• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Please tell us of any unusual animal sightings you have knowledge of here in Texas.

I saw an ocelot back in 2001, although I’ve never seen a bobcat in the wild. Bobcats are thousands of times more common here. I’ve also seen a Whale Shark a mile off Boca Chica Beach.

A few years back I saw a game camera pic of a Coati Mundi from around Falfurrias. Those aren’t supposed to be within 800 miles of Brooks County.

The TPW officers in Brownsville were shown a video of a full grown Jaguar from a LaSalle County ranch.

Please tell us of any unusual animal sightings you know of.

<>
    Capitol Armory ad

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    <>

Please tell us of any unusual animal sightings you have knowledge of here in Texas.

I saw an ocelot back in 2001, although I’ve never seen a bobcat in the wild. Bobcats are thousands of times more common here. I’ve also seen a Whale Shark a mile off Boca Chica Beach.

A few years back I saw a game camera pic of a Coati Mundi from around Falfurrias. Those aren’t supposed to be within 800 miles of Brooks County.

The TPW officers in Brownsville were shown a video of a full grown Jaguar from a LaSalle County ranch.

Please tell us of any unusual animal sightings you know of.

<>
    1678075123902.png

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Not unusual but every summer there are mountain lions sightings in my area. Probably looking for water or pets to eat. I heard they live on camp bullis.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A solid black cat. Mountain lion sized, crossed the road in front of me.
    Cleared the fence on the right side, one bound in the middle of the road and cleared the fence on the left side.
    Biologists say they don't exist in Texas.

Another sighting was a cat like animal. Bigger than any bobcat. A spotted coat with a long ringed tail.

These were both in the 70s. I found the ring tail cat in the encyclopedia.
    It belongs in central and south America. I forgot the name of the genus.

The only black cat as big as what I saw is supposedly in the Florida everglades.
    Both of these sightings were in Taylor County, Texas.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Somewhere around here I’ve got a 110 photo of a hammerhead shark caught off a party boat in Port Aransas.
    I caught a hammerhead while on a party boat out of Galveston in the early 80s.
    I've got a picture somewhere.
    It was about 18" long. Crew flipped out.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    A solid black cat. Mountain lion sized, crossed the road in front of me.
    Cleared the fence on the right side, one bound in the middle of the road and cleared the fence on the left side.
    Biologists say they don't exist in Texas.

Another sighting was a cat like animal. Bigger than any bobcat. A spotted coat with a long ringed tail.

These were both in the 70s. I found the ring tail cat in the encyclopedia.
    It belongs in central and south America. I forgot the name of the genus.

The only black cat as big as what I saw is supposedly in the Florida everglades.
    Both of these sightings were in Taylor County, Texas.
    Many have reported large black cougar-type cats, way back since the late 1700’s. I heard they are a dark phase of the American Cougar (Mountain Lion / “Panther”).

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    I saw that crossdressing asshole "Leslie" a few times when I lived in Austin...
    Leslie was not a rare sighting but definitely weird.

I have had a couple of melanistic (black) mountain lions on my Llano Co. ranch since 1996.

Saw a Red Wolf in Llano Co. around 2005.

Around 1990, there were several very large blue jay like birds eating cedar berries in Llano Co. in late December. Never was able to positively identify them. They were about the size of a large raven, crested and otherwise colored like a common blue jay. Never have seen them again.

A female Central American skunk not known north of Guatemala denned and raised a litter in our Hays Co. entrance planter. The kittens were likely hybrids with our hog nose skunks. The kittens drove our tuxedo cat wild. She just knew she could raise those kittens herself.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Ran across footprint of a big cat outside of Scurry. BIG cat. Holy crap. This thing put a dent in a muddy creek bank that could not have been more perfect. Bald eagles hang out in near our neighborhood retention pond.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Around 1990, there were several very large blue jay like birds eating cedar berries in Llano Co. in late December. Never was able to positively identify them. They were about the size of a large raven, crested and otherwise colored like a common blue jay. Never have seen them again.

I almost suggested scrub jays, but they're not crested.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ran across footprint of a big cat outside of Scurry. BIG cat. Holy crap. This thing put a dent in a muddy creek bank that could not have been more perfect. Bald eagles hang out in near our neighborhood retention pond.

There's apparently bald eagles around Cedar Creek Lake, but I haven't seen any of 'em. The cat print you saw was probably a cougar. When my parents had their house in Driftwood, we found a cougar print in the mud from the well digging. Almost as big as my dad's hand.

Top Bottom