 17 versus a Glock 26. They're different tools for different jobs. A hammer isn't better or worse than a screwdriver, unless you're using a screwdriver to pound in nails.... and that's wronger than two boys... nevermind.
    Guns International

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    1. No. If a truck says it gets 22 mpg, it may be 24, it may be 12. Tons of variables, don't pay much attention to that number.

2. More than 2. Reduce concussion, audio report, visual signature (flash and debris both), reduce recoil.

3. Yes and no. Not exactly, but kind of. It depends on the silencer.

4. Not exactly. Case by case basis.

5. Close. Most are designed for specific pressures in conjunction with bore size and necessary functions for the host type. Pistol silencers are often larger than rifle silencers.

6. Depends on the silencer. Some yes, some no.

7. Nope. If you don't want to be on a list, you're too late my friend.

8. Yes, kind of, but that's a misleading statement. The report from the muzzle is the loudest part, which the silencer takes care of. Action and supersonic crack are two other noises. A bolt action removes one of these, but is normally only more quiet to a specific spot in space. (IE, shooter's ear)

Quick Disconnect vs. Direct Thread is only an argument with people who are inexperienced. It's like trying to argue about a Glock 17 versus a Glock 26. They're different tools for different jobs. A hammer isn't better or worse than a screwdriver, unless you're using a screwdriver to pound in nails.... and that's wronger than two boys... nevermind.

I'd trust these folks CA has not done me wrong yet and I just bought my 3rd suppressor in March and it was through them instead of their primary competitor because of how awesome they have been. I've got a suppressor that will be in Jail another 5 months that im really excited to get as we got to go out in March and shoot a ton of suppressors at their event in SouthWest Austin.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    What other considerations am I not thinking about with this? Are any of my assumptions wrong?
    I came across one today, while reading an older American Rifleman recipe for a subsonic 9mm load. It gave the typical velocity for the load (882 fps) then said "leaving plenty of room for for the marginal velocity increase that a sound suppressor might add".
    Now, I have ZERO experience with suppressors (some day), but logically would have thought you would expect a velocity DECREASE, not a boost. What am I missing?
    Want to look it up? September 2022 on page 69...

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I came across one today, while reading an older American Rifleman recipe for a subsonic 9mm load. It gave the typical velocity for the load (882 fps) then said "leaving plenty of room for for the marginal velocity increase that a sound suppressor might add".
    Now, I have ZERO experience with suppressors (some day), but logically would have thought you would expect a velocity DECREASE, not a boost. What am I missing?

A suppressor can add some velocity, unless it has wipes, which even then wont reduce velocity much

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    After bullet leaves barrel, it is still under pressure while inside the suppressor and being accelerated. The pressure is much, much lower but still exists.

This is also know as free bore boost.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    For what it's worth, I like the QD mounts, specifically tri lug mounts. When I use direct thread when shooting some volume, I am consistently checking and retightening down the suppressor as it seems to always find its way to get loose. Never had that issue with the QD mounts.

Video below shooting 124 grain supersonic and then 147 grain subsonic rounds right behind it. Makes noticing the supersonic crack much more noticeable when shot close together like this.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I'll add, most suppressors have a universal hub of 1 3/8 × 24. It helps because you can start with one brand of suppressor & their QD muzzle devices. Then purchase a different brand suppressor with same 1 3/8 ×24 hub. Since you have muzzle devices for the 1st suppressor you can buy a new hub for the other brand suppressor & keep using your existing muzzle devices.

Example... Yankee Hill use a Phantom mount & Silencer Co uses ASR mount. If you started with the Yankee Hill , you could get a Phantom Hub for the Silencer Co & keep using your existing phantom QD mounts.

Also gives you the flexibility of using a 3 lug mount if you choose verses a flash hider or muzzle break.

ETA.... most suppressors have barrel length/caliber restrictions. I.E. 8" 300 blkout, 10.5" 5.56, 16" .308

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    For trust you can go with a SINGLE SHOT TRUST for $25. They also have a "UNLIMITED SINGLE SHOT TRUST" for $125. Exactly like it sounds.... as many items as you want until you die. With a Single shot trust its easy for you add amendments to it for beneficiary & trustee's without them having to get finger printed, like you would for a corporate trust. All you have to do is go to a notary public & add their names to the trust that you printed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Just a quick Google search...

"A suppressor does not interact with the bullet at all. These accessories actually increase the muzzle length, which in turns gives the gasses more time to expand. This actually increases the bullet’s velocity slightly because of the increased pressure." (Source)

To be honest, I too thought the baffles would cause turbulence which would slow down the bullet (albeit slightly as well). I guess the bullet just stays ahead of all that mess behind it!

A little more Googling revealed the increase is about 25 fps.

However, as most using a suppressor do so with subsonic ammo (for further suppression) which are typically heavier bullets, that in turn causes a decrease over non-subsonic speeds...

"An average 115gn 9mm round travels at about 1250 feet per second, while the speed of sound is 1125 feet per second, which means you get a sonic boom. Moving up to a 147gn bullet you end up with a velocity of around 980 feet per second, which is sub-sonic, therefore no sonic boom. So when firing a suppressed 9mm firearm, you would want to use the heavier, slower rounds, in order to eliminate the sonic boom." (Source)

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Just a quick Google search...

To be honest, I too thought the baffles would cause turbulence which would slow down the bullet (albeit slightly as well). I guess the bullet just stays ahead of all that mess behind it!

A little more Googling revealed the increase is about 25 fps.

However, as most using a suppressor do so with subsonic ammo (for further suppression) which are typically heavier bullets, that in turn causes a decrease over non-subsonic speeds...
    5.56 will jump 75-100 fps when suppressed.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I heard the same from a trusted friend, yesterday. 3 calendar days start to finish, the first week of this month.

Top Bottom