• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Hey Texas!

I am going to take my CHL class Saturday, and have been reading over Texas Laws. I was wondering if anyone can tell me which parts I should concentrate on? Alot of the 70 pages seems like so much legal mumbo-jumbo that I would like to actually study what is more important for my class. I know it ALL important, but was just wondering which part the class focuses on. I have read through it many times.....by the time I get to page 70.....the first 50 pages are a blur...lol, getting old and forgetful.

Thanks for any guidance.......
    Chris
    Hurley's Gold

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Most of the info covered in my class starts on page 31 and beyond. I would assume they are all the same, but yet all different as well. Kind of weird when you say it. Hope this helped.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I am going to take my CHL class Saturday, and have been reading over Texas Laws. I was wondering if anyone can tell me which parts I should concentrate on? Alot of the 70 pages seems like so much legal mumbo-jumbo that I would like to actually study what is more important for my class. I know it ALL important, but was just wondering which part the class focuses on. I have read through it many times.....by the time I get to page 70.....the first 50 pages are a blur...lol, getting old and forgetful.

Chapters 9 and 46 of the Penal Code

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    i will....thanks guys......still gonna read it all as many times as I can....but will take note to those sections. Funny thing is.....I am more worried about the shooting part than the written. I have owned guns and been shooting for 25+ years, but this part worries me even though I know a couple people with CHL's that can't hit a house from 25 yrds. =) It's all fun....life is good!

mcfroggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    League City
    Stop studying. It's a very simple test - both written and shooting. I've seen people that have shot only 25 rounds in their life walk in and ace everything.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's great that you want to study up but don't worry about passing the test. It's very easy and you get 3 chances. Everyone passes the test.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I agree with Davetex. Neither test is hard. Just stay focused. The process is more one of trying to make sure you aren't completely incapable of handling a firearm than one that tries to set a tough standard.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am an instructor. If you stay awake in class you will pass. If you fall asleep you will probably pass. ;)

The test is written very simply. No questions like; "section 46.035 (b) of the penal code references what?" They are like; "true or false, you don't need to carry your CHL when carrying your handgun at night".

Hope you let us know how the class went.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I am an instructor. If you stay awake in class you will pass. If you fall asleep you will probably pass. ;)

The test is written very simply. No questions like; "section 46.035 (b) of the penal code references what?" They are like; "true or false, you don't need to carry your CHL when carrying your handgun at night".

Hope you let us know how the class went.

I finished the class today.....one day class.......it was really, kinda, too simple. Shot a 246....had some fun people in the class. Glad I decided to do it.......

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Awesome what will you be carrying when you receive your license?

I bought a Glock 23 gen4 about three months ago.......that will be my carry. I do have a couple revolvers that would be nice too...A S&W model 10 from 1940, and a Taurus model 617(?), the 7 shot .357. Both are 2 inch snubbies. Everything else I have is full size. May look for a sub-compact soon.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I bought a Glock 23 gen4 about three months ago.......that will be my carry. I do have a couple revolvers that would be nice too...A S&W model 10 from 1940, and a Taurus model 617(?), the 7 shot .357. Both are 2 inch snubbies. Everything else I have is full size. May look for a sub-compact soon.

All great choices. Practice often!

Congrats on getting the class done

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Unfortunately, they're correct. With even a marginal instructor, you'll have no problem passing the test. Actually, you could probably pass the test if the instructor didn't show up.

From a practical standpoint, I'd get familiar with the following sections:
    9.31, 9.32, 9.41, 9.42, 9.43, 46.02, 46.03, 46.035 (don't forget subsection 'i'), 46.15 and 30.06. All of CH 9 and 46 would be great, but these are the ones that will affect you most.

Top Bottom