Gun Zone Deals

What gun stuff did you buy today?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was anal...vacuum seal ammo, date it, nah, I'm waaaaaaay too lazy.

If it shoots, great, if not, I'll keep chamber-ing rounds until it does.

(though, I do rather admire you seal-a-meal-er-cartridge guys)
Texas SOT

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed that you have similar stored quantities as myself.
What is the typical quantity in a sealed pouch of handgun ammo?
Do you also have case size sealed pouches?
Just curious.
I normally seal each box of ammo individually. For 9mm and 45 ACP one 50 round box fits perfectly in a one pint vacuum bag. If I buy a case, I will break the case down and seal all 20 boxes individually. 45 Colt and 10mm takes a quart size bag. For the 223/5.56/300 BO, I can fit 3 twenty round boxes in a pint bag.

I did buy 500 rounds of loose packed 300 BO once. I split it up into 50 round bags.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting .
Are you saying that you take the ammo out of the "holder" and put it in loose.

No OOC, sorry I realize it's a prime opportunity, lol.

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it all in ammo cans and label them. It makes range day a lot easier. I just replenished the 230 Gr HP with Remington silver tips. The can was getting low and shipping was free on 500 rounds.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it all in ammo cans and label them. It makes range day a lot easier.

Same here. I don't have room for it all in one place. This is one location.

37466336230_a7e2e4fe51_c.jpg
IMG_1948 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152171653@N05/

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
150 rounds of Fiocchi 45 ACP police trade in. $13.49 a box. Two boxes came with the plastic carrier broken, but the ammo was fine. Transferred it to an MTM ammo case. Vacuum sealed it for storage, as I do with all my ammo. Well, except for the loaded mags.

View attachment 151609 IMG_2236
Why vacuum seal it? How long do you plan on storing it? Have you had issues that can be linked to moisture?

Just curious as I have never seen the need personally.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why vacuum seal it? How long do you plan on storing it? Have you had issues that can be linked to moisture?

Just curious as I have never seen the need personally.
At my age, it's definitely overkill. I just started vacuum sealing ammo about 5 years ago. Never really had any problem with storage before when I just kept it on a shelf in the closet. But I also never had more than a hundred rounds on hand of each caliber before that.

Now I keep a much larger inventory on hand and vacuum sealing seems like the best way to keep it fresh. It stays bright and shiny and new looking.

Heck, I even vacuum seal some of the firearms that I don't shoot very often. Yep, even Grandad's old 1892 Winchester rifle. I guess I just like vacuum sealing stuff. :)

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You realize that vacuum sealing retains moisture, do you include a desiccant with the weapons?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You realize that vacuum sealing retains moisture, do you include a desiccant with the weapons?
I put a desiccant pack in with the old rifle, but not the pistols. I give them a good coat of lube before I seal them up. My Dad's WW II bring back 8mm Roth-Steyer pistol has been sealed up since February of 2008. It's not showing any signs of rust. I have a Rohm Model 63 that's been sealed since December, 2006. No rust on it either, at least that I can see through the clear plastic. My Ruger Blackhawk had been sealed up for 5 years before I took it to the range last time. It came out looking just like the day I sealed it up.

I think the vacuum does reduce some of the moisture in the air. And, I don't seal them up if the ambient relative humidity is above about 50%. My room AC usually brings it down into the 40% range.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I put a desiccant pack in with the old rifle, but not the pistols. I give them a good coat of lube before I seal them up. My Dad's WW II bring back 8mm Roth-Steyer pistol has been sealed up since February of 2008. It's not showing any signs of rust. I have a Rohm Model 63 that's been sealed since December, 2006. No rust on it either, at least that I can see through the clear plastic. My Ruger Blackhawk had been sealed up for 5 years before I took it to the range last time. It came out looking just like the day I sealed it up.

I think the vacuum does reduce some of the moisture in the air. And, I don't seal them up if the ambient relative humidity is above about 50%. My room AC usually brings it down into the 40% range.
I think you’re addicted to vacuum sealing.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Available moisture in the atmosphere is reduced using the vacuum sealer since most of that atmosphere is removed...hence the vacuum.

Now how much vacuum ? Hard to tell unless you had a gauge to see during the evacuation process.

Any pressure in the bag less than the ambient outside pressure will collapse the bag around the object inside..

The question I have is a good source of the vacuum seal bags or rolls. My older sealer is also showing its age....time to start looking for a new one.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interesting .
Are you saying that you take the ammo out of the "holder" and put it in loose.

No OOC, sorry I realize it's a prime opportunity, lol.
Bad idea pops
In the event of a recall (slim but possible)you will never know what's good or bad

Last night while drinking I bought another Bulgarian splice ak mag.
Like so
2dtsyuh.jpg

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have is a good source of the vacuum seal bags or rolls. My older sealer is also showing its age....time to start looking for a new one.

I get mine from Amazon. These are cheaper and better than the Food Saver brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSST17...colid=AWLOT5KHO12E&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSSLWIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rolls

https://www.amazon.com/FoodVacBags-...540136862&sr=8-14&keywords=vacuum+sealer+roll

This is a much better machine than the Food Savers. But much pricier too.

https://www.amazon.com/Weston-65-01..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=89E0HF9YAYCVB9JS0NSQ

Every Day Man
Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gearhead_Gunsmith