• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    Just got my TA01NSN back from a refurb.

They replaced a scratched lens, a worn out erector and the tritiums for the iron sight on top and the internal illumination all a few hundred bucks. Now its ready for another 12-15y.

Don't forget they work without the tritium...

$1000 up front then a few hundred every decade to have a rock-solid, cave-man proof optic is a win in my book.

I like the cross hair models over the chevron, and use my 5.56 version on my 14.5" (shooting 77g match ammo) for both work and my run-and-gun matches where it rattles around in a patrol car or gets used in dust, rain, goes swimming etc and gets rounds on targets from up close to 600+ yds.

My critics:
    The irons on a TA01NSN are honestly a joke, by the time I am close enough to maybe want to use them instead of looking through the scope, I am close enough to just point the gun... I'd consider a RMR on top but then its getting really tall and going to get bashed around a lot and still never get used.

Wind holds for precision shots at longer ranges are more difficult to repeat without a Christmas tree of dots, but as a combat (i.e. not a sniper optic) its not really a problem and with practice its still a very workable optic out to an AR's maximum effect range.

Conclusion:
    ACOGs are great optics and I highly recommend it as a combat optic, but like all things there are some trade offs (4x limits LR ID, but more x is heavy and limits SR). Know your tool's abilities and limits as well as your own and make them work together and you'll be effective with almost anything you choose.
    311d1890141c16568a8b0917c501bfb1.jpg
    11e667e0c281603583e22d95aacdacf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that.

Eventually I'm looking for enough to equip a section, and I'm very interested to see how the Sig MCX Spear works out given the more powerful round - the 5.56 always felt weak, especially at range, a lot of my friends complained about it when they were deployed in Afghanistan. For the time being I'm sticking with an AR-15.

The reason I'm saying this is while I've always liked the ACOG I'm wondering if there's any passive optics that are better as a general combat sight? I know that's quite a subjective question but before dropping money on a TA11 or TA31 I thought I'd ask.

My experience is mainly with irons, SUSAT, typical longer range rifle optics on bolt actions.
    Texas SOT

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks for that.

Eventually I'm looking for enough to equip a section, and I'm very interested to see how the Sig MCX Spear works out given the more powerful round - the 5.56 always felt weak, especially at range, a lot of my friends complained about it when they were deployed in Afghanistan. For the time being I'm sticking with an AR-15.

The reason I'm saying this is while I've always liked the ACOG I'm wondering if there's any passive optics that are better as a general combat sight? I know that's quite a subjective question but before dropping money on a TA11 or TA31 I thought I'd ask.

My experience is mainly with irons, SUSAT, typical longer range rifle optics on bolt actions.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy (which i am), the acog is the most proven combat optic in the world, with aimpoints a close second.

Acogs aren't cheap, but still have unparalleled glass quality that you're not going to touch until you get into the $2500 range, or decide to jump to a VCOG.

Everyone likes to joke about "military grade", and how it can mean literally anything, but it's gotta be something special if its able to stick around for over 30 years, 20 of which involved combat use.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for that.

Consider a PA prism if you're on a budget. Chevron, but small and compact.

I've never shot one, but I've heard good things and like my 1-8x PA

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The issue i have woth the PA prisims is that the reticles are just awful. Busy where they shouldn't be, too simple where they shouldn't be. Some parts are too small, others too big.

Its odd that PA's acss reticle is one of the best ever put in an ACOG, yet PA only have that reticle in a 1-6 last time i checked.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Consider a PA prism if you're on a budget. Chevron, but small and compact.

I've never shot one, but I've heard good things and like my 1-8x PA

I'm gonna get stoned by the fanboys but the PA micro prisms are pretty f'n good. I'm not saying they are "just as good". If you want the combat proven optic, go with ACOG. I have Trijicons and Eotechs on my defensive guns but the PA's are fine for 90% of the rest of the time and at a fraction of the cost.

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    At the risk of sounding like a fanboy (which i am), the acog is the most proven combat optic in the world, with aimpoints a close second.

Acogs aren't cheap, but still have unparalleled glass quality that you're not going to touch until you get into the $2500 range, or decide to jump to a VCOG.

Everyone likes to joke about "military grade", and how it can mean literally anything, but it's gotta be something special if its able to stick around for over 30 years, 20 of which involved combat use.

That's been my thinking too, it's a solid, combat proven design

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    Just received my TA11F. Really pleased with it, the eye relief is huge. To the point where I'm wondering if I would've been fine with the TA31F. Had no issues dialing it in at 100 yards - I now need to find somewhere to shoot near Austin that goes out futher.

Thanks for all the feedback on picking the TA11 over the TA31, I think it was the right choice.

Attachments

• IMG_4355.jpeg
      IMG_4355.jpeg
      329.3 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_4356.jpeg
      IMG_4356.jpeg
      197.8 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_4364.jpeg
      IMG_4364.jpeg
      398.7 KB · Views: 14
    Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Just received my TA11F. Really pleased with it, the eye relief is huge. To the point where I'm wondering if I would've been fine with the TA31F. Had no issues dialing it in at 100 yards - I now need to find somewhere to shoot near Austin that goes out futher.

Thanks for all the feedback on picking the TA11 over the TA31, I think it was the right choice.

Unless you like running the stock that far out, the TA11 should be good for having the optic mount flush with the end of the upper and the stock 2-3 clicks out

20240115_231112.jpg

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    Unless you like running the stock that far out, the TA11 should be good for having the optic mount flush with the end of the upper and the stock 2-3 clicks out

View attachment 442542

I’m 6’3” so with my long arms I prefer having the stock fully extended. I did bump the scope forward a bit after this photo was taken and added a vertical foregrip.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom