• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    I recently was able to find some bottles of Unique powder. Been looking for a long time. Now I find that in my Lee Manual there is almost no recipes for 9mm Lugar and Unique. I am very disappointed since I really like the Lee Modern Reloading Manual. So then I go online to the Alliant website and pull up some 9mm info. They list the charge weight for a load using Unique. But it doesn't say if it is the min or max load. Just the one wt. I have sent them a question but why would they not have that info on their site? Sorry for the rambling, guess I am just venting.
    Lynx Defense

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Just checked my ancient manuals. Unique info in all of them. This one is some deal someone used to sell at gun shows. I think they pirated tables from everywhere else

Attachments

• IMG_6554.jpeg
      IMG_6554.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 43
    • IMG_6555.jpeg
      IMG_6555.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 43

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    What grain bullet? I use 124 grain blue bullet with 3.5gr to 4.3gr showing in one of my manuals. Another shows 4.5gr to 5gr. Funny thing is they are the same manual just different additions. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my glocks with 4.7gr of Unique and never had a single problem.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Just curious, why were you specifically looking for Unique powder if you don't already have a load for it? Assuming you use it for other calibers already?

alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    What grain bullet? I use 124 grain blue bullet with 3.5gr to 4.3gr showing in one of my manuals. Another shows 4.5gr to 5gr. Funny thing is they are the same manual just different additions. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my glocks with 4.7gr of Unique and never had a single problem.
    124g Berrys hybrid HP. They say
    • Cast or jacketed data with the same grain weight and profile will work with our bullets.
    • I also use Missouri Bullets 115g RN coated lead bullets

alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    Just curious, why were you specifically looking for Unique powder if you don't already have a load for it? Assuming you use it for other calibers already?
    I learned with Unique years ago and have not reloaded for a long time. Getting back to it but my formulas have vanished. So starting over so to speak. Good question.

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    In my Speer #14 manual there are no listings for 115g lead bullets just GDHP or TMJ RN.
    In my Lyman 49th ed. Unique is shown only for 147g TMJ. That's all.

Alan
    Strange. In my Lyman 49th ed Unique is shown on pages 341 and 342 for every 9mm load except 120gr #2 alloy.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have some unique but it's set aside for colt45 loads. It shines in that caliber. Always seemed too sooty in everything else I put it in. I gravitate to titegroup for the 9mm. Loads over 1500 rounds per pound. Feel like I get my money's worth with it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have some unique but it's set aside for colt45 loads. It shines in that caliber. Always seemed too sooty in everything else I put it in. I gravitate to titegroup for the 9mm. Loads over 1500 rounds per pound. Feel like I get my money's worth with it.

You should try Nitro100 for 45 Colt.

Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    1708928826674.jpeg

When I loaded 9mm to 124gr NATO (hot) specs w/Unique, I noticed I got (extra) unburnt powder flakes in the air...
    Backed the charge off a bit, and all was well...

Unique was the first pistol powder I ever bought.
    Chasing velocity seems silly, now.

mkupka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2016
    Same here on TiteGroup. I use it for 9mm, 45ACP and 300BLK.

300BLK 6.0 great TiteGroup with Berry's 220gr plated bullets.

AVG 984fps
    ES. 6fps
    STD. 2fps

Screenshot_20240323_163933_Digital Link.jpg

Screenshot_20240323_163925_Digital Link.jpg

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Unique is an old powder and used to be extremely common. Most people moved to other powders because the original version of Unique burned extremely dirty. (In fact, I've seen it referred to as "burning dirt".) A decade or so ago they changed the formula and it's supposed to be a lot cleaner.

When a manufacturer lists only one load, they usually mean that to be the max load and expect a reloader to start 10% below that. This defies human nature. Give someone a choice of potential loads and they will start with the highest one - and wonder if they can push that a bit.

If you can catch a new reloader in a moment of sanity, work to convince him to load for accuracy, not for velocity.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I switched from Unique to AA powders in the early 2000s doe to how dirty it burned. But some still like to shoot it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I shoot a lot of Unique in lower power level cowboy loads w/cast bullets.
    It shoots filthy.
    Add in some homemade lube I'm using and you get smoke almost as bad as blackpowder.
    IMO, for cleaner results you need to load Unique up near max load for cleanest burn.
    The lower power level stuff doesn't cause brass expansion enough to get chamber seal with resulting blow back along the case/chamber walls. This is why it fouls up a gun.
    Its just something you learn to live with when using the powder.
    A better powder for auto calibers is Power Pistol.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom