• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obdurant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2024
    Lockhart, TX
    I'm a big fan of the 9.3x62 as an all around hunting cartridge, and am looking for a handy practical rifle in 9.3x62 that I can use for nilgai hunting in south Texas and maybe even take to Africa at some point for plains game.

I'm considering buying a Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 and sending it to JES Reboring to have it rebored, but I've read mixed reviews of their work and a fair amount of criticism of the owner's business communication habits (hes super hard to get hold of and he only communicates by voice, apparently).

If reboring is impractical or not advised in my case, I may consider rebarreling altogether but that depends a lot on cost and what the trade offs are as far as losing or retaining features. If I rebarrel, will it still be possible to have the same matte stainless finish, the express sights, barrel band sling swivel, matching brake etc? This isnt some generic Rem 700 action with ez-on, ez-off prefit barrels, its got to be done by a gunsmith, most likely.

Of course there's also buying a rifle already chambered in 9.3x62, and in fact I already have a CZ550 that is, but it's hardly what I would consider a practical rifle appropriate for Texas nilgai or African plains game. It's the "Bavarian" model with full length mannlicher style stock, and while it looks pretty, I think it would be more appropriate for something like a Romanian boar hunt or an Austrian stag hunt or something along those lines. My moustache isn't waxed and curly enough for that rifle.

Anyway, Both Steyr and Mauser (Mauser M12) have 9.3x62 rifles in their catalogs, but few if any are imported into the US, apparently. I'd really love one of those Rigby Highland Stalkers but that's sadly well out of my current budget. I also love the Steyr SBS action on my Steyr Scout and having something like Steyr CLII in 9.3x62 would be perfect, but it would require either importing a rifle from Europe (probably very expensive with lots of annoying red tape) or reboring a 30-06 or .270 version, which may result in a very very thin walled barrel if there isn't much "meat" on the barrel to begin with. At least with the Ruger Guide Gun there appears to be enough additional diameter to the barrel to rebore effectively.

My only real gripe with the Ruger is the atrocious bolt slop that's apparently endemic to the M77 action. I worry about the sloppy bolt getting bound up in situations where I'd need to reload quickly for a follow-up shot. There any way to smooth out and tighten up a Ruger M77 action?

How would you go about it?
    Lynx Defense

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Sauer makes a sauer 100 in 9.3x62 that is available in the US... its push feed if that matters to you. Probably going to kick like a mule though as they are light rifles.

If I was after a rifle in that caliber, I would just look at gunbroker for a re barrelled mauser action or I would go to a forum that is more geared towards hunting in Africa.. Idk if I can name it here without breaking some sort of rule, but its easy to find if you combine the words africa and hunting

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My Africa gun is a Remington 700 in .416 Remington Magnum. It started life as a 7mm Remington Mag. I had Hill Country Rifle do the rebarrel.

It's got a Zeiss 1.5X4 IIRC. Its been retired since 1999 the I lasted hunted Africa.

I should sell it as, I'm to gimpy to ever carry it afield to hunt with.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Might already be sold....

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm a big fan of the 9.3x62 as an all around hunting cartridge, and am looking for a handy practical rifle in 9.3x62 that I can use for nilgai hunting in south Texas and maybe even take to Africa at some point for plains game.

I'm considering buying a Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 and sending it to JES Reboring to have it rebored, but I've read mixed reviews of their work and a fair amount of criticism of the owner's business communication habits (hes super hard to get hold of and he only communicates by voice, apparently).

If reboring is impractical or not advised in my case, I may consider rebarreling altogether but that depends a lot on cost and what the trade offs are as far as losing or retaining features. If I rebarrel, will it still be possible to have the same matte stainless finish, the express sights, barrel band sling swivel, matching brake etc? This isnt some generic Rem 700 action with ez-on, ez-off prefit barrels, its got to be done by a gunsmith, most likely.

Of course there's also buying a rifle already chambered in 9.3x62, and in fact I already have a CZ550 that is, but it's hardly what I would consider a practical rifle appropriate for Texas nilgai or African plains game. It's the "Bavarian" model with full length mannlicher style stock, and while it looks pretty, I think it would be more appropriate for something like a Romanian boar hunt or an Austrian stag hunt or something along those lines. My moustache isn't waxed and curly enough for that rifle.

Anyway, Both Steyr and Mauser (Mauser M12) have 9.3x62 rifles in their catalogs, but few if any are imported into the US, apparently. I'd really love one of those Rigby Highland Stalkers but that's sadly well out of my current budget. I also love the Steyr SBS action on my Steyr Scout and having something like Steyr CLII in 9.3x62 would be perfect, but it would require either importing a rifle from Europe (probably very expensive with lots of annoying red tape) or reboring a 30-06 or .270 version, which may result in a very very thin walled barrel if there isn't much "meat" on the barrel to begin with. At least with the Ruger Guide Gun there appears to be enough additional diameter to the barrel to rebore effectively.

My only real gripe with the Ruger is the atrocious bolt slop that's apparently endemic to the M77 action. I worry about the sloppy bolt getting bound up in situations where I'd need to reload quickly for a follow-up shot. There any way to smooth out and tighten up a Ruger M77 action?

How would you go about it?
    So why the 9.3x 62 over a 375 H&H? Just personal preference?

I have a CZ (550 probably) in 375 H&H and it is the exact rifle you are describing. If you handload you could load down ammo a bit to match the 9.3 if recoil is an issue.

Just curious.

Top Bottom