• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 630skirmish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2022
    Irving Texas
    I am looking to cut my 16" inch BCM barrel down to 14.5 or maybe 13.7. Who are some good gunsmiths in the DFW area that I can have this work done? If not local are there businesses that I can send my upper to in another state?

Also, do I need to dissemble the barrel from the upper when having my barrel cut? I can remove and install the handguard but do they need to take the barrel off from the upper receiver?
    Guns International

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Where, DFW is about 1,250 square miles. There are a few scattered all over the Metromess, from Benbrook to Rockwall, Cedar Hill to Krum. But @baboon is correct, see above.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Where, DFW is about 1,250 square miles. There are a few scattered all over the Metromess, from Benbrook to Rockwall, Cedar Hill to Krum. But @baboon is correct, see above.
    My thinking has always been just buy another upper, that way you are making use of the modularity of the AR platform. Of course then eventually you get another lower( perhaps assemble one yourself) and have another gun.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    My thinking has always been just buy another upper, that way you are making use of the modularity of the AR platform. Of course then eventually you get another lower( perhaps assemble one yourself) and have another gun.

There are cheap complete upper for less then might be charged by a competent smith.

Yes! but we don't use the C word, it is an "affordable, quality, upper assembly".
    When you have a lower that fits, and has a fire control group you like, use it as it was designed, modular.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yes! but we don't use the C word, it is an "affordable, quality, upper assembly".
    When you have a lower that fits, and has a fire control group you like, use it as it was designed, modular.
    My C word when talking AR's often is Colt. As far as cheap goes it has many meanings depending the person using it. The OP mentions 14.5 or maybe 13.7. The first thing that comes into my mind is a Colt SOCOM Upper.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    My C word when talking AR's often is Colt. As far as cheap goes it has many meanings depending the person using it. The OP mentions 14.5 or maybe 13.7. The first thing that comes into my mind is a Colt SOCOM Upper.
    Just kidding about the C word. My LGS always corrects me when I use it. Retort is usually we don’t sell any cheep shit, quality affordable prices only. which lately is also followed by, not in stock.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I am looking to cut my 16" inch BCM barrel down to 14.5 or maybe 13.7. Who are some good gunsmiths in the DFW area that I can have this work done? If not local are there businesses that I can send my upper to in another state?

Also, do I need to dissemble the barrel from the upper when having my barrel cut? I can remove and install the handguard but do they need to take the barrel off from the upper receiver?
    just buy a ballistic advantage or faxon barrel of that length and call it a day man.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't know about cutting down a barrel. I agree with the others, I'd just get another barrel of the length you prefer. With a cut barrel, if it's chrome-lined there's potential a bad job could screw up the lining. Also, there can be issues with the crown, significantly affecting accuracy. In general, I probably wouldn't trust most local smiths for stuff like that, unless they're a known name in the industry but, that's just my opinion.

As far as pin and welds, I had a 14.5 P&W done by John Thomas at Retro Arms Works, and I can highly recommend him! The weld job was fantastic. It shows up a bit more on pics but, in person, you can't hardly see it unless it's a couple inches from your eyes.

20230628_110422 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20230628_110634 - Copy.jpg

Because someone will ask:
    • LMT MARS-L lower, KAC SR-25 receiver extension (running an "A5" setup), FCD CN5F, FCD TGF, BCM furniture
    • Centurion C4 M-LOK 12" rail
    • Daniel Defense 14.5 mid-length barrel w/ LPG (#07-077-07308), Centurion 9315 flash hider (paid extra for John to add a small spacer to hit correct length)

630skirmish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2022
    Irving Texas
    I have a BCM® BFH 16" Mid Length Barrel which runs 325 and so far I've gotten quotes to shorten plus pin weld and assemble the barrel back for under 200. To buy the same barrel will run me 324 and doesn't include pin and welding.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I see the logic but S and S Precision gave me a quote to do everything under 200 bucks and the barrel was 325 and I would still have to pay for pin and weld.
    Sounds like you found your answer. What's the turn around time on doing it, and what's their references? When & see Sand S Precision I think of a company that sells tactical gear.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    This...
    BRD is real...

Joe

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I have a BCM® BFH 16" Mid Length Barrel which runs 325 and so far I've gotten quotes to shorten plus pin weld and assemble the barrel back for under 200. To buy the same barrel will run me 324 and doesn't include pin and welding.

You'll loose any warranty BCM has on the barrel, and in my experience, shortened barrels often don't shoot as well as ones from the factory.

Is the barrel chrome lined? If they cut it and re drill the gas port, the chrome will start chipping away.

Top Bottom