• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have a newer trailer with the grease zerk style axles. This is my first time with these axles. Went to the local trailer place, the guy said do not use a grease gun and the trailer manufacturers don’t tell ya I need to manually pack the bearing sets on each axle and then a couple of squirts once I have it all back together. Otherwise I’ll burn up the axles!!! Seems like a lot of work.

Is this true? Or is this old guy one of these old fudds that thinks revolvers and or a 1911 are the only things you need? I get the feeling it’s one of those issues.

He also sold me a tube of mystic jt-6 mp grease 2 nlgi calcium based for heavy duty slow to medium speed bearing applications.

So what do I do? Hell if I had known that I would have settled for the old style axle.
    Guns International

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I have a newer trailer with the grease zerk style axles. This is my first time with these axles. Went to the local trailer place, the guy said do not use a grease gun and the trailer manufacturers don’t tell ya I need to manually pack the bearing sets on each axle and then a couple of squirts once I have it all back together. Otherwise I’ll burn up the axles!!! Seems like a lot of work.

Is this true? Or is this old guy one of these old fudds that thinks revolvers and or a 1911 are the only things you need? I get the feeling it’s one of those issues.

He also sold me a tube of mystic jt-6 mp grease 2 nlgi calcium based for heavy duty slow to medium speed bearing applications.

So what do I do? Hell if I had known that I would have settled for the old style axle.
    I worked on alot of different aircraft for quite a long time, and if it's anything similar to that, the zerk grease fittings are just for minor maintaining. You still hand pack the grease.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Are they like Buddy Hubs?

If so, then it’s like what’s said above. When you assemble you have to pack the bearings. Afterwards you have an easy maintenance system allowing you to maintain the greased bearing instead of having to remove and pack them from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Are they like Buddy Hubs?

If so, then it’s like what’s said above. When you assemble you have to pack the bearings. Afterwards you have an easy maintenance system allowing you to maintain the greased bearing instead of having to remove and pack them from time to time.

I would still highly recommend disassembly every few years and repack the bearings and then regrease through the zerk fittings after assembly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Go to their website. See what they say.

My current trailer has Dexter axles and came with a book for them. Add a few pumps every 12k miles or year, which ever comes first.

Like most grease zerk parts, just two or three good pumps. Don't try to fill it up or you will blow out the seals.

Not that it doesn't happen but I have never bought anything with a dry bearing that needed immediate attention. Of course new uninstalled bearings are a different story.

Most dealers I have talked to don't like Bearing Buddies either. They do exactly what they are supposed to do but most owners think they never need maintenance. That just isn't the case.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Could always go with oil filled and never look back.

Because if you look back you’ll see them leaking.

Top Bottom