• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ls1matt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've taken my gun apart and now I can't put it back together! :banghead:

Well the problem is with the retaining pin/spring. A lot of people online refer to it as a "shepherd hook". This spring just popped out last night when I pulled out my safety lever. I don't recall if the spring was over or under the trigger pin. I have not for the life of me been able to get it under the trigger pin and hooked under the hammer pin. I did manage to get it hooked under the hammer pin and flush against the receiver wall, but that is with the shepherd hook over the trigger pin. Is this correct? I will be buying a Red Star Arms retaining plate asap, but i just can't stand having my gun apart in the mean time. See if you guys can make out my situation by the pics. Thanks.

This is what my hook looks like:
    retainingspringclipex3.jpg

2sbltp0.jpg

23tfc6q.jpg

efqepx.jpg

rbwqk7.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

ls1matt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    San Antonio
    I think it needs to go under the trigger pin.

Err... You'll need to pop the trigger pin out a little then shove it down and push the pin back in place.

I see, so i guess its impossible to install without removing the pin. I guess i'll just leave it like that for now till I put in the new retainer plate

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Replaced mine with a hitch pin, zero issues and 500+ rounds down the pipe since. Cost .25 at any hardware store.

CGP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I've taken my gun apart and now I can't put it back together! :banghead:

retainingspringclipex3.jpg

The hook piece (to the right) goes against the hammer axis pin - not under the axis pin with the "tail" butting against it. Make sure it goes in that small notch on the pin. The bent section goes above the trigger axis pin and resting inside the the pin notch. Press it in place against the receiver wall. Insert your selector and catch the loop. This will create tension. Last step is you basically try to put the selector through the opposite hole while the loop is in place. If the spring comes out of the axis pin notches, you can use a long nose to lift it in place and drop it over the trigger axis pin notch.

CGP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Here's the plate that I like: AK-47 SHEPHERD'S CROOK TRIGGER PIN RETAINING PLATE - Brownells

You put the C at the right end in the trigger pin slot, then rotate it down so that the middle C goes over the hammer pin slot. Then you just install the safety through the hole at the left end.

It won't work on guns with a side rail, though. The rivets for the rail are in the way.

Actually, that one will work even with a side rail, unless the side rail is incorrectly mounted in the first place.

Here's the plate:

p_997000011_1.jpg

Here's a picture installed on my Bulgarian AK-74 with side rails:

img2472q.jpg

Top Bottom