• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    Looking at buying a Trijicon TA31F for my AR-15 with a 14.5" barrel. We were beginning to be issued Trijicon optics to replace the SUSAT when I was in so I haven't had much experience with it. What's everyone's thoughts? This would be as a general purpose rifle for target shooting, home defense, SHTF scenario. Was thinking to go with the tritium over LED option.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I had one. Red chevron.
    Chevron isn't the best for precise shooting.
    Found it to be heavy and it sticks up so high it bangs into everything.
    Eye relief is very short. Didn't like this at all. On a 5.56 there isn't much recoil to worry about but on a heavier recoiling weapon it would be a No Go for me. I don't like scope eye.
    Optic quality was very good. 200yd steel was easy peasy.
    Cost is way up there now.
    The tritium is quite dim even in a new optic so do not feel cheated if yours is dim. It's done like this to keep from upsetting your night vision. It needs to be really dark to see the reticle clearly.
    After using it a while I decided I didn't like it so removed it. Eventually traded it away.

IMO, its overkill for a typical utility AR.
    Something like a SIG or Primary Arms sight works fine for 1/3 the cost.

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    I had one. Red chevron.
    Chevron isn't the best for precise shooting.
    Found it to be heavy and it sticks up so high it bangs into everything.
    Eye relief is very short. Didn't like this at all. On a 5.56 there isn't much recoil to worry about but on a heavier recoiling weapon it would be a No Go for me. I don't like scope eye.
    Optic quality was very good. 200yd steel was easy peasy.
    Cost is way up there now.
    The tritium is quite dim even in a new optic so do not feel cheated if yours is dim. It's done like this to keep from upsetting your night vision. It needs to be really dark to see the reticle clearly.
    After using it a while I decided I didn't like it so removed it. Eventually traded it away.

IMO, its overkill for a typical utility AR.
    Something like a SIG or Primary Arms sight works fine for 1/3 the cost.
    Thanks, any specific ones I should look at?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    In general, I really like the ACOG. Fantastic clarity. No complaints at all.

Chevron works just fine for me, but then my eyesight is bad and I am not trying to shoot dimes at 200 yards. Someone into fine target shooting might prefer something else.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I liove acogs, my personal favorite is the TA11, but the TA31 is good as well

The only downside to the 31 is it has a short eye relief, so i wouldn’t put it on an AR10, but if you're comfortable shooting NTCH on a 15, you're good to go. The 31 probably has the best field of view of any 4x ever made.

4x is a lot for HD, but it's still useable.

The chevron is just fine for accuracy
    Point Blur_Jan282022_172935 (1).jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I buy with the intent of handing down for generations that follow. I like the ruggedness of the ACOG. And the clarity is outstanding.

Of course, at some point the tritium vials will have to be replaced. But that is not a big deal.

Willing to pay a bit more with this in mind. But that is a personal thing.

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    I buy with the intent of handing down for generations that follow. I like the ruggedness of the ACOG. And the clarity is outstanding.

Of course, at some point the tritium vials will have to be replaced. But that is not a big deal.

Willing to pay a bit more with this in mind. But that is a personal thing.
    I feel the same way, this would be my SHTF weapon where a sight failing is not an option so having something rock solid and battle proven would be worth paying for.

I didn't realize the tritium could be replaced? That's the one hang up I had is buying a new $1000 scope every ten years seemed steep. If it's replaceable then I'm more inclined to go for it.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I feel the same way, this would be my SHTF weapon where a sight failing is not an option so having something rock solid and battle proven would be worth paying for.

I didn't realize the tritium could be replaced? That's the one hang up I had is buying a new $1000 scope every ten years seemed steep. If it's replaceable then I'm more inclined to go for it.
    Its a few hundred to have trijicon replace the lamps iirc

Total decay takes close to 15 years, even then its an etched reticle and you have the fibre optic still

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Your thinking about the old British surplus Trilux, or SUSAT scope that replacement was not an option.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Its a few hundred to have trijicon replace the lamps iirc

Total decay takes close to 15 years, even then its an etched reticle and you have the fibre optic still
    Just got my TA01NSN back from a refurb.

They replaced a scratched lens, a worn out erector and the tritiums for the iron sight on top and the internal illumination all a few hundred bucks. Now its ready for another 12-15y.

Don't forget they work without the tritium...

$1000 up front then a few hundred every decade to have a rock-solid, cave-man proof optic is a win in my book.

I like the cross hair models over the chevron, and use my 5.56 version on my 14.5" (shooting 77g match ammo) for both work and my run-and-gun matches where it rattles around in a patrol car or gets used in dust, rain, goes swimming etc and gets rounds on targets from up close to 600+ yds.

My critics:
    The irons on a TA01NSN are honestly a joke, by the time I am close enough to maybe want to use them instead of looking through the scope, I am close enough to just point the gun... I'd consider a RMR on top but then its getting really tall and going to get bashed around a lot and still never get used.

Wind holds for precision shots at longer ranges are more difficult to repeat without a Christmas tree of dots, but as a combat (i.e. not a sniper optic) its not really a problem and with practice its still a very workable optic out to an AR's maximum effect range.

Conclusion:
    ACOGs are great optics and I highly recommend it as a combat optic, but like all things there are some trade offs (4x limits LR ID, but more x is heavy and limits SR). Know your tool's abilities and limits as well as your own and make them work together and you'll be effective with almost anything you choose.
    311d1890141c16568a8b0917c501bfb1.jpg
    11e667e0c281603583e22d95aacdacf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Top Bottom