• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I saw @jar 's thread on the .32 ACP and it reminded me of an informal and unofficial test we did lately. Not many people carry the .32 any more. I am a fan of the .32 ACP as well as the .32 S&W, and I have a Baby Browning in .25 ACP.

Over the last few weeks we have done a very informal penetration test. We have used handguns in calibers that are not the first choice for carry for most people. It seems like .38 Special +P or 9mm is the minimum any more.

This test was done on whatever firearm we were shooting at the time. There was a scrap piece of treated pine 2 X 12 available and we decided to shoot one round at it. The distance was 7 yards.

As you can see, we used a .22 Short, .22 Long Rifle, .22 Magnum, .25 Auto, .32 Auto, .32 S&W, .380 ACP. and .38 Special. Let's hear some guesses as to which rounds you think passed through the board and the ones that you think did not pass through.

I'll leave this up a while and see what some of you think and then I'll show the other side of the board. Which ones did and which ones didn't?

test1.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• test1.jpg
      test1.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 499

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m gonna say the .32’s and larger, all the way up thru 38 Special, will penetrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    22 mag probably went through, possibly even 22LR at 7yds. Not sure the 25, 32 or 380 auto could make it.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I'll post the results tomorrow morning.

Geezer,
    Please forgive the private messaging, but when you flip the board over, I’d pay you good money to turn the board upside down and randomly mix all the hole labels up.... jest for grins, of course!

—-
    Oppssss....

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I know of an instance where a .380 went through a woman, the chair she sat in, a 400 page hard cover book and skidded to a halt under the carpet.

Factory ball ammo.
    Still trying to figure out how you know it will penetrate farther in 2x12 pine than most people think.

This piece of wood test is really irrelevant to ammo use in the real world.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My guess is they all went through.

The grain of that board is fairly open and pressure treated lumber is generally pretty soft anyways.

The 22lr and 32ACP hit pretty close to the hard area by the knot but I still think they penetrated.

My disclaimer is that my guess is based on the fact that most appear to be fmj or ball bullets as opposed to hollow points.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    @Dawico is almost correct. Every one of them went through the board with the exception of the .22 Short. What does this prove? Not a thing. It is kind of an eye opener since most of these cartridges are considered by many inferior defensive rounds. Even the .25 ACP went through the board.

The back side of the board is not labeled but the board is just turned around.

test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    test2.jpg

Attachments

• test1.jpg
      test1.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 287
    • test2.jpg
      test2.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 252
    Top Bottom