• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cordell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Williamson County
    Hey fellas

I was wondering if you all could help me with some research on surveillance camera systems. I've had some vandals, probably little dumb ass teenagers, vandalizing some property at night pretty regularly. I've asked the Sheriff's Office for close patrols of the area at night, but they can't afford the be there 24/7 so I was hoping to put up some cameras to get a better idea of when the vandalism is being done. It is in an area on the back of my property with no power outlets so I need some cameras that work off of battery power and have an SD card as opposed to a DVR which requires power.

I was thinking to get some Game Cameras like the ones used for deer but wasn't too sure if they would be concealable enough. I don't know too much about them and this is my first step in research for quality cameras that could get me some quality pictures during the night which is when the damage seems to be occurring.
    Texas SOT

Cattleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    Texas
    My uncle using a game Camera for the same reason and his has no flash and has caught many kids cutting fence to fish and leave him chasing cows. I will find out his make and model tmrw and let you know. His doesn't flash so it's easily concealable. It uses a black flash or something (I'm not sure just know it's neat).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cattleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    Texas
    My uncle has a spypoint BF-7 but he was telling me they made a better model that is a BF-8. He has had great luck with it. Hope you catch them.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Short version: The cameras you want will likely be very expensive, at $400 or more, before batteries and SD cards. But they are awesome.

Longer version: You need a flash. The poster above who said his uncle's camera doesn't flash is incorrect. It flashes, but the human eye (and animals' eyes) cannot detect it. It's commonly called a No-Glow flash. I do not fully understand the technology needed to make this happen, but it's usually only on the very most expensive game cameras. That being said, if you find something that's No-Glow for less, get it.

Concealment will be up to you. I've had more than one game camera stolen by a vandal, which has taught me how to hide them better. If this is in the woods, the ones with a camp pattern are obviously better than the ones that are solid green or black.

Another thing to consider would be battery-powered motion-detector floodlights, to deter people. These have very good reviews: Mr Beams MB393 300-Lumen Weatherproof Wireless Battery Powered LED Ultra Bright Spotlight with Motion Sensor, Brown, 3-Pack - Amazon.com

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Hey fellas

I was wondering if you all could help me with some research on surveillance camera systems. I've had some vandals, probably little dumb ass teenagers, vandalizing some property at night pretty regularly. I've asked the Sheriff's Office for close patrols of the area at night, but they can't afford the be there 24/7 so I was hoping to put up some cameras to get a better idea of when the vandalism is being done. It is in an area on the back of my property with no power outlets so I need some cameras that work off of battery power and have an SD card as opposed to a DVR which requires power.

I was thinking to get some Game Cameras like the ones used for deer but wasn't too sure if they would be concealable enough. I don't know too much about them and this is my first step in research for quality cameras that could get me some quality pictures during the night which is when the damage seems to be occurring.

once you make your mind up on what you want, pm me and I'll see if I can't do a feller TGT'er a favor on a jaw dropper. I do have a home security CCTV system(s) with remote i/p access(s) and backup system(s) but then again I'm a city slicker. Out in the back woods, it's a bit more challenging.

Cattleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    Texas
    He is correct my apologize It has a black flash(what that certain manufacture is calling it) I don't understand it either but it works. And the price for the bf-7 is only $200. I'm new to the game camera technology thought it worked like night vision. I was incorrect.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    If you're going to get cameras, another thing to think about is batteries. I stayed away from all the cameras that use D cell batteries, because I hate those things. There are plenty of good cameras that use AA batteries. Get rechargeables, and then you can use them everywhere else in the house as well. When I go to the ranch, I take a new set of rechargeables with me and swap out the ones in the cameras. Then I take the old ones home and recharge, rinse, and repeat.

Cattleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    Texas
    Have u heard about or seen the ones where you keep the sd card in a separate box away from the camera?

Cordell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Williamson County
    Do u have a certain brand/model u prefer?

No, not really. I just need something that can sustain itself, with power and wouldn't be detectable by a human at night. It would be best to have a quality camera to get a good picture of these jack wagons to help aid in any sort of criminal prosecution.

Last edited:

Cordell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Williamson County
    Reconyx. They're the Mercedes of game cams. (I'm spending your hypothetical money, so I don't have a budget!)

Moultrie® GameSpy D - 55IRXT Infrared Game Camera. No recommendation. previous product I've ordered on special request before. I will inquire with the end user as far as satisfaction.

Thanks man I will check it out.

Last edited:

Cordell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Williamson County
    Thanks for the info. I will take that into account. However, I am no longer looking to deter. The vandalism is a pretty regular event (about once a week). I am now looking to see if I can catch them in the act so that I can have as much information as possible to ensure a better chance of any sort of prosecution by the County Attorney.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Thanks for the info. I will take that into account. However, I am no longer looking to deter. The vandalism is a pretty regular event (about once a week). I am now looking to see if I can catch them in the act so that I can have as much information as possible to ensure a better chance of any sort of prosecution by the County Attorney.

These are a little craptacular, but at twenty bucks each it's not much of a loss. They have a motion detector mode and take a standard mini-USB connection for power. Set a few of them up with battery packs (if you want to go cheap, you can tape a few batteries together (AAA to C or D cell, doesn't matter), put a diode in line, and power them for days. They won't be good for a little more past thirty or forty feet, so they will probably only help if you can identify a spot that most of the trespassers go through and set up a couple to cover it. On the plus side, they're fairly easy concealable.

Amazon.com: 2.5-inch HD Car LED IR Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder Traffic Dashboard Camcorder - LCD 270 degrees whirl: Car Electronics

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    These are a little craptacular, but at twenty bucks each it's not much of a loss. They have a motion detector mode and take a standard mini-USB connection for power. Set a few of them up with battery packs (if you want to go cheap, you can tape a few batteries together (AAA to C or D cell, doesn't matter), put a diode in line, and power them for days. They won't be good for a little more past thirty or forty feet, so they will probably only help if you can identify a spot that most of the trespassers go through and set up a couple to cover it. On the plus side, they're fairly easy concealable.

Amazon.com: 2.5-inch HD Car LED IR Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder Traffic Dashboard Camcorder - LCD 270 degrees whirl: Car Electronics

I don't think that would work. The motion detector in these types of cameras uses a gyroscope, which measures movement of the camera, not objects in front of the camera.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have used the Moultrie IR cameras. Simple, easy interface, video or still, long battery life (months), SD card.

Top Bottom