• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Exactly. My issue is that the lefties on the left coast kept pushing to ban even *asking* if a person is a felon when they apply. Maybe I'm applying double standards BUT (there's the but / butt) even though I'm perfectly OK with giving felons their rights to own guns back when they're released from their sentence, I am *not* OK with felons getting badges and the authority to arrest, and the government backed ability to make life & death decisions that police must make on a regular basis. If you've got sealed / set aside / expunged stuff - okay. That means you probably turned shit around and you're an alright human being, or it could mean you're just better at hiding your dirty shit now.

Lots of guys made stupid decisions young, that haunt them for the rest of their life. There's some really successful dudes who are felons, who went legit, or maybe they were legit and their felonies were for drugs. Unless the felony was selling to a minor, I give almost no fks about drug convictions personally. Of course as an employer, I should be able to exclude them from consideration right off the bat. I should not be mandated to spend the time and resources trying to hire someone, only to find out during the background check (typically not the first thing done in a hiring process) that the person is DQ'd for felonies or something.

But I seriously think in the next few years we'll see Cali, Oregon, and Washington push to change the laws allowing for felons and otherwise prohibited persons from a federal firearms possession standpoint be allowed to become certified police officers. They push for integrating felons or not discriminating against them in almost every other aspect of life or employment at this point. Let the baddies police the baddies? Seems like a left coast policy in the making.
    I would hope the left doesn’t go that far but how many times have folks said that about em?

If I could snap my fingers and magically change anything it would be disband several federal and state’s agencies so all local agencies could get balls to wall funding and cops could start at 80k a year and receive full screenings for character.
    Lynx Defense

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I suppose the sheriff if convicted of a felony could be like a mall cop and walk around with no gun.

Really?

I see various Sheriffs walk around like that alla time. Many consider it to be an administrative position and don't embrace the active side of policing. Not going out on patrol and such.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Really?

I see various Sheriffs walk around like that alla time. Many consider it to be an administrative position and don't embrace the active side of policing. Not going out on patrol and such.

I've never seen a sheriff *not* be armed. Might be in a suit, or business casual, but never have I seen one unarmed.

When I lived in Oregon, we had a great sheriff. Pat Garrett actually did go on patrol on occasion, I only ever saw him in uniform with full duty belt. He was an actual leader and not just an administrator. I'll bet the sheriff there in Union or Baker County still wears his uniform and pistol (couldn't remember if you're in LaGrande or Baker City)

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I've never seen a sheriff *not* be armed. Might be in a suit, or business casual, but never have I seen one unarmed.

When I lived in Oregon, we had a great sheriff. Pat Garrett actually did go on patrol on occasion, I only ever saw him in uniform with full duty belt. He was an actual leader and not just an administrator. I'll bet the sheriff there in Union or Baker County still wears his uniform and pistol (couldn't remember if you're in LaGrande or Baker City)

Depends on the Sheriff.

I've lived in the area since 1980 and my job took me into all LE offices in several counties. And YES, I have seen various Sheriffs in uniform but not armed.

Soooo, administrators aren't leaders? That's kinda weird, because they run the entire dept.

Diff is that some Sheriffs come from a LE background, and some don't. I do think it odd if a Sheriff gets elected w/o LE experience, but I guess it could happen. However IMO many, if not most, graduate to an admin level and leave the day to day policing to the troops.

One person's experience does not necessarily extrapolate into what happens EVERYWHERE. That's why I purposely only mentioned what I have seen and avoided saying that's what happens elsewhere.

How bout that Grady Judd eh?

Top Bottom