• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I only konw this because there is a PCP air gun called the Mora that is made there that I am looking at.
    1714837053095.jpeg

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Adopted an old Old Soldier a few days ago.
    Found this old fellow languishing in a pawn shop.
    WW2 era PAL RH-36
    Had to spend a few minutes cleaning the rust off. Handle is solid. Got’er done. Back to slicing paper sharp.
    View attachment 450787

View attachment 450788
    Old soldier? I have something very similar that my father wore during WWII (in Belgium, Germany and CZ). It has no visible markings, it does have a blood channel on both sides toward the back of the 6-3/4" blade and the tip is sharpened on cutting side and the top of the back side of blade. But cap is steel, handle is natural leather with rings cut into it. Suspect to make it less susceptible to grip slipping if wet. I've never sharpened it, but it is still very sharp. It is clear that my father made the leather belt sheath himself, it was marked with burning iron on back of sheath. Dad died 3 years ago at 94.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Old soldier? I have something very similar that my father wore during WWII (in Belgium, Germany and CZ). It has no visible markings, it does have a blood channel on both sides toward the back of the 6-3/4" blade and the tip is sharpened on cutting side and the top of the back side of blade. But cap is steel, handle is natural leather with rings cut into it. Suspect to make it less susceptible to grip slipping if wet. I've never sharpened it, but it is still very sharp. It is clear that my father made the leather belt sheath himself, it was marked with burning iron on back of sheath. Dad died 3 years ago at 94.

I find your lack of pictures…..disturbing.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I bought a used car in the 70's, in the trunk was a knife similar to that one. A lot of years ago don't know where it is.
    Knowing my father, he may have made it from a partial kit. I am sure the sheath is hand made and that it has his finger prints all over it. I was unable to see any manufacturers markings. I never saw him use it hunting, it was always in his gun cabinet. He had a number of hunting knives he did use.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I made no effort to polish it. Wiped it with lacquer thinner and light oil. It is just how it came out of his gun case. I've never used it. But cherish everything he left. He was a great man.

Your Pop's knife appears to be a USN MkII knife.
    During WW2, Camillus, Case, PAL, A.F.&H., Remington, Colonial, Robeson-Shuredge, and of course the famous Ka-Bar, and others all produced knives for the U.S. forces.
    There were many different versions.
    The knives were used in all theaters and swapped, traded, sold among individuals.
    It isn't at all unusual for a USN knife to be carried by an infantryman in Europe.
    These things were everywhere.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I made no effort to polish it. Wiped it with lacquer thinner and light oil. It is just how it came out of his gun case. I've never used it. But cherish everything he left. He was a great man.

That looks a lot like the Camillus knife that they made for troops during World War Two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    During WW2, Camillus, Case, PAL, A.F.&H., Remington, Colonial, Robeson-Shuredge, and of course the famous Ka-Bar, and others all produced knives for the U.S. forces.
    The knives were used in all theaters and swapped, traded, sold among individuals.
    It isn't at all unusual for a USN knife to be carried by an infantryman in Europe.
    Thank you for the info.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    That looks a lot like the Camillus knife that they made for troops during World War Two.

Thank you. I did notice my father cut K - into the face of the sheath. But there was no trade mark on the knife itself. It has a grip similar to the KA-BAR knives from that era I have seen and the tip if machined the same.

I just cleaned the knife just above the hilt with a SOS pad, it uncovered a faint KA-BAR on the right side of the blade. I have no idea why it is so faint, but the KA and the AR are clear under magnifying glass.

Last edited:

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Thank you. I did notice my father cut K - into the face of the sheath. But there was no trade mark on the knife itself. It has a grip similar to the KA-BAR knives from that era I have seen and the tip if machined the same.

I just cleaned the knife just above the hilt with a SOS pad, it uncovered a faint KA-BAR on the right side of the blade. I have no idea why it is so faint, but the KA and the AR are clear under magnifying glass.

It’s faded from heavy use. You know, like when he was lifting a lot of enemy scalps during the war.

At least that’s how it happened in my mind. That’s it I’m sticking to the story.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    It’s faded from heavy use. You know, like when he was lifting a lot of enemy scalps during the war.

At least that’s how it happened in my mind. That’s it I’m sticking to the story.

He was a great shot. Was an armorer, serviced Quad 50's and Bofors. He knew what the knife was for, but doubt it was like you said. I was surprised to learn today it was a KA-BAR. there is more etched after that, think it said USA.

I am sure he had it on him daily for 2-1/2 years.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    He was a great shot. Was an armorer, serviced Quad 50's and Bofors. He knew what the knife was for, but doubt it was like you said. I was surprised to learn today it was a KA-BAR. there is more etched after that, think it said USA.

I am sure he had it on him daily for 2-1/2 years.

I’m sure he did, as he had a lot of scalps to lift.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    YOU are correct about the knife companies AND where/who carried what knife ALL AROUND THE WORLD during WW2 and in MANY OTHER TIMES of WAR - conflicts too.

My late husband was a decorated Nam Veteran and he served in Nam and ALL around the world = USN on a destroyer.

He was working and going to school when he enlisted. He quit his full time schooling at his university and went part time to 'school' so he could WORK some more.

Anyway, he was NOT DRAFTED and he enlisted (USN) in LATE 1965.

ONE of the military knives that he had on board ship was the famous stainless steel folding knife that the US MILITARY issues. That 'USN' knife was used and not only SEEN by him in Nam but ALL around the world, several tours of his ALL around the world, and NOT only used by sailors on destroyers, aircraft carriers, battleships, etc.

After he got out of the USN, after my late Mom died of cancer on the East Coast, etc. - he or WE moved to his home state in the GREAT LAKES REGION - boonies.

He had a BREAK IN SERVICE TIME and joined the Air NG Fighter Wing in his home state.

He had a NON .gov job too.

He served stateside and in many countries - WORLD wide with the AIR NG FIGHTER WING.

He saw ARMY GUYS in Central and South America, AF and AIR NG and ARMY guys/gals in FL - USA, ALL OVER THE USA, in Germany, the MidEast, etc. and MANY OF THEM had the SAME KNIFE or knives that he had back during the Nam era from the USN.

Camillus and MANY of those FAMOUS KNIFE COMPANIES (MANY of them out of NY STATE.) made those knives. FIXED BLADE and folding knives.

The ONE SPECIFIC KNIFE that I am thinking about now comes to my old lady mind. Nam era, before and after, it was a STAINLESS STEEL folding knife. FAMOUS DESIGN!

I gifted one of them to an older USN man, friend up north, who was serving during JFK's time on another ship. My late husband was born right after WW2 ended - in 1945 and that man was born in 42 (?) or IN 1941 like my older brother.

My Montana husband had the AF SURVIVAL KNIFE (Pilot knife = Nam era.) with the leather sheath and sharpening stone. Plus MANY other military and NON military knives in the past.

One of his close buddies from work bought a bunch of his knives when his friend's son enlisted in the service.

We gifted a BUNCH of USA and foreign made knives over the years too. I did back east and some out here too.

My Montana husband was still going to the university FULL TIME and working PART TIME and the Nam War ended. He did not serve in the military and when he was in school at the U of M full time - he did not get called up with his 'number'.

We are in our 70's.

Old Lady Cate

Top Bottom