• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What I need to know is if I found a bumpstock in my closet, which I thought I had destroyed. Would I be in the clear?

Asking for a friend or a friend of course...

In all seriousness, never had had a bump stock and don't want one, but F the ATF for all their infringements.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Somewhat related:

The Supreme Court declined on Wednesday to block enforcement of new gun regulations New York state enacted in July after the justices ruled a previous state law requiring individuals to demonstrate “proper cause” to obtain concealed-weapons permits violated the Second Amendment.

And before anyone reacts:

he Supreme Court’s order denying that request provided no explanation, as is typical. In a separate statement, Justice Samuel Alito, joined by Justice Clarence Thomas, noted that the Second Circuit had provided no explanation for its decision to leave the law in force during the appeal.

The gun owners “should not be deterred by today’s order from again seeking relief if the Second Circuit does not, within a reasonable time, provide an explanation for its stay order or expedite consideration of the appeal,” Justice Alito wrote.

The Supreme Court doesn’t ordinarily intervene in cases before lower-court litigation concludes, and the action might not be the justices’ final word on the matter. After the Second Circuit makes its decision, the losing side could appeal to the Supreme Court.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    But it will have no effect on the brace issue. ATF/Gov won't give up that easy.

And the bumpstock issue will have to go to SCOTUS. I suspect SCOTUS will uphold the Fifth Circuit's ruling.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And the bumpstock issue will have to go to SCOTUS. I suspect SCOTUS will uphold the Fifth Circuit's ruling.
    No, SCOTUS will not uphold this ruling. The ATF is not appealing. They're looking for a better case (better for them, of course) to take to SCOTUS. In the near term, this is a huge delaying tactic.

In the long term, it means getting this finally sorted will take a long damn time.

For now, only residents of Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi benefit from the decision. The benefit is pretty illusory, though. I certainly wouldn't want to be the first person to show up at the range with my bumpstock...that I 3D printed from design files gotten from the internet. Of course.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    No, SCOTUS will not uphold this ruling. The ATF is not appealing. They're looking for a better case (better for them, of course) to take to SCOTUS. In the near term, this is a huge delaying tactic.

In the long term, it means getting this finally sorted will take a long damn time.

For now, only residents of Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi benefit from the decision. The benefit is pretty illusory, though. I certainly wouldn't want to be the first person to show up at the range with my bumpstock...that I 3D printed from design files gotten from the internet. Of course.
    I believe it will go to SCOTUS. Those who lost in the other circuits (which denied bumpstocks) will appeal. The ATF would have to drop the rule to avoid going to SCOTUS.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I believe it will go to SCOTUS. Those who lost in the other circuits (which denied bumpstocks) will appeal. The ATF would have to drop the rule to avoid going to SCOTUS.
    Those who lost in the other circuits have already appealed to SCOTUS and been denied.

Besides, the losses in other circuits weren't incompatible with the legal questions in the Fifth Circuit. The losses in the other circuits were based on different issues (takings and reasonableness, IIRC) so there's no conflict between circuits. Until there is, I think SCOTUS will stay hands-off.

Fifth Circuit decided in Cargill that ATF couldn't run roughshod over established administrative procedure to create new felonies; only Congress can do that. Stated another way, Congress writes the United States Code and agencies write the Code of Federal Regulations in accordance with the US Code. The ATF has created a situation where the CFR disagrees with the USC. That's not supposed to happen.

On that basis, the Fifth Circuit reversed the lower court ruling. No other court has addressed that question in that way. If the ATF doesn't appeal, the whole thing drops out of sight until another circuit disagrees with the Fifth or Congress passes legislation to change the wording of the NFA to somehow include bumpstocks.

I'm sure another circuit will eventually disagree and SCOTUS will finally hear arguments about bumpstocks. It's just going to take a long time to start another case based on Cargill that will lose all the way through another circuit. Then we'll have a disagreement between circuits that SCOTUS should address.

The bumpstock ban was ~5 years ago. It will take years more to reach a final resolution.

I guess I'm just seeing this as a glass half-empty situation. I'll take it but I'm not close to being ready to celebrate.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Those who lost in the other circuits have already appealed to SCOTUS and been denied.

Besides, the losses in other circuits weren't incompatible with the legal questions in the Fifth Circuit. The losses in the other circuits were based on different issues (takings and reasonableness, IIRC) so there's no conflict between circuits. Until there is, I think SCOTUS will stay hands-off.

Fifth Circuit decided in Cargill that ATF couldn't run roughshod over established administrative procedure to create new felonies; only Congress can do that. Stated another way, Congress writes the United States Code and agencies write the Code of Federal Regulations in accordance with the US Code. The ATF has created a situation where the CFR disagrees with the USC. That's not supposed to happen.

On that basis, the Fifth Circuit reversed the lower court ruling. No other court has addressed that question in that way. If the ATF doesn't appeal, the whole thing drops out of sight until another circuit disagrees with the Fifth or Congress passes legislation to change the wording of the NFA to somehow include bumpstocks.

I'm sure another circuit will eventually disagree and SCOTUS will finally hear arguments about bumpstocks. It's just going to take a long time to start another case based on Cargill that will lose all the way through another circuit. Then we'll have a disagreement between circuits that SCOTUS should address.

The bumpstock ban was ~5 years ago. It will take years more to reach a final resolution.

I guess I'm just seeing this as a glass half-empty situation. I'll take it but I'm not close to being ready to celebrate.
    Agree it will be a long time in reaching resolution.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I never missed the contraption and didn't care for it when it was first introduced. I can't be the only one here. Or??????.

It never mattered to me one way or the other. What did matter was a felony being created out of thin air, independent of any actual legislated law. Even if that new felony had nothing to do with me, if it's allowed to stand the next one might. Bump stocks one day, why not magazine capacity the next? Or scary looking rifles? Creating law via executive order and through a federal agency is unconstitutional and there's no good reason to turn a blind eye to it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom