• ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Asking for a friend

Brand new Nosler brass. The Lee 8 lets it pop out when seating the primer. Lee 2nd list 8 and 25
    Going to try the RCBS 14, have read it works well with Lapua brass

I guess its trial and error with different brands of brass
    Target Sports

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The loading manual info for which shell holder is not true depending on the brass manufacturer

You didn't have to be a prick
    Or then again I don't know you so maybe you did

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have had no issues with Hornady's #H43 shell holder. They are available at Academy usually. I have two of them and they work well. It holds well enough to use my bullet puller which takes a ton of force.

I am not surprised that your buddy is having issues with the Lee shell holder for .338 Lapua. I bought one of their case trimmer setups and it doesn't hold the cases worth a crap. I have to center the case perfectly for it to hold the case and one hair off and the case pops out. I contacted them about it and they sent me a new one. The new one is only marginally better.

I am at the point of drilling and tapping a Hornady shell holder to use in the Lee trimmer.

I think just get anything but a Lee and your buddy will be fine.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have had no issues with Hornady's #H43 shell holder. They are available at Academy usually. I have two of them and they work well. It holds well enough to use my bullet puller which takes a ton of force.

I am not surprised that your buddy is having issues with the Lee shell holder for .338 Lapua. I bought one of their case trimmer setups and it doesn't hold the cases worth a crap. I have to center the case perfectly for it to hold the case and one hair off and the case pops out. I contacted them about it and they sent me a new one. The new one is only marginally better.

I am at the point of drilling and tapping a Hornady shell holder to use in the Lee trimmer.

I think just get anything but a Lee and your buddy will be fine.

thank you for the info.

yeah, I told him that too. He is going to come borrow my RCBS primer and try it out.

The varying rim thickness of different 338 Lapua brass is why so many people have had to try different brands of shell holders.
    The sniper forums I was looking at said that a Redding #35 seems to work with different head stamps

I don't load that cartridge, and my friends loads mainly 308, 270 and 243 and this is his first go at 338 Lapua

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have six different headstamps of .338 Lapua brass and they all work well the the Hornady shell holder.

And they all suck in the Lee.

I am guessing they will all work well in the RCBS too.

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    Lee #25 for the Lee hand primer (which is what I use). I use the Redding #35 in my RCBS press. I have about 100 Lapua and 100 Nosler brass. The case rim on the Lapua is a little thicker than that of the nosler, but I've had no problems reloading either using the above holders.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    thanks trigger, nice to know you have the Nosler brass.
    He picked up a 14 RCBS and is going to try my hand primer out

Top Bottom