Venture Surplus ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    They haven't had LRP for a very long time. I'm beginning to wonder if its like the Academy thing where the employees are buying all the primers up.

But the Varget and H4350 being priced at $60+ is must stupid. Several other powders in the $40-$50 range, then those two over priced. Crazy times.
    Have they proven that the academy employees do that? I've heard it being said, but I always thought it was just sour grapes! I've picked up LRP at the Academy in Conroe a couple of times in the last few months.
    ARJ Defense ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had considered selling some of my powder a few months ago since I have an abundance of a couple, just to help folks out. But I think I will just keep it. Too costly to replace it.

Glad I transitioned to Nitro 100 for my cowboy loads. I have plenty of that and like it better.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Have they proven that the academy employees do that? I've heard it being said, but I always thought it was just sour grapes! I've picked up LRP at the Academy in Conroe a couple of times in the last few months.

I have had gun counter EEs at two stores (Plano on 75 and Garland) tell me they don't get any primers. That the only store that gets primers is McKinney. And a guy at another store told me that all stores get primers. Both no-primer stores have other reloading stuff.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I know where you can pick up Retumbo for $100/pound. And have a look at recent Gunbroker closed auctions for Trail Boss; it has sold for as much as $300/pound.

Crazy times, indeed.

$55/lb direct from Hodgdon. I have bought from them before.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    $55/lb direct from Hodgdon. I have bought from them before.

And out of stock. For years, now.

And they don't even bother to list the 5 pound jugs.

The guys who don't believe they can shoot without it are paying whatever they have to.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I am pretty stocked up on powder, but with the availability issues the last few years, when I see stuff in stock at the local store I am always tempted to buy it. UNTIL, I saw one of my favorite powders (IMR4350) in stock and priced at $500 for an 8lb jug!! I’ve only been reloading about 4 years, but these prices are insane!! I fell in love with hand loading for my rifles, when powder was $30 a lb and primers were $30 a brick. Don’t think we will ever see those days again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I just loaded a trial run of 38 was cutters! 148gr dewc plated xtremes. I decided to go with titegroup and it's a scary small amount of powder but it shot great in 45lc cases so why not. I went with 3.4gr(20) and 10 at 3.5gr. Technically over max for the special but I'll be shooting them in a SW R8 and a 686 Deluxe. I'm hoping for 800fps but I know plated rounds can run slower than lead, hence the charges.

Here's a picture to get us back on topic...

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_230726318~2.jpg
      IMG_20240410_230726318~2.jpg
      262 KB · Views: 24

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Technically over max for the special but I'll be shooting them in a SW R8 and a 686 Deluxe. I'm hoping for 800fps but I know plated rounds can run slower than lead, hence the charges.
    I've chrono'd factory wadcutters as low as 400 fps (a fluke, I think, since most of that ammo was running in the high 500s, low 600s) and as high as just under 1000. When you start playing with wadcutters, you'll find lots of interesting things about them.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a box of wadcutters I loaded for my dad. Now that his pistol is mine, I'm inclined to not shoot it.

He bought that S&W for $35 in 1957. It was his duty weapon for 36 years, except for his time as a detective.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom