DK Firearms

'Tong' / Plier type hand loading tools...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    AFAIK, Lyman is the only one who has made them during the last several decades. They have discontinued them due to low demand, but the dies still come up for sale frequently. If you're interested, I have a set of the small (pistol) handles that I would be willing to sell. PM me if interested.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Lyman 310 tool.
    You will have to find the die set on the secondary market.
    Ebay typically has a bunch of items available.
    Using a 310 tool is labor intensive and very time consuming.
    It helps a lot to have several handles set up as you change process steps.
    I do not recommend the 310 for anything but short length pistol rounds.
    Your hand and grip strength will get a workout.
    You will need to use sizing lube.
    The deprimer is a pain. A simple deprime rod like Lee makes works better.
    You will also need to length measure and trim cases. The Lee cutter ball will work. You’ll need the appropriate pilot.
    The 310 handles come in a short and long version. For small pistol rounds you’ll want a Short.
    The very old 310’s are all steel. Very heavy. The modern ones are aluminum. Go aluminum.
    Have fun.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have an Ideal set in 22 hornet which I no longer need, I still use the Winchester saddle tools in 25-20 and 32-20/
    The guy who said stick to smaller pistol rounds is spot on and any attempt at high pressure loads will be very frustrating.I may have a 30-06 Lyman 310 set of dies...never succeeded in loading a single round with them/
    I had an old Ideal solid tool in 38 S&W, it worked fine

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I have Lyman 3102 in several calibers. The rifle dies are a pain, BUT you can make good rounds. What works well is to just neck size the case if you are using a bolt gun and keep the brass to that rifle. When the 310s were used a lot, bullets wee mostly lead so getting them into the case was somewhat easier than jackets bullets. 30-06 cases are a pain. 30-30 22-250, 257 Roberts are not too bad.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Coyote9... i would be interested in the 22 hornet ideal set. pm me please. pics, price, etc. tks

Last edited:

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Anyone still make them?

If not what might be the best brand to buy used, in order to obtain dies for 38s&w and 32 Colt?
    You can find 38 S&W brass. And Lee makes a carbide die set for it. They are available on line. Lee #90569

A Lee hand press might be your solution for portable. I use one when on range reloading to tune loads.

I have an original Remington box with 38 rounds, unfired. Heaven knows how old it is.

Starline Brass still makes 38 S&W brass and has some in stock.

#3920 - 38 S&W Brass (Small Pistol primer)

But their minimum order is pretty high. I'm sure one of their distributors will have them.

I have respect for old weapons. Have several that I will never shoot but will keep.

Good luck.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have an Ideal set in 22 hornet which I no longer need, I still use the Winchester saddle tools in 25-20 and 32-20/
    The guy who said stick to smaller pistol rounds is spot on and any attempt at high pressure loads will be very frustrating.I may have a 30-06 Lyman 310 set of dies...never succeeded in loading a single round with them/
    I had an old Ideal solid tool in 38 S&W, it worked fine
    I can't locate the 22 Hornet, did find the complete 30-06 with re sizer and a 218 Bee complete set

Attachments

• 218 Bee lyman dies.jpg
      218 Bee lyman dies.jpg
      322.4 KB · Views: 8
    • 3006 lyman dies.jpg
      3006 lyman dies.jpg
      288.4 KB · Views: 7

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You can find 38 S&W brass. And Lee makes a carbide die set for it. They are available on line. Lee #90569

A Lee hand press might be your solution for portable. I use one when on range reloading to tune loads.

I have an original Remington box with 38 rounds, unfired. Heaven knows how old it is.

But their minimum order is pretty high. I'm sure one of their distributors will have them.

I have respect for old weapons. Have several that I will never shoot but will keep.

Good luck.

Good luck.
    Thanks. Somewhat surprisingly our local Gibsons seems to have a decent supply of 'old school' ammo, so...as long as I remember to save the brass - I should have a few around.

Attachments

• 20240407_110228.jpg
      20240407_110228.jpg
      387.3 KB · Views: 8
    Top Bottom