• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    A fortunate trade for an original Colt early slick-side upper receiver with handguard and 1:12 barrel is now waiting for rebuild into a USAF 604. I'm not certain what to use for the closest option for a lower will be yet. I think a No-NoDak Spud or H&R M16 marked lower would be about the only possibility but I'm, still learning.

I plan on a three-prong flash hider and borrow a chrome BCG from an H&R USAF Slick side upper I've had.

Note the Windage direction arrow normally forged onto the receiver is absent and the drum has only numbers with no arrow. I need to find a Windage Drum with the direction arrow but so far, no joy even for a photo ref.

Photos of proof marks and stamps on the receiver and barrel are interesting and apparently represent earlier styles. The Colt "C" inside a square is barely evident on the fourth photo along with a Triangle "VP" inside that is not readable. Barrel is marked "12" and a "Triangle VP" and "M" appear on right side under the FSB upside down.

This has been fascinating so far and I'm looking forward to putting together what I can to reasonably do justice to the original upper.

Any advice or help along the way will always be appreciated.

Dick
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• IMG_2025.JPG
      IMG_2025.JPG
      473.6 KB · Views: 40
    • IMG_2026.JPG
      IMG_2026.JPG
      274.9 KB · Views: 41
    • IMG_2030.JPG
      IMG_2030.JPG
      214.4 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_2031.JPG
      IMG_2031.JPG
      231.6 KB · Views: 33
    • IMG_2033.JPG
      IMG_2033.JPG
      250 KB · Views: 36

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Found the correct windage drum with arrow form AR15Sport.com - super agreeable guy to talk to and informative.... found out I have an original Colt 601 upper. Now the challenge will be to do justice to it by finding the best available option for the lower.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Found the correct windage drum with arrow form AR15Sport.com - super agreeable guy to talk to and informative.... found out I have an original Colt 601 upper. Now the challenge will be to do justice to it by finding the best available option for the lower.
    Here you go they are NFA &25K each 2 Colt & Hydramatic 1
    IMG_8959.thumb.jpeg.2b686dfd6bcda58083698988b53a99ab.jpeg
    IMG_8958.thumb.jpeg.801698726eccd7d8769b6d74526a67a3.jpeg
    IMG_8957.thumb.jpeg.aec2442a4c2ab3e5a1217a1d239f066c.jpeg

Last edited:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Searching and collecting parts for the 601 the last week or so has turned up an M16/SP1 Buttstock and a repo Triangle Charging Handle. An H&R stripped Blem 601 Sickside Lower with will be used for the bottom half with a chrome BCG from a former AirForce "GAU5A/A project.
    The buttstock hasn't arrived yet but meanwhile I've been looking for an "Edgwater" buffer which probably isn't very realistic anymore, but a standard Colt M16/AR15 rifle assembly might be possible.

That's about it or now. Photos will be posted soon as more parts show up.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The Edgwater Buffer is just a fantasy at this point. I'll have to use what's available and since it won't be visible it's not practical considering the cost. I ordered an H&R stripped Lower from PSA and it looks great except for "H&R" on it. Older NDS lowers apparently are not to be found anywhere so H&R was the best I could do.

Most of the small additional parts may take some time but feel confident they'll show up. I may have a pistol grip but not sure if it's the correct one, if not might serve temporarily. An M16 "D" stock might arrive next week and meanwhile will be looking for the receiver extension and buffer assembly.

Hopefully I may have a source for some of the small parts but will wait and see. Brownells has a 601 front pivot pin for $13.99 but want $11.00 to ship.... $30.00 with tax.
    TDown.gif

There's valuable info on "Retro Black Rifle.com that may come in handy about refinishing and painting the stock and handguards, so I'll look forward to trying that out.

That's it for now - more to follow

Dick

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The handguards have been lightly sanded with 180 and 220 W/D and I've begun building light coats of Duplicolor Red Primer/Filler. When I'm satisfied most of light scratches and wear are filled in and final sanding is competed, they'll be painted with Federal ANA 611 "Interior Green". From what I've researched so far It appears that is the original green that the Air force probably used. A spray can was ordered, and I'll see how it compares to internet reference photos and an original USAF 601 a friend is taking photos of at work.

Still waiting on a "D" buttstock from GB still - hopefully it may be sent this week. After that it's a matter of finding a receiver extension and buffer assembly - probably not an Edgwater though due to obvious cost but hope to find the correct TD/Pivot pins. Brownells has the front pivot pin, but they want $11.00 shipping for it. GB as some also but the sellers think they can justify they're for the pin.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The 601 handguards have been sanded and sprayed with three light coats of Duplicolor Red Sandable Primer/Filler. A few more coats and sanding scratches and light blemishes should all but be unnoticed after final finishing with the green paint. After internet research it appears the correct green finish was probably FSN 34151 ANA 611 "Interior Green".

Attachments

• EarlyGreenStockSet.jpg
      EarlyGreenStockSet.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 19
    • ANA.611.jpg
      ANA.611.jpg
      5.3 KB · Views: 20
    • thumbnail_IMG_2116.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_2116.jpg
      102.8 KB · Views: 19
    • thumbnail_IMG_2117.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_2117.jpg
      110.6 KB · Views: 21

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Once a machine, always machine gun. Some guns were as easy as melting the lead out the barrels, or tack welding the bolt to the receiver.
    Those weren't proper demilled- supposed to be 2 torch cuts thru receiver.

Just to clarify- you could buy a pre-ban select fire and reweld and not get puppy shot? Wild.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Those weren't proper demilled- supposed to be 2 torch cuts thru receiver.

Just to clarify- you could buy a pre-ban select fire and reweld and not get puppy shot? Wild.
    Yes sir a lot of guns came home after WWII in duffle bags. Many of them were demilled as war trophies. If they were register as a demil they had Uncle Sugars blessing.

The important dates were1968 then 1986. As machine guns grew in value the de milled guns became rewatts.

And don't forget C&R guns

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The buttstock has shipped - trk shows arriving tomorrow. I think I managed to get lucky and score an original Edgwater Buffer from Amherst Mil Depot - the last one they had for $150....not too bad in comparison from what I've seen if available anywhere else. The photo looked very good if it's accurate.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The buttstock arrived this morning and looks very good. The sling swivel was removed and the stock lightly sanded with 180 and 220 W/D ready for painting.

The tab that inserts into the receiver has a hole with some sort of material that I assume was stuck in there for some reason and I'm confused as to what it is or the purpose.
    Photos attached are the best description...I don't understand what the purpose was for the hole??

edit:
    The realization has struck me that I'm not sure where the detent spring for the takedown is supposed to go on this stock.... something else doesn't seem to make sense.

Attachments

• orig.m16.butt.1.jpg
      orig.m16.butt.1.jpg
      100.5 KB · Views: 16
    • thumbnail_IMG_2201.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_2201.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 18
    • thumbnail_IMG_2204.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_2204.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 15
    • thumbnail_IMG_2206.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_2206.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 16

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    My confusion on the detent spring is a non-issue. The detent spring simply extends from the offset hole in the upper receiver and fits flush against the buttstock. I still cannot understand what the function for hole is the middle of the tab or the material that was inside. Another photo online showed the same style "D" buttstock with the same hole and identical same stuff inside. Whatever I'm not concerned about it at this point as much as just curious.

The Edgwater Buffer came in the mail from Amherst Depot and looks good. Next is finding a correct buffer tube, and pivot and takedown pins.

The buttstock and pistol grip will get painted this week in the red.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Found out the small hole in the center of the buttstock tab was for filling the stock with foam during the production and the tiny "straw" was part of the process.

Top Bottom