• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know I'll catch some flack here, but this is really only an issue with Glocks and similar pistols. Hammer, long trigger pull. You usually are good to go. Consider this for your CCW if you constantly are holstering, unholstering, carrying without a holster, dinking around with it trying to hide it in your car... Just don't be careless.

I have seen a documented case of either an LCP or a J frame pocket carried without a holster, in which a pen in the guy's pocket worked it's way through the trigger guard, he moved just right, and discharged the gun in his pocket. A gun is a gun. Even though a longer, heavier pull might make it less likely, it can still happen if the safety rules are ignored. Hope this doesn't sound like a rant, as I don't mean it that way. Just saying.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Never in the 10 years carrying have I worried about a ND while unholstering or reholstering in my vehicle. I do it every day 2 times a day. When I get to work and when I leave. Practice sound safety and don't allow yourself to become complacent.

Edit: I also have a small safe that I store my gun in. It is usually strapped around the seat, but my new vehicle is lacking in space under the seat. So I lock it up in the safe and put it in the glovebox. Still looking to buy a center consol vault and hack it up to get the door and locking mechanism and basic design to make my own. Noone makes one for my vehicle...

Also... springfield xd45 compact for reference.

Last edited:

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I have seen a documented case of either an LCP or a J frame pocket carried without a holster, in which a pen in the guy's pocket worked it's way through the trigger guard, he moved just right, and discharged the gun in his pocket. A gun is a gun. Even though a longer, heavier pull might make it less likely, it can still happen if the safety rules are ignored. Hope this doesn't sound like a rant, as I don't mean it that way. Just saying.

That example did take some extraordinary circumstances, though. Not normal holstering and unholstering where guys Glocks have been known to go off by just slightly getting snagged on some deformity in the holster or on a piece of clothing. I know, can happen to any handgun. But the majority of the cases are with....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Never in the 10 years carrying have I worried about a ND while unholstering or reholstering in my vehicle. I do it every day 2 times a day. When I get to work and when I leave. Practice sound safety and don't allow yourself to become complacent.

Edit: I also have a small safe that I store my gun in. It is usually strapped around the seat, but my new vehicle is lacking in space under the seat. So I lock it up in the safe and put it in the glovebox. Still looking to buy a center consol vault and hack it up to get the door and locking mechanism and basic design to make my own. Noone makes one for my vehicle...

Also... springfield xd45 compact for reference.

I keep most of my guns loaded and I'm very used to handling them loaded. Just the same, every time I'm fiddling with one, I'm always cognizant of the chance I'm going to have an ND.

Then again, having one might just do that to you.

garodrig1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Austin
    I appreciate all the response, some are very thoughtful. I carry with a comptac holster, which is harder to place somewhere in my tiny corolla. That's why I unholster. I of course follow the safety rules, but the mere fact of handling the pistol increases the risk, however miniscule of having something go wrong. I agree with the idea to take great precaution when doing the holstering. One issue I encounter is that when I return to the car at night and take the Glock from my center console, it can be hard see the comptac holster. If I turn on the dome light, that lights me up like a Christmas tree and that would draw attention that I don't need. In any case, I think I will try my best to be discrete about it.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Surefire makes a keychain light for $10-$15. The battery lasts forever. Try looking into one of those.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I appreciate all the response, some are very thoughtful. I carry with a comptac holster, which is harder to place somewhere in my tiny corolla. That's why I unholster. I of course follow the safety rules, but the mere fact of handling the pistol increases the risk, however miniscule of having something go wrong. I agree with the idea to take great precaution when doing the holstering. One issue I encounter is that when I return to the car at night and take the Glock from my center console, it can be hard see the comptac holster. If I turn on the dome light, that lights me up like a Christmas tree and that would draw attention that I don't need. In any case, I think I will try my best to be discrete about it.
    look just git rid o da glock get a 1911 ( da best handgun in the world btw) and prob solved!!!!!
    Bwhaaaaaa!!! I say this from first hand knowledge a nd can happen to anyone,

As told and taught(first hand) the best saftey is between your ears.
    Think, and be careful, i drive a big truck i sometimes holster and unholster
    2-8 times a day. But before i do i always think about what i doing.
    Even in the dark you learn touch feel touch it feel it then grab. But for me, where you store
    Your weapon must be free of anything that can cause a nd

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That example did take some extraordinary circumstances, though. Not normal holstering and unholstering where guys Glocks have been known to go off by just slightly getting snagged on some deformity in the holster or on a piece of clothing. I know, can happen to any handgun. But the majority of the cases are with....

In the majority of cases I've seen, regardless of the gun being used, and even when it's "Glocks", there is almost always negligence and a lack of attention. If people are unholstering or holstering their gun, they need to be paying attention to what they're doing. If holstering, they should be aware of their holster, if any clothing is getting caught in it and might become a safety issue, if it's a leather holster or other type of thin holster that is worn out and collapsed, etc. That's not the fault of the gun, but inattention by the individual. I have also not seen a single verified statistic that shows with any degree of accuracy that one particular type of gun is most frequently found in these cases.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    I'm really surprised that people have to so fervently concentrate on NOT pulling a trigger. Something which in and of itself requires a particularly intentional fine-motor-movement. Whether you take the gun out of the holster or not, just don't touch the trigger unless you're about to shoot whatever is in front of the barrel. Problem solved.

But for what it's worth, I use a remora IWB holster that I can just pull out easily. No clips needed. I like them because of that and because they do a good job of protecting the gun as well.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Its more complicated than that.

Sticking a gun into an IWB holster in a car while wearing a coat in the dark; you are given lots of chances for things other than your finger to actuate the trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I don't think any of us have our fingers anywhere near the trigger. That doesn't give us reason to just slap it in and yank it out.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Do people really have a bunch of stick-like objects in the car between the drivers seat and the center console or glove compartment? I'd think that people who are intelligent and responsible enough to carry can also navigate the space in their vehicles without catching their trigger on some unknown object.

Then again I know there's lots if stupid out there, including those that carry. Does someone know a real-life example of an unintentional discharge that was caused by something fully depressing trigger other than a finger? Most unintentional discharges I hear of are people pulling the trigger negligently.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Do people really have a bunch of stick-like objects in the car between the drivers seat and the center console or glove compartment? I'd think that people who are intelligent and responsible enough to carry can also navigate the space in their vehicles without catching their trigger on some unknown object.

Then again I know there's lots if stupid out there, including those that carry. Does someone know a real-life example of an unintentional discharge that was caused by something fully depressing trigger other than a finger? Most unintentional discharges I hear of are people pulling the trigger negligently.

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges! : ITS Tactical

That's why I don't recommend most commonly available leather holsters ("common", as in places like Cabela's or Academy regularly stock them), as they're usually of poor build quality and design. Stuff like cheapo $20-30 yaqui slide style holsters or soft leather IWB holsters. They're really not any better than cheapo, nylon, one-size-fits-all holsters.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    SIG-I'm in the market for a good M&P IWB holster. Have any recommendations? I'm using a Galco for my 1911 but am open to replacing it as well.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm carrying in a pretty inexpensive DeSantis Pro Stealth that over time has molded itself to the shape of the gun, to the point of having a little retention. No risk of anything getting into the trigger guard. We'll see if this continues to hold true as time goes by.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    SIG-I'm in the market for a good M&P IWB holster. Have any recommendations? I'm using a Galco for my 1911 but am open to replacing it as well.

What is your carry position, and what preferences of any type do you have (straight drop, 15 deg cant, sweat guard or not, etc.)? I can certainly recommend plenty of good quality reinforced leather or kydex holsters.

Top Bottom