• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Our house was built in 2005 and we bought it in 2018. Since we bought it we have had some septic issues caused by the installing contractor. The first one was that the contractor installed the effluent pump on the bottom of the tank with no spacer underneath it, so the pump ended up pulling enough crap off the bottom, that it died. I replaced the pump and put a spacer (cinder block) under it the first summer we are here, so much fun, working on the septic in the summer…

The other day I noticed when the pump would kick on, I would catch a faint odor of sewer. Digging down to the diverter valve for the septic fields I found this. Look between the check valve and the diverter valve at the angle of the fitting.
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4901.jpeg

Ironically enough, this was not where it was leaking. The diverter valve had gone bad. But when removing the diverter valve, the check valve came right out of the socket there; it was never glued right from the beginning. I don’t know how it did not leak there, but it was going to eventually.

This house was built by a housing general contractor for his own family (the only reason he sold it, was his wife passed away), so I would assume he would’ve known or used a good plumber or septic company to install the septic system.

Hopefully, I am done working on the septic system for the rest of my time here, but you never now…

ETA - the first summer when I was working on it I had to rewire the junction box for the pump and alarms and run conduit between the box and the septic access - piss poor electrical wiring in that box, and direct buried cabling over to the septic tank lid where the pump connects
    Guns International

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Our house was built in 2005 and we bought it in 2018. Since we bought it we have had some septic issues caused by the installing contractor. The first one was that the contractor installed the effluent pump on the bottom of the tank with no spacer underneath it, so the pump ended up pulling enough crap off the bottom, that it died. I replaced the pump and put a spacer (cinder block) under it the first summer we are here, so much fun, working on the septic in the summer…

The other day I noticed when the pump would kick on, I would catch a faint odor of sewer. Digging down to the diverter valve for the septic fields I found this. Look between the check valve and the diverter valve at the angle of the fitting.
    View attachment 393294 View attachment 393295
    Ironically enough, this was not where it was leaking. The diverter valve had gone bad. But when removing the diverter valve, the check valve came right out of the socket there; it was never glued right from the beginning. I don’t know how it did not leak there, but it was going to eventually.

This house was built by a housing general contractor for his own family (the only reason he sold it, was his wife passed away), so I would assume he would’ve known or used a good plumber or septic company to install the septic system.

Hopefully, I am done working on the septic system for the rest of my time here, but you never now…

ETA - the first summer when I was working on it I had to rewire the junction box for the pump and alarms and run conduit between the box and the septic access - piss poor electrical wiring in that box, and direct buried cabling over to the septic tank lid where the pump connects
    I REDID MY SEWER FIELD LINES SOME YEARS AGO ALSO DUG UP THE LID TO HAVE THE SEPTIC TANK PUMPED OUT I DUG UP BECAUSE SEWER PUMPER WANTED $500 EXTRA TO LOCATE AND DIG THE LID UP ME I'M A TIGHTWAD WHEN IT COMES SPENDINDING MONEY ON THINGS I'M ABLE TO DO MYSELF!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I do better work than most contractors, and it costs much less.
    THANKFULLY MY FATHER TAUGHT US A LOT GROWING UP SO I'M CAPABLE OF DOING MANY THINGS INSTEAD OF HIRING SOMEONE TO DO THEM FOR ME!
    I hate that I'm getting to the age where it is difficult to accomplish tasks that were once easy to perform.
    A LOT OF US ARE GETTING TO THAT POINT!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I think my house was originally built to a good standard in 1973.

But everything done prior to my purchase, including an addition and renovation, was done to a half-ass standard.

I’m dumping money into it just so it stops getting worse. Hopefully that’ll be done soon so we can focus on making it more functional and attractive.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Over the years I've taught myself to become a lot more self-reliant. One of the primary ways I did that was purchasing the right tools and and equipment to get the job done. My wife balked when I bought a tractor, then a mini excavator and a skid steer, then the dump truck. But I've used every single one of those machines to build something on my property or at the house and she actually sees the value in doing your own work instead of subbing it out.

If it's installed wrong or something doesn't work I have nobody to blame except for me. There are some things that are just out of my wheelhouse and I have to hire subs for and it bugs the hell out of me.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Over the years I've taught myself to become a lot more self-reliant. One of the primary ways I did that was purchasing the right tools and and equipment to get the job done. My wife balked when I bought a tractor, then a mini excavator and a skid steer, then the dump truck. But I've used every single one of those machines to build something on my property or at the house and she actually sees the value in doing your own work instead of subbing it out.

If it's installed wrong or something doesn't work I have nobody to blame except for me. There are some things that are just out of my wheelhouse and I have to hire subs for and it bugs the hell out of me.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    SOME EQUIPMENT CAN BE SOLD AFTER WARDS TO OFF SET THEIR COST

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’ve always been somewhat mechanically inclined/comfortable working with my hands.
    leaned a LOT about home repairs and renos when i was flipping houses, and also knew what i wasn’t able to do.

But man…these days being a corporate monkey and having two little ‘uns, i don’t have the bandwidth to do literally anything at the house.

Tons of small projects are stacking up and it really weighs heavily on me.

It’s super frustrating but I’m told this, too, shall pass…

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Septic - gaah - no fun, but I've worked on a few. I pretty much do everything at our house - except for A/C. Silver soldered a broken pipe once and re-charged it. I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
    I replaced a capacitor on the A/C last year, but other than that, cleaning it is about my limits.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Well being in the Construction Business for 42 years I have always done my own plumbing and electrical work. It was always done to my code. I am finally nearing the end and it sucks that I am unable to do what I used to. No one prepares you for getting old.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I’ve always been somewhat mechanically inclined/comfortable working with my hands.
    leaned a LOT about home repairs and renos when i was flipping houses, and also knew what i wasn’t able to do.

But man…these days being a corporate monkey and having two little ‘uns, i don’t have the bandwidth to do literally anything at the house.

Tons of small projects are stacking up and it really weighs heavily on me.

It’s super frustrating but I’m told this, too, shall pass…
    From Experience always make time for yourself and family at any and all costs. You never know when it's too late and living with regrets never goes away.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

View attachment 393294 View attachment 393295

<>

Over the past 40 years, we have had to rebuild FOUR contractor shower bath installations, same reason for all four. The installer had used heavy plastic sheeting, folded at the corners, to catch leaks below the shower floors.

In EVERY one, some genius had cut the sheeting to make it fold easily, and of course, it leaked there.

Of course, the leaks didn’t show-up until long after the builder’s warranty was long-expired.

While on the subject. let me warn that those custom one-piece bath remodelers leave no way to access the plumbing once they are finished.

Thankfully, I was warned in time.

Been there. . . . . .

<>

Top Bottom