• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    How many of this group would even be aware of the eclipse if media were not making it an event?

Well, the ones in the path of it would probably notice when it gets dark outside in the middle of the afternoon...

But yes, I would. Because I'm actually interested in science and astronomy and have managed to keep a sense of wonder about the world and universe around me as an adult. Some of the comments here just make me feel pity for those who don't have that curiosity.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Well, the ones in the path of it would probably notice when it gets dark outside in the middle of the afternoon...

But yes, I would. Because I'm actually interested in science and astronomy and have managed to keep a sense of wonder about the world and universe around me as an adult. Some of the comments here just make me feel pity for those who don't have that curiosity.
    Your interests in science and astronomy is much different than those referred to, above in #116, who know little of the universe surrounding them. Most had no knowledge of the event before it received media coverage.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Your interests in science and astronomy is much different than those referred to, above in #116, who know little of the universe surrounding them. Most had no knowledge of the event before it received media coverage.

Isn't the media coverage a good thing though? Do we really need thousands and thousands of oblivious people being taken by surprise? The car wrecks alone would be overwhelming for emergency services, and the 911 lines would be jammed with people in a panic.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Personally, I’m happy when the media makes a big deal out of astronomical events. I enjoy it and it’s amazing what’s going on outside of our little blue sphere.

I love it when something happens than can introduce others and open the door for them. Most will move on, a few might decide to look through a telescope and be get the sense of awe the first time they actually see the rings of Saturn, clouds of Jupiters, or Orion Nebula. Things that remind you just how small you are in the universe.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Personally, I’m happy when the media makes a big deal out of astronomical events. I enjoy it and it’s amazing what’s going on outside of our little blue sphere.

I love it when something happens than can introduce others and open the door for them. Most will move on, a few might decide to look through a telescope and be get the sense of awe the first time they actually see the rings of Saturn, clouds of Jupiters, or Orion Nebula. Things that remind you just how small you are in the universe.

Ah, another "quartz clutching hippie" apparently. Welcome, brother. We reach.

1711723318969.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ah, another "quartz clutching hippie" apparently. Welcome, brother. We reach.

View attachment 443652
    My goal is to someday have a small observatory behind the house with a 16-18” Go-To.

For now I work with a 10” Dob. I had a choice of computerized or mirror size and chose the mirror. But I gotta admit, it’s pretty awesome to find something on my own and it’s great when kids can just push it around and look at anything they want without fear.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    My goal is to someday have a small observatory behind the house with a 16-18” Go-To.

For now I work with a 10” Dob. I had a choice of computerized or mirror size and chose the mirror. But I gotta admit, it’s pretty awesome to find something on my own and it’s great when kids can just push it around and look at anything they want without fear.
    You must live out in the country. I enjoyed the telescope I had before it got too lit up around my house. I would pack it up and go to a park at night before I sold it. Many mornings pre dawn I was out observing the stars. One thing I wanted to do was get a picture of the ISS crossing the moon, never happened.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You must live out in the country. I enjoyed the telescope I had before it got too lit up around my house. I would pack it up and go to a park at night before I sold it. Many mornings pre dawn I was out observing the stars. One thing I wanted to do was get a picture of the ISS crossing the moon, never happened.
    I have some trouble to the north from the D/FW sky glow. It’s annoying that I can never really get a good view of Andromeda, it’s always a little washed out. But overhead and southeastern views aren’t bad. West doesn’t have much light pollution either. Nothing like a good dark site though.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

So....the wheels of industry must stop to let a bunch of quartz clutching hippies look at te moon, awesome :(

This is the impact were I live...

8 April 2024 Eclipse (Monday)
    Local Time is UT -5 hrs

Start of Partial Eclipse (C1): 12:14 pm
    Start of Total Eclipse (C2): 1:32pm
    Maximum Eclipse (MAX) 1:34pm
    End of Total Eclipse (C3): 1:35pm
    End of Partial Elipse (C4): 2:55pm

Duration: 2 hrs, 41 mins
    Totality: 3 min

So they are shutting down transportation of good for 24 hours for an event that's less than three and total darkness lasting no more than a couple of minutes?!?

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Kerrville seems to be ground zero.
    Estimates are well over 100k visitors
    That’s s lot for a town of 25k to handle.
    It will be total gridlock me thinks.
    The county has already declared an emergency.
    They are telling citizens to be sure to stock up on food and fuel up vehicles ahead of next weekend.
    Schools , businesses, and the like will be closed.
    Sheesh!

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Be aware that the Hill Country will be inundated with tourists come April. Here is the note I got from the Medina County Texas Emergency Office yesterday:

Medina County Office of Emergency Management issued this morning 3/29/2024: There are a few things that residents of Medina County can do to prepare for the possibility of a large number of visitors coming in for the Total Eclipse on April 8th. There is a possibility that we could see a record number of visitors and that could draw upon our resources locally.

For example, if we have an extremely large number of visitors, then there will be more vehicles on the roadways which will impact driving conditions. Try to plan in advance to do the things you put off until the weekend so that you are less likely to be stuck in traffic.

Do your grocery shopping and pick up the things you will need for family, children, and pets a couple of days before the weekend. Additionally, there will be more vehicles that are fueling up in Medina County. Therefore, it would be wise for residents to insure that your vehicles have sufficient fuel to get you through Friday, April 5th, until Tuesday, April 9th.

However, we want to caution you against completely fueling every vehicle and gas can you own because that can create a situation where local gas stations will have reduced fuel available during this time. Across the State there have been instances where out of fear people have panicked and that resulted in human-created shortages. So, it would be a good idea to make sure you have sufficient fuel a day or two before that will last through the entire weekend.

Another thing to consider is that it is possible for cellular communications to be impacted due to the volume of people and that could mean times when making a call may be difficult. Text messages will normally go through when calls won’t; so utilize texting when possible.

Let your family and friends know in advance where you plan to be during this time in case they can’t get through to you. The good thing is that we all have time to get the things done in advance that can make this less stressful. Please consider what you can do to be prepared and try to enjoy this historical event!

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Redundant threads merged.
    Thanks... missed original. Thought the note from the Medina County Emergency Management Center would be a good way to panic everyone to head to the store and stock up on bottled water, milk and toilet paper and then take all your gas cans and get them filled! Panic anyone?

Top Bottom