• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    What happened with the SA35 and Prodigy?

Both were not ready for market - released early to meet sales / marketing demands. Engineers quickly fixed the issues, but both had rough starts.

Does SA ever do anything original anymore?

Never have, never will until they actually start making guns themselves instead of slapping roll marks on someone else's creation.

Couple of things:

I was surprised to learn that the Echelon is a design from Croatia. I don't know why that seems odd. They make a lot of firearms in that region, but it just seems odd to partner up with SA. Seems like they took a lot of good ideas from Sig and tried to improve on that.

I laugh when I see all the "good" manufacturers versus "bad" ones. For the most part, they make guns and they have to deal with politics to stay in business. S&W was run by idiots at the time they got all "anti-2A", and they paid the price for that. That management is long gone. Ruger thought they could distance themselves from the "Black Rifle" bans, but that was foolish. None of the anti-gun laws are about public safety or anything else they claim. Not one of the gun manufacturers, suppliers, vendors, distributors, or advertisers cares one bit about you. It's not personal; there's no reason to believe that anyone else cares about you. They make good guns, or they don't. Stop trying to give them personalities.

As for trashing SA, in my experience they make pretty good firearms. There are certainly manufacturers that I'd avoid (Taurus), but SA seems to make decent firearms and I've never heard of people having problems with their service folks (unlike Taurus).

Having said that, I'm not going to be lining up to buy the new Echelon. I don't want to have to get new magazines. (I realized a few years ago that one of the biggest reasons I avoid buying a new gun is that I don't want to have to get new magazines. I'd rather have a bunch of different 1911s that can share mags rather than having a cool new pistol that forces me to search for magazine sales.)

Springfield has been partnered with HS Produkt in Croatia since 2001 when they struck the deal to rebrand the HS 2000 pistol as the Springfield XD. They tacked $100 onto the price tag, added a light rail to the original, and called it the eXtreme Duty pistol with that lame ass late 90's / early 2000's faux edgyness that everything has to be EXTREME.

If its a striker fired pistol with an SA rollmark - its made by HS Produkt.

They must have had an agreement NOT to release the gun under the HS brand until it was released in the USA under the Springfield brand with the Echelon - as their website still hadn't showed a new model as of launch day the other day for Springfield. They do a decent business in Europe as a military contractor and in countries that allow citizens to have pistols or "non sporting" rifles.
    Guns International

olddirtygerm

Awesome
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I went and shot it today so I could get the free hat. They were cycling through people for the 10 rounds. Trigger felt pretty good for a stock gun. I'm still not a buyer but now I have a Springfield Armory hat and can koozie.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I went and shot it today so I could get the free hat. They were cycling through people for the 10 rounds. Trigger felt pretty good for a stock gun. I'm still not a buyer but now I have a Springfield Armory hat and can koozie.
    Eschelon.png

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I saw the new Springfield yesterday while shopping for a G48

Here is what I have to say about Springfields new gun

meh...

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    You know in truth Glock is the last in doing anything interesting or innovative. Just the same ol shit gun after gun after gun # after # and please don't say because they don't need to If they didn't there wouldn't be so many after market enhancements made for them. Yeah let that sink in a ways.
    They've never made a rifle an AR or anything else.
    Anyway Springfield will sell the shit outa this new gun like all else they bring forth. People love new shit no matter where it comes from or who makes it. That's a proven History.
    I'm not a Springfield fan boy I only own two and have no intentions on buying another.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Flame on

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I used to be hardcore on the "**** Springfield" train - because of their lobbyist shenanigans. I've softened the point though because of a compelling argument made by a political talking head - might've been Tim Pool, might've been some other talking head - but they made the argument that we should punish companies when they act against us - but if we don't offer them the opportunity to redeem themselves and reward them when they act right and support us - then all we do is galvanize them against us.

Smith & Wesson and Ruger both shit the bed in the 90's. Both have redeemed themselves. Yes, it took Bill Ruger dying and other taking the reins, and Smith & Wesson was owned by the damned Brits when they did their stupidity, so we're lucky they even exist today, to be honest. Neither company is the same as they were 30 years ago. Springfield Armory can redeem themselves too.

I'm not ready to run out and buy another one of their guns - hell, at the moment I'm not ready to buy any new gun. I might rent one of these at the range after the fanfare dies down and see how they shoot compared to my Beretta, or my M&P. Might also rent a Hellcat Pro to see how they shoot. I didn't love the X-Macro from Sig, despite it feeling good in the hand. The Hellcat feels good too, but all it does better than say a Glock 19 or M&P Compact is being thinner and that's not a huge deal to me.

If the Echelon does turn out to shoot flatter / better than my M&P, maybe I'll look to getting one. After the bugs are worked out. It is a Springfield / HS Produkt after all, and they're known to be buggy at launch. Seems that's every new gun though - X-Macro from Sig had teething issues, the P320, the 4th gen Glocks.

Truth be told though, my next full size gun purchase is going to come with the caveat that Springfield or some other reputable duty holster maker supports the thing. Only reason I don't tote my Beretta at work is that no one makes a level 3 retention holster for it + a light + an optic, whereas Glocks, M&P's, Staccato, and the Sig P320 all have such a beast available.

olddirtygerm

Awesome
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2018
    Fort Worth
    You know in truth Glock is the last in doing anything interesting or innovative. Just the same ol shit gun after gun after gun # after # and please don't say because they don't need to If they didn't there wouldn't be so many after market enhancements made for them. Yeah let that sink in a ways.
    They've never made a rifle an AR or anything else.
    Anyway Springfield will sell the shit outa this new gun like all else they bring forth. People love new shit no matter where it comes from or who makes it. That's a proven History.
    I'm not a Springfield fan boy I only own two and have no intentions on buying another.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Flame on
    Glock couldn't even submit a real modular design for the modular handgun contract Sig won. They should do something new but probably don't feel they have to.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Glock couldn't even submit a real modular design for the modular handgun contract Sig won. They should do something new but probably don't feel they have to.
    This again... Glock's submission fully met the "modular" criteria the Gov't set. They wanted backstraps and an accessory rail.

Top Bottom