• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    I'm a new resident to Texas, and I must say that the process to get your vehicles registered and drivers license here is f'in retarded!

1. They only give you 30 days to complete everything! What a joke! So I get my 3 cars registered all at once. Great now next year all three will be due at the same time again. Oh and I love the $90 "New Resident Fee" per vehicle. Lets stick it to the FNG...

2. Why do you do registration in one place and license in another?
    The hour wait for registration was not too bad but when I went to the DOT.. OH MY GOD... bureaucracy at a SNAILS pace. walked in waited in line for 20 mins to get a number.. my number is 94. I look at the wall it says 34..

40 mins later it still said 34!!!!! :mad:
    Looks like I'd better pitch a tent.

3. Inspections, we don't need no stinkin inspections.. My 2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 failed the OBDII part of the test. Tech says drive it around some more, 2 systems came up as "Not ready". 300 miles later it still comes up as "not ready" 100 miles after that it finally became ready. It's funny that they check all these "Safety related items" Yet I still see all kinds of cars on the road that look like they just drove out of the junk yard..

4. I cant wait to renew my registration, and get another inspection next year. Or renew my license in 6 years...

I moved here from Arizona. I was born and raised in Northern California before that. When I moved to Arizona, I went to the MVD ( Motor Vehicle Division) in a matter of 30 mins I got 2 vehicles registered (2 year registration), and got a new license (Actually a new license handed to me which does not expire until i'm 65, I was 25 then). Why can Texas not be efficient? How many Tax dollars are wasted in this process? I must say even California is easier to register vehicles and get DL's in.

Rant over..

p.s. To all the Texans who are going to flame me for ranting about anything bad about Texas go ahead it's your 1st Amendment right! Though anybody who says this is a great system is a Jackass.
    Target Sports

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Its not that bad up here in bell county and welcome to Texas that is a small price to pay to live in gods country. Lol

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think they do the to new implants, just to make sure you REALLY want to be here...

But seriously, it sounds like it's a bit harder than AZ, but having lived in Illinois, Hawaii, New Jersey, and Tennessee, then moving to Texas, I thought I was in heaven only having to wait 45 minutes. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    All the fees are generally because of the number of roads in Texas. We have the most miles of roads in the entire US, it's something like 300,000+ miles, on top of all the other projects.

Gutshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    I am sure if you get on I-10 heading west you will be back where you don't have to wait as long. Of course you probably won't have a job. Your home value will sink through the floor. You will have to put up with belly acking Califoricators. The freedoms here are far better than you realize. So welcome to Texas and shut the f*** up!

Gutshot

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I'm a new resident to Texas, and I must say that the process to get your vehicles registered and drivers license here is f'in retarded!

1. They only give you 30 days to complete everything! What a joke! So I get my 3 cars registered all at once. Great now next year all three will be due at the same time again. Oh and I love the $90 "New Resident Fee" per vehicle. Lets stick it to the FNG...

The hour wait for registration was not too bad but when I went to the DOT.. OH MY GOD... bureaucracy at a SNAILS pace. walked in waited in line for 20 mins to get a number.. my number is 94. I look at the wall it says 34..

3. Inspections, we don't need no stinkin inspections.. My 2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 failed the OBDII part of the test. Tech says drive it around some more, 2 systems came up as "Not ready". 300 miles later it still comes up as "not ready" 100 miles after that it finally became ready. It's funny that they check all these "Safety related items" Yet I still see all kinds of cars on the road that look like they just drove out of the junk yard..

4. I cant wait to renew my registration, and get another inspection next year. Or renew my license in 6 years...

I moved here from Arizona. I was born and raised in Northern California before that. When I moved to Arizona, I went to the MVD ( Motor Vehicle Division) in a matter of 30 mins I got 2 vehicles registered (2 year registration), and got a new license (Actually a new license handed to me which does not expire until i'm 65, I was 25 then). Why can Texas not be efficient? How many Tax dollars are wasted in this process? I must say even California is easier to register vehicles and get DL's in.

Rant over..

p.s. To all the Texans who are going to flame me for ranting about anything bad about Texas go ahead it's your 1st Amendment right! Though anybody who says this is a great system is a Jackass.
    Welcome to Texas and I hope you settle in just great. I have to be honest with you in telling you we really dont give a rats ass how they do it in Cali. or Ariz. Please try to work with the system that is in place, its not that hard. If you need me to get crayons to draw a pic I will be happy to. Like the other gentleman said, I know for a fact there is a hwy that goes back west.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Those systems in place like annual inspections keep clowns and deadbeats off the road. Wouldn't it be nice if you rear-ended some idiot with bad brake lights just cause' they didn't work when he slammed them on ? The annual state inspection makes sure that vehicles like that are fixed up at least once a year. That is why it's called a safety inspection. Once you're in the "system" you can renew registration and your license on the computer so try to not be such a whiney punani about it.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Kinda like when I had to get the inspection in IL, when they said we stick this stick up your tailpipe I took it as the exhaust, not mine, lil falkers.....

btw welcome to TX and I won't flame ya for yer rant, it's your right also

accumack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Bastrop, TX
    My wife and i moved here from MD almost 4 yrs ago. 6 vehicles (3 cars 1 truck 2 motorcycles) it took me about 20 minutes each place and about $1100. it was a lot easier than when we moved to Maryland. there it took me 2 weeks with 6 or 7 trips to dmv I'll take Texas anytime. ps we had to send our plates back certified mail or have our licenses revoked.

beerpunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Sugar Land

Rant over..

Big f'in deal......:rolleyes:

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Personally, I agree with the OP on this one. I don't mind the fees and thevehicle inspection, but I do think that they should do vehicle registration and licensing in the same place. To me, that one thing would streamline the process tremendously. And it was a bit of a PITA, but I won't be leavin' this state over it anymore than the next guy.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    On the other hand, Texas has the strongest Insurancy Lobby, there must be more of them in Austin than jackrabbits in the rural areas of Texas ! If you have more then one vehicle, you must carry liability insurance on every damn one of them although you might be the only driver. I never heard of a vehicle hauled into court and made to pay damages for negligence but many drivers have been. Another rip off caused by the powerful against the powerless, engineered by the bought and paid for.
    Somebody once said, "Texas has the best politicians that money can buy". Not all of them of course.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Rant over..

p.s. To all the Texans who are going to flame me for ranting about anything bad about Texas go ahead it's your 1st Amendment right!

Doesn't look like you got flamed as bad as I thought you would have. Hello & welcome to Texas.

Top Bottom