• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    I raised 2 girls and they are both adults now. I have taught many more of my friends' kids the same safety rules. I have seen them work . My post is about the things I believe should be added for kids on top of the basic rules of gun safety.
    1 treat all guns as if loaded.
    2 Don't point gun at anything you don't want to shoot at.
    3 Finger off trigger until ready to shoot.
    4 Wear eye and ear protection.
    Those 4 rules always apply to gun safety at all ages, amen.

My additional rules for kids are as follows:
    1 Never touch a gun without an adult there with you supervising.
    2 Keep the recoil appropriate to their body size.

You can lock up and make safe your own home with guns, but you can't control every place your kid might go in their lifetime. So you need to gun-proof your kid. Teach them that if they see a gun anywhere, don't touch it, and go get an adult. If they are with other kids, dont let them touch the gun, try to get them to leave with them and all of ya go get an adult. If the friends don't want to leave the area, then you go get an adult. I have seen this rule work on my own kids at other peoples houses and have heard stories from friends that it worked for them also.

My 2 girls each had a 22 rifle since they were 5 years old and a 20 gauge since they were 12. The 22 was perfectly fine for their sizes at 5. Not so much with the shotgun. 12 was too young for them to hold the weight of the gun up and take the recoil. They were both ready for the shotgun by 14. I had a buddy with 2 sons that could shoot my girls' shotguns at the age of 7 and 10, they were both athletic and wanted to shoot for sure. I just know that too much recoil has turned off many a kid to shooting.
    DK Firearms

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I raised 2 girls and they are both adults now. I have taught many more of my friends' kids the same safety rules. I have seen them work . My post is about the things I believe should be added for kids on top of the basic rules of gun safety.
    1 treat all guns as if loaded.
    2 Don't point gun at anything you don't want to shoot at.
    3 Finger off trigger until ready to shoot.
    4 Wear eye and ear protection.
    Those 4 rules always apply to gun safety at all ages, amen.

You got rule 4 wrong. It should be "Always be certain of your target and what is behind it". Eye and ear protection are a good idea and should be worn, but they are not an iron-clad requirement for not causing death or grievous injury through carelessness.

My general rule for my children is "Don't do stupid shit". It's an all-purpose bit of guidance, useful in any situation in life.

Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    I always counted that idea into my number 2 rule. Never point a gun where you don't want to shoot but I see how some need it to be a stand alone rule. Either way you missed my point if you got stuck there.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I always counted that idea into my number 2 rule. Never point a gun where you don't want to shoot but I see how some need it to be a stand alone rule. Either way you missed my point if you got stuck there.

Dunno why you'd think I was "stuck" there, since I added the other major rule my kids are taught right underneath my comment on your list.

Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    I agree 100% Axxe55. When I first set out to teach my kids about how to respect what guns can do I let my girls draw a cute face on a smallish round watermelon then shot it with a 9mm hollow point at about 20 ft. They saw the reality real quick and remember it to this day. They were under 6 years old then.

As for letting school teach these lessons....I don't trust them to get any of this right. The kids are your responsibility and so is their safety and actions. Dont farm it out to the libs in our schools.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I agree 100% Axxe55. When I first set out to teach my kids about how to respect what guns can do I let my girls draw a cute face on a smallish round watermelon then shot it with a 9mm hollow point at about 20 ft. They saw the reality real quick and remember it to this day. They were under 6 years old then.

As for letting school teach these lessons....I don't trust them to get any of this right. The kids are your responsibility and so is their safety and actions. Dont farm it out to the libs in our schools.
    WHEN CHILDREN ARE NOTTAUGHT ABOUTGUNS THEYDEVELOPACURIOSITY ABOUT THEMANDWITH THAT THERE IS NORESPECT FOR WHAT THEY ARE CAPABLE OF DOING

Top Bottom