ARJ Defense ad

unruly, inconsiderate, and possibly dangerous neighbors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm an animal lover and I firmly believe that in situations like these the owner is at fault -- not the animal. That said, from a legal perspective, at what point is a person within their legal right to plaster the sidewalk with an aggressive dog's grey matter? This same thing came up on glocktalk.com concerning a forum member and an aggressive pit bull and there were some interesting responses in that thread.
    Venture Surplus ad

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'm an animal lover and I firmly believe that in situations like these the owner is at fault -- not the animal. That said, from a legal perspective, at what point is a person within their legal right to plaster the sidewalk with an aggressive dog's grey matter? This same thing came up on glocktalk.com concerning a forum member and an aggressive pit bull and there were some interesting responses in that thread.

The only way I would harm any dog is if it was attacking and I thought my life was in danger.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I know they are not lawyers, but I spoke to my local pd about a couple of pits running loose. Me, my wife, baby, and dog encountered them on a walk, one seemed very nice and the other appeared more aggressive. I asked about the situation, being a chl holder, did they have an opinion on what was likely to happen if I needed to shoot one. Obviously, they do not encourage people to kill animals, nor do I want to shoot a dog....that said: the officer reminded me that I am responsible for where the bullet goes and to be aware of my surroundings and everything behind the dog. He went on to say that I should do what is needed to protect my family. If that includes putting down an aggressive dog, then just be very careful with any shots. As long as the dog is all that is hit with the bullet, he said that I should be fine. If anything besides the dog or ground is hit with a bullet, I could have legal issues.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.

I know they are not lawyers, but I spoke to my local pd about a couple of pits running loose. Me, my wife, baby, and dog encountered them on a walk, one seemed very nice and the other appeared more aggressive. I asked about the situation, being a chl holder, did they have an opinion on what was likely to happen if I needed to shoot one. Obviously, they do not encourage people to kill animals, nor do I want to shoot a dog....that said: the officer reminded me that I am responsible for where the bullet goes and to be aware of my surroundings and everything behind the dog. He went on to say that I should do what is needed to protect my family. If that includes putting down an aggressive dog, then just be very careful with any shots. As long as the dog is all that is hit with the bullet, he said that I should be fine. If anything besides the dog or ground is hit with a bullet, I could have legal issues.

That is how the conversation went, obviously not verbatim. I have no legal experience and do not recommend shooting these 2 dogs or their owner. I would pursue mace or something more diplomatic first.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    KoW, even if your bullets find their mark and nothing else but the dog was hit by a bullet, you might have some trouble if the owners of those dogs lawyer up to challenge you out of anger. What might become an issue is the discharge of a weapon within city limits and/or with a certain distance of a residence.

That's what I see that could be a potential problem. It is on my mind since we live in city limits and have gone over the varying scenarios we might face if we just took a walk with Chester around the 'hood.

Hopefully yall won't encounter them but things happen. Protect your ladies.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Difference here being that the law allows the discharge of a firearm in instances of self-defense, so there's not likely to be issue there. The owner will have a difficult time prevailing in a lawsuit where his dog was attacking another dog - or human - ESPECIALLY if there have been previous complaints against the dog to establish a reasonable fear on the part of the person that shot.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Difference here being that the law allows the discharge of a firearm in instances of self-defense, so there's not likely to be issue there. The owner will have a difficult time prevailing in a lawsuit where his dog was attacking another dog - or human - ESPECIALLY if there have been previous complaints against the dog to establish a reasonable fear on the part of the person that shot.

Oh duh! Good thinking

vipermike1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    dallas, tx
    yea i just ordered a kimber jpx jet protector a few minutes ago so next time he gets in my personal bubble he has a little surprise coming, my app is still processing for my CHL but a situation like that dosent warrant lethal force nor would i want to use it to do so, but im tired of waiting for my plastic. i talked to the management (he lives next door) and we are going to file a formal complaint and hopefully get him evicted, apparently they have had alot of problems with him like checks bouncing, multiple incidents with his dogs, and having other problems with tenants so we will see. there should be a law if you have to evacuate an area because of a catastrophe you have to go back when its over immediately.

Just wondering if you got your KImber JPX. I was thinking about ordering one but never could fiqure out if it is legal to carry in Texas or not. Texas has a strange pepper spray laws. See "Pepper Spray" laws on this forum. Certainly would like to hear your advice on the JPX. Thanks

Top Bottom